Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur (07/03/20) (5.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After that extra half hour we played a couple of games ago and another game in a couple of days time, I'd see how much I can get out of this starting XI, with probable subs mid-game for Ndombele, Lamela and Bergwijn. Not the best starting XI but rotation is a must as we need to go to Leipzig and see if something can drop for us:

[FORMATION=4321,Lloris,Tanganga,Alderweireld,Dier,Davies,Ndombele,Skipp,Gedson,Lamela,Sessegnon,Bergwijn][/FORMATION]

Hopefully this starting XI will allow us to play a smiliar formation vs Leipzig of Lloris, Aurier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Davies, Lo Celso, Winks, Gedson, Lucas, Bergwijn, Dele.

What pub are the away ones today? Making my way across this afternoon and being as I only have 2 eyes and all my own teeth I’m sure it will be obvious I’m not from Burnley so would rather drink amongst yids!

Yeah we're tough to watch, but let's remember that in the past month or so we've lost 3 of our top 4 scorers over the past 5 seasons. That is basically impossible to replace, and would drastically affect any team. If anything, I just feel sorry for the players and coaching staff

Last edited:
To be fair though, that Man City win was the biggest, luckiest smash-and-grab you'll see this season. And Southampton fans will probably feel they deserved something from the FA Cup tie (and not without basis). And then wasn't the next game a hard-fought 3-2 last-minute jobbie again?

My point is that there hasn't been the sea change in average performance level that those strings of letters would suggest. Much like how Spurs still weren't great this season with both Kane and Son. The results in isolation add a certain simplistic absolutism to the murkier systemic problem of a team that just isn't very good at the moment.

Or, in other words, don't let all the Ws distract anyone from the dire situation outside of Kane and Son. The team was performing badly, then they took away Kane and things got worse, then they took away Son and without Kane or Son, things got tragic. Things will still be bad (better but bad) when Kane and Son return unless the rest of the team changes their tune. And that's what these games right now should be about: trying to get a tune out of everyone else, so that when the main men do come back, they make the team actually good (rather than just bringing back enough individual brilliance to keep Spurs afloat like they were before).

I'm just trying to temper expectations so that nobody makes the very easy mistake of thinking that things will immediately and sharply improve as soon as either Kane or Son is back. The team has been relying on one of those two to outperform statistical expectations to win games for at least a year now and it isn't going to happen all or even a supermajority of the time[1]. Some of the recent wins are simply evidence of times the hopeful strategy worked.

[1] It will work more than half the time, though, almost by definition. Kane, especially, and Son are world class precisely because they so often outperform expectation (as defined statistically).
How did Leicester win the PL!!!

Yeah we're tough to watch, but let's remember that in the past month or so we've lost our 3 of our top 4 scorers over the past 5 seasons. That is basically impossible to replace, and would drastically affect any team. If anything, I just feel sorry for the players and coaching staff
If only there had been some sort of "transfer window" mechanism in January through which we could acquire cover

Let’s be honest we are a bang average team made to look even worse without our 2 key men Son and Kane. We are toothless upfront without these guys. We are dogshit in defence. I don’t see us getting a win until one of Son/ Kane is back. By then, it be to late anyway to salvage anything from this season. I expect another shit performance today with us going out the CL next week. Season is effectively over unfortunately.

If only there had been some sort of "transfer window" mechanism in January through which we could acquire cover
I don't disagree but the players and manager can't be blamed for that. As long as they show effort I won't be too emotional for the rest of this season. Play some kids and go again next season

Burnley will play their usual game and it’s never an easy place to go at the best of times, so for a Spurs team lacking in confidence and form it looks like an even tougher fixture today.
Would like to see Dier stay at CB for this and hopefully GLC continues his recent good form.
Aside from the team selection I think unless Spurs are up for a fight today the game won’t go well.

Back
Top Bottom