Club Or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you prefer your country won a world cup or Spurs won the league?

• Club

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Country

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
It may be unpatriotic of me, but club over country every time. I'd be super happy if England won the world cup, but spurs winning the league would mean more to me.

Last edited:
Part of me really hates it when England do well at the World Cup - all of a sudden there are people talking about it as if they know the ins and outs of the game, when at any other time they have no interest whatsoever.

I’d rather we win a reserve ladies match than Scotland winning the World Cup. Doubt I could name half a dozen of the Scotland team. And I’ve just realised I don’t know who the manager is. I don’t care enough to google it.

Maybe you could pop round and try to get a fecking tune out of the mrs.
Reminded me of an old joke....
Since by Jewish law a wife is entitled to sexual pleasure, they decide to
 consult their Rabbi.
The Rabbi listens to their story, strokes his beard, and makes the
following suggestion: 'Hire a strapping young man. While the two of you are
 making love, have the young man wave a towel over you. That will help your 
wife fantasize and should bring on an orgasm.'
They go home and follow the Rabbi's advice. They hire a handsome young man 
and he waves a towel over them as they make love. It does not help and the
 wife is still unsatisfied. Perplexed, they go back to the Rabbi.
"Okay,' he says to the husband, "Try it reversed. Have the young man make
love to your wife and you wave the towel over them."
Once again, they follow the Rabbi's advice. They go home and hire the same 
strapping young man.
The young man gets into bed with the wife and the husband waves the towel.
The young man gets to work with great enthusiasm and soon she has an
 enormous, room-shaking, ear-splitting screaming orgasm.
The husband smiles, looks at the young man and says to him triumphantly,
"See that, you schmuck? THAT'S how you wave a fucking towel."

If Malta ever won a competitive international game, it would be the equivalent of winning the World Cup!
As for my adoptive country, I only care about our players, in fact I tend to support whichever nation has the most Spurs players.
Even if I was born English, think it would be THFC everytime. When I think of the time, money, emotion and energy I have invested in this team, no way would I feel the same way about a national team.

I`m not a football fan - I`m a Spurs fan.

You can insult my country, but not my club.

I was 15 when i walked up High Road from Seven Sisters first time.

Coming from a foreign country seeing White Hart Lane in front of me for the very first time was like coming home.
I will never forget how the club with chairman S. Wale approach me when i was wondering around inside the old west stand, down the corridors where i was not supposed to be. The way they treated me and even let me have lunch with them will be my fondest memory of Spurs till i die.

COYS

You still haven't answered the question my friend...Scotland or Spurs ??
Tottenham Hotspur all day long and night and not just because I'm under no illusions my country of births national football is utter dogshite if that werent the case and they were world beaters it wouldn't make an ounce of difference it would still be Tottenham. I take more pride in my countrys rugby team at least I know they are making an effort.

Noone said it was mutually exclusive. But the whole point of the thread is "would you prefer...?"

I'm basing my response on England naturally through my own situation and experiences.
I think that's exactly the point... and one that you only truly know the answer to, when you experience watching both.
I've eaten a full roast dinner before whilst watching an England game at home...
But due to sheer nervous energy (and not wanting to miss a second) I don't think I could bear the idea of actually eating anything during a Spurs game... and therein lies the difference for me!!

I tried to eat a full roast dinner once whilst watching Wales. It was terrible, this guy nudged me and my roasters rolled off the plate onto the terraces then we scored and the crowd surged so I spilt all my gravy down this guys shirt collar ( he was not best pleased, had to give him my yorkshire pudding to calm him down). Finally it went quiet and I managed to eat a slice of beef and a few peas before we scored another and the plate went flying.....never again.
EXACTLY my point!

Thats why security don't let you take a roast dinner into a ground any more!!

Club 100%...
My parents where Irish and i was taken to Wembley by my old man in 1976 to watch England v Eire as a kid i wanted the new England admiral kit but didn't get it..boohoo but I did see walking up Wembley way a black man with a leather Jacket on and a green scarf around his neck.
That man was Phil Lynott of Thin lizzy and from that day and the Dundalk game at home 81 I followed the Republic of Ireland.
My friends started a supporters club in London in 1984 and I have seen the world with Ireland but nothing beats seeing Spurs win lose or draw.

International weeks are weeks off for me. I like that I can book weekends up years in advance knowing I'm not going to miss a Tottenham game.

Only people who say their country are the people who don't properly support clubs, or those people who don't like football - you know, the type who fill up all the pubs and the High Streets during the World Cups!

The fact it's even a question shows how little TalkShite understand about how football support works...

It's the same irritating assumption that the media make for any half decent football match "Being great for the Neutral"
...fuck the Neutral!
The neutral doesn't have his/her weekend ruined because of a last minute disallowed 'winning' goal... the 'neutral' didn't follow their club 150 miles up the M1 in 1982 for a midweek cup tie they lost, and had to travel back down the 150 miles in total silence!

ANY assumption that National football matters more to fans than club football is as out of touch, as it is naive!
You've only got to take THIS scenario into account;

Spurs win the League = all Woolwich fans are upset...
England win the World Cup = LOADS of Woolwich fans are happy....

Now be honest, what would you rather?
Unless a Spurs player plays or scores, I genuinely struggle to show much interest in the National team...
That goes for ANY National team btw...
If Argentina (with Lamela, Lo Celso, Foyth) played an England team WITHOUT any Spurs players in (for example) ...I know who I'd suppprt!

Back
Top Bottom