Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur (07/03/20) (5.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sorry but people actually want Skipp to start???? He was all over the place yesterday and Norwich were cutting through the midfield like it was going out of fashion. Not a good performance at all.

Personally I think 4-4-2 diamond is the way to go as central midfield is where we have the most options and none of the options in attack can play up top by themselves.

---------------------Lloris------------------------
Aurier---------Dier-----Toby------Vertonghen
----‐-----------------Winks-----------------------
--------------N'dombele---Gedson-------------
----------------------Lo Celso--------------------,-
------------‐-----Alli-------Lamela----------------

Dier and Vertonghen played well yesterday so should start. Gedson was also very good so deserves a start.
Not sure what game you were watching, but Skipp was our best player along with Lo Celso.

Burnley again without injured trio against Spurs

Burnley will again be without injured trio Ashley Barnes, Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Matt Lowton for the home clash with Spurs on Saturday night.

While Jose Mourinho has injury problems of his own, Sean Dyche Will again be unable to call on some key members of his squad at Turf Moor.

Barnes has been out since the defeat fo Aston Villa ok New Year’s Day after hernia surgery, while Gudmundsson has not featured since the FA Cup win over Peterborough on January 4th with a hamstring problem - only returning to the bench at Southampton two weeks ago, before suffering a calf injury.

Lowton has missed the last three games with a knee injury picked up against Woolwich.

Dyche said: "Barnesy is back on the grass with us now, which is another step forward for him.

”He is not ready for this weekend but he is back in full training which will do him the world of good.

"Johann is still not quite there, It is minor, but frustrating for him and for us.
"Lowts we are protecting at the moment as he comes back from a knee injury.

”Hopefully it is not going to turn into anything serious, we don't think it is at this stage, but he is working with the medical department at the moment."

I was going 5-0 Burnley but having read that I will alter it to 4-0.

You seem to cut Dier a hell of a lot of slack but are right in on Ndom aren't you Sammy? And no one has said Dier was a 'shit DM' but his game has glaring weaknesses easily exploited because he is not a MF. HIs 'good' game today was due to having no pressure. If we make the mistake of playing him there against pressure he will be 'shit'. But neither assessment will be accurate.

And where does just turning 23, moving to a new league/the most intense league, having injuries, etc come into you 'cutting some slack' scale? It doesn't because you were in on him early on. But Dier, he of the very average 3 seasons + you are breaking your neck excusing. And he's really not been any better than Dele in this time...who you also can't find any slack to cut. Hmmmmmmmmmm
Dier was here when we were peak, and integral part of it all. He cost 3.5M

He has been a great servant at RB, CB and DM, doing what he has to for the manager and never complaining or bitching on the pitch or off it.

He has suffered a bad illness, and is fighting through it, and clawing his way into recognition despite the absolute pasting he’s taken from the same fans that crack one off over uncommitted prima donnas who want out.

Took his 28 minute sub like a man while the world laughed, no tantrums no interviews just got back out there next game and did his job.

I don’t give two FUCKS about Ndombele

Appreciate its unlikely but have a spare in the away end today which I’ll give away for FREE if someone wants to collect from Hebden Bridge (about 20 mins away from Turf Moor).

Annoyed as was looking forward to visiting a new ground but wife too ill to look after baby so have to forgo.
However rather than see it go to waste will give it to a TFCer....on off chance anyone happens to be heading up without a ticket.

I couldn't help myself...

BjgDChL.jpg

Yeah, I'm not buying the 'José picking a victim' narrative here.

Ndombele is one of our most frustrating players at the moment and we aren't privy to the effort he's putting in during training either.

He didn't throw him under the bus when he first took charge - it's been months now and we can see what Tanguy is doing (or rather not doing) on the pitch. It's no witch hunt.

He was asked what was the difference between the two halves, was it the substitutions? What was missing. He said he didn't want to talk about it. When pressed, he said that there were substitutions because something was missing, and it had nothing to do with Skipp as he put in a lot of effort and is continuing to develop and grow.

It wasn't a sustained, direct attack on him but he made it clear that he assigned a lot of blame on the first half on his back and was the reason for the change.

Well he’s not wrong, is he? For £65m I’d expect someone of his reputation to be able to impose themselves on Burnley, even if it’s only in spurts. If he can’t handle some real talk then he’s probably not cut out for this level.

People will bang on about his performances against City in the CL but Wilson Palacios played a blinder against peak AC Milan in the CL all those years ago. The PL is our bread and butter and he doesn’t look like he can handle it.

The setup in the 1st half was predictably an absolute disaster.

- 5 centre backs all just stood assuming each other would deal with any danger.
- the out of position full/wingbacks not having the physical attributes to play the position and join attacks.
- a 2 man midfield against their 4 consisting of a rookie and an out of form and unfit player who needs protection to be effective.
- 3 forwards all playing through the middle of a highly organized opponent.
- our attacks were a 3-4 vs 6-7 battle and theirs were the opposite.

Just chilling after getting home at 01.30am from last night's game and Minder is on the TV.

Arthur takes his jacket off to front up some kid and Terry tells him to put it back on because 'you look like a Spurs supporter in those braces'.

Made me laugh anyway.

Back
Top Bottom