Club Or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you prefer your country won a world cup or Spurs won the league?

• Club

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Country

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
These days I only check the England line up in the hope that Harry or Dele aren’t starting so they don’t get injured. And if they do play I’ll check the BBC in case they did get crocked. Apart from that I can’t be bothered with qualifiers. And as for friendlies. :lamelaaghh:

I am old enough to have seen both. First year I supported Spurs they won double. Cannot remember 1962 World Cup and first time I supported England in World Cup in 66 they won it. Been downhill ever since.
No doubt I get more pleasure out of Spurs winning but many years ago decided I would never see Spurs win League or England a World Cup ever again. Still believe that but live in hope.

Not one of these threads. Obviously it is club before country, but they are not mutually exclusive are they? One of the great things about watching England, especially last summer, is watching it with all your mates and indeed the whole country. I would actually say I have more fun watching England - don't have many spurs mates and some of the fans around me in the stadium are absolutely vile.

I used to be a massive England fan, but a succession of terrible managers, most of them FA "yes" men led to me slowly losing interest.
England pissed away so many talented squads and won nothing, bit like us in recent times.

I now loathe international qualifiers and friendlies. Just seed the top teams and play International games in the summer only. Save the players legs a bit. I mean England vs Bulgaria? who really gives a solitary toss...

I only care about WC and Euro. Tottenham is part of my life the whole year. My dad cannot understand it, but what can you do.
We are a country for just 30 years,so it's bit different.

Club. Every time. It was cool when Albania qualified for the first time in a major tournament (Euro 2016) and when we scored our first goal there, or when we beat the likes of France/Greece etc, but it does not even come close to the feeling of when Moura scored v Ajax, or that disallowed goal of City. Even though nothing compares to listening to your national anthem before a football game, Spurs have made me cry, Albania hasn't (and since I'm Balkanic, I'm much more patriotic/moron than most of the world when it comes to my country)

I think you have to consider what winning a WC would do for football in the US. Winning the WC would be massive for England football fans, but it's not going to make the sport any popular than it already is in England. Whereas if the US were to miraculously win one, it could change the future of the sport in our country for the better. Could change it.

One thing to understand about American soccer fans is that we are above all else evangelists for the game itself, born of growing up in a country where the game was obscure and made fun of.

Maybe that's less true of the teens these days, but anyone on the wrong side of 30 knows about being shit on by Americans for being a soccer fan and by soccer fans for being an American. The US winning the World Cup would be the ultimate vindication for that.

Part of me really hates it when England do well at the World Cup - all of a sudden there are people talking about it as if they know the ins and outs of the game, when at any other time they have no interest whatsoever.

This.
Last summer was pathetic. Beat cannon fodder like Panama then need penalties to best Columbia and half the country think we will win it and anoint Gareth fucking Southgate the second coming.

He's as wet as any of his predecessors. Euro 2020 will be a repeat of every tournament before it - sail through qualifying because we always get an easy group then come unstuck the first time we play anyone half decent.

English footballers on their own look bang average against proper world class teams at tournaments.
They look great in the premier league, mostly because theres not 11 of them and they're not managed by a wobbly bottom lipped no hoper.

I support England in cricket. Never really cared about the football team though. I like the current crop since there's been a fair bit of Spurs representation over the last few years and Gareth Southgate is a likeable man but England football fans are such tryhard cunts.

"such try-hard cunts".
If that translates as beer guzzling flag waving national anthem singing barmy's, I think I agree with you. I don't go to England matches as there are way too many absolute pricks in attendance. :deledoubt:

Is it just me that thinks major international championships of years gone by introduced some fantastic, never heard of before players to the world?
Now a days it’s stats up to the eyeballs and a who’s who of international football superstars..... I mean when your sitting in a pub and over hear local English men arguing about who Holland or Belgium or fucking Germany should select for the upcoming squad you know at that point the international game has lost something, English men debating at length who other squads should pick, Jesus we shouldn’t even know who plays for them let alone debate them......

Na, the international game has become too FIFA 20, its no fun anymore, maybe that’s the price paid for the top 6 having 75% internationals in their squads, we fucking know every player now!!

Oh dear your're even contradicting yourself now.
I refer you to your own post.

I agree with Mercurial

:dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol:

You’re a knob:

Ireland is one country is the point. Why else would it offend some to say otherwise. The north of Ireland housing the occupied counties.
And I’m not accepting Eire just as the nationalists and republicans seemingly don’t!

Back
Top Bottom