Tactics under Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

[FORMATION=433, Lloris, Walker-Peters, Sanchez, Toby, Rose, Dier, Lo Celso, Winks, Lucas, Kane, Son][/FORMATION]

This is my thinking, Dele to be made an 'example' of and axed then sold next summer. Money to be spent on full backs, Aurier to be first choice at the beginning but Jose to hate him. Toby to sign on - Jan and Vertonghen out in Jan or contracts expire. Rose to be sold. Ndombele to become a bit part player. Been trying to find videos of him talking about us on Sky cause I think those would be interesting to watch now. As much as I wanted Poch to stay and think this is the wrong call, I am excited that now I have no clue what is going to happen. It's almost like getting dumped and then you come to the realisation that now you're single you can do whatever you want.
Lo Celso would never play in the holding role in a 4-3-3

He’s a Demi God in Portugal. The opening news in every news station was him signing. Never saw Tottenham do the headlines in Portugal. Not even when qualified for the European final. He will be a HUGE draw to sign Portuguese players and top players in general

Oh Lordy.

I'm starting to warm to the idea.

:myword:

Lo Celso would never play in the holding role in a 4-3-3
That was actually because I couldn't find the formation code for a 4-3-3 with two holding midfielders, that was for him playing as a 10. I love that people are taking that as if I want that, that is clearly a prediction of what I think Mourinho is going to do.

Gazza
Foyth Toby Sanchez Rose
Winks Dier Ndombele
Lo Celso Kane Son

Think likely to see a 4-3-3. Mourinho from memory tends to like an all round attacking number 10 as a false wide forward.

If you take Willian at Chelsea we have Lo Celso who can do the same, tackle and track back allowing us to ‘park the bus’ but also link and create. Lo Celso is ready made for José’s system IMO.

Dier will almost certainly be there to cover for the defensive frailties of Winks and Ndombele, although all will be expected to work like dogs.

Toby also looked to have fallen out with Poch or something, he hasn’t been right for a while. Him and Verts could quickly be back to old form especially if Dier successfully takes up DM again. Still think we need a top class DM.

Gazza
Foyth Toby Sanchez Rose
Winks Dier Ndombele
Lo Celso Kane Son

Think likely to see a 4-3-3. Mourinho from memory tends to like an all round attacking number 10 as a false wide forward.

If you take Willian at Chelsea we have Lo Celso who can do the same, tackle and track back allowing us to ‘park the bus’ but also link and create. Lo Celso is ready made for José’s system IMO.

Dier will almost certainly be there to cover for the defensive frailties of Winks and Ndombele, although all will be expected to work like dogs.

Toby also looked to have fallen out with Poch or something, he hasn’t been right for a while. Him and Verts could quickly be back to old form especially if Dier successfully takes up DM again. Still think we need a top class DM.
I think that's pretty close. I'd switch GLC for Winks and then put Lamela or Lucas up front.

I'm just not sure he's up to it anymore.

But Mourinho will definitely put a great deal of faith in him. Absolutely loves that sort of player.

I'm just not sure he's up to it anymore.

But Mourinho will definitely put a great deal of faith in him. Absolutely loves that sort of player.
Supposedly he only signed Matic as Spurs wouldn’t sell him Dier so he could well be a favourite son of Mourinho’s.

Gazza
Foyth Toby Sanchez Rose
Winks Dier Ndombele
Lo Celso Kane Son

Yes agreed. I think a top class DM is holding us back from playing a real 4-3-3 with Ndombele and Lo Celso sitting just above the DM.

We have a very unbalanced squad. Most players are best playing a central role. Son is the only proven wide player.

Jose's first act will be tightening up the D.

Just hope he builds around Kane, Son, Ndombele, Lo Celso, and Sanchez.

If we can set up a deeper block with a midfield 3 and wide forwards, with the intention to break at pace and play on the counter, we could easily field a team very suited to that approach and I think we would be pretty successful straight away with it.

Wouldn't be the most pretty but I'm sure it couldn't be any less effective than our recent gameplans.

Tactics you say?!
E7-D5-E0-F1-A370-4-A28-90-E5-3-BA7-B637-C454.jpg

Welcome to the wacky world of 1 goal wins
A clean sheet would be an improvement....................

Lo Celso loan/ buy deal now looks a great call.
If Jose likes, buy.
If not, send back. Then he has a guaranteed £55m to spend.
Under Poch it was an auto buy.
That's a great point.
Levy/Poch's buys with no English experience have mainly been piss poor.
I like what I have seen so far from GLC, though.
But I am hoping and praying that JM will be buying better than Poch did.

I'm not going to try and anticipate Mourinho's tactics and team choices but Ndombele was billed as the new Michael Essien when we signed him so we might see a bit more of him now. I'm also particularly interested to see what he does to shore up our defence.
Ndombele has been a massive disappointment to me. He was subbed off in the last game because he was tired!
But Sissoko also said it was fatiguing playing as Poch wanted. So fingers crossed that under JM Ndombele can show us more of his undoubted talent and also cut out the show boating.

Going to put this out there but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot more of Eriksen. It’s going to be hugely unpopular but I reckon one of the first things Mourinho will do is sit him down and tell him to work his ass off or he can spend the rest of the season in the youth squad. He’ll probably start at West Ham and play an absolute blinder.

Ndombele has been a massive disappointment to me. He was subbed off in the last game because he was tired!
But Sissoko also said it was fatiguing playing as Poch wanted. So fingers crossed that under JM Ndombele can show us more of his undoubted talent and also cut out the show boating.
He was subbed off in the last game because he was injured. He pulled his groin.

Back
Top Bottom