What do you expect for the rest of the season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah based on the quality of the manager and most of the squad.
The problem for you is that you thought the squad only got 4th and to a CL final due to a miracle worker.
So you judged on that basis. After 12wks that was pretty naive
As I did.

Ok if we get 4th and a CL final then JM is not a miracle worker?

5th place is my prediction, not too bad considering how many awful performances there have been. Better next season.

All of the 'big 6' plus Leicester and Sheffield Utd are still in the FA Cup, so that's still a very big ask to win. But don't rule us out.

Not at all. I said 4th to 6th. If he gets 4th then he’s got what I think this squad is capable of.
Even before Bergwijn signed (who was Njie wasn’t he)
Ok so just to be clear, if JM gets 4th and a CL final, he is not a miracle worker?

Ok so just to be clear, if JM gets 4th and a CL final, he is not a miracle worker?
Not in the slightest.
This was never a mid table squad. It was one that was run into the ground physically and mentally and had key players who wanted out.

Right now we are in transition, but I think 4th to 6th is where we will finish under Jose.
I think we would have finished about 14th under Poch.

Not in the slightest.
This was never a mid table squad. It was one that was run into the ground physically and mentally and had key players who wanted out.

Right now we are in transition, but I think 4th to 6th is where we will finish under Jose.
I think we would have finished about 14th under Poch.
Anything less than 4th and a CL final then means that JM has underperformed then according to you.

It matters because it’s funny to see people who were pining after Poch and claiming we weren’t better off under Jose now getting all tingly at the thought of 4th...

Im still saying 4th-6th. You’re now on the fence after being confident of mid table 3wks ahi.

Again, that’s fine. Maybe not judge after 12 weeks next time though

:adethumbup:
Poch is gone - let go man

Anything less than 4th and a CL final then means that JM has underperformed then according to you.
How so?
Poch got 38 games to finish 4th and started when everyone was on zero points.

Jose will get 26 games and started some 11pts off 4th.

If Jose takes 5 years to finish 4th and lose two finals and five semis while winning nothing with the squad he built, I won’t find it miraculous

How so?
Poch got 38 games to finish 4th and started when everyone was on zero points.

Jose will get 26 games and started some 11pts off 4th.

If Jose takes 5 years to finish 4th and lose two finals and five semis while winning nothing with the squad he built, I won’t find it miraculous
Right, but you said you think the squad is capable of 4th and you also said he isn't a miracle worker if he gets us there and to a CL final.

It’s going to be harder without Kane, clearly, but fourth place and winning the FA Cup are within reach.
The Champions League is going to be tough, getting past Leipzig is doable but a lot will depend on how Mourinho juggles his resources from now til the end of the season, the attacking options in particular.
He has the experience and know how but I think it goes without saying Kane’s absence and not getting a loan striker in at least to cover make it a big challenge.
If Dele misses the Southampton replay with Bergwijn ineligible his forward options are down to the bare bones.

Right, but you said you think the squad is capable of 4th and you also said he isn't a miracle worker if he gets us there and to a CL final.
So what?
Doesn’t change the fact he has had 12 less games than Poch, minus the previous 6 pre seasons with the squad.
He’s also signed two new players......they could take two years to show quality right......?

Oh no that’s right, it only took about an hour for one of them didn’t it....

You’re the only one talking about the CL final.

I’ve said from day one its fairer to judge his tenure after a full season with his own squad.

The most important difference is that if Jose is here for five years, I believe we will have won a couple trophies.

So what?
Doesn’t change the fact he has had 12 less games than Poch, minus the previous 6 pre seasons with the squad.
He’s also signed two new players......they could take two years to show quality right......?

Oh no that’s right, it only took about an hour for one of them didn’t it....

You’re the only one talking about the CL final.

So anything less than 4th and a CL final is under performing according to you. He won't be a miracle worker if he gets us to the CL final. I think you'll be the only one that thinks so.
I’ve said from day one its fairer to judge his tenure after a full season with his own squad.

The most important difference is that if Jose is here for five years, I believe we will have won a couple trophies.
But you've made a judgement on him already.

We've improved under Jose both from a results and an underlying numbers standpoint. Lo Celso, Ndombele and Bergwjin all look to be excellent buys, Tanganga is a revelation, and we gotten rid of most of the deadweight.

I've thought we've been in the top 4 race all year just because of the state of the table and nothing has changed my mind. So my expectations are the same as they were at the beginning of the year: top 4 finish, another good CL run, and hopefully an FA Cup.

After five years yes that would be poor
I'm not talking about after 5 years though, I'm obviously talking about this season.

I’ve judged him on his 22 trophies and managerial expertise, not the 16 weeks of his Spurs tenure
No you're judging him now, you've already said you expect 4 to 6 and indeed already indicated he won't be a miracle worker if he gets us 4th and a CL final.

Back
Top Bottom