Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Selling Kane to reinvest in the squad is the footballing equivalent of winning the lottery and then buying a fuckload of euromillions tickets with it because the prize pool is bigger.

One would think/hope that what with Kane, Son, GLC, Ndombele in place we already have the more expensive peices of the puzzle.

We've brought in 6 players this year. How on earth is that continuing to avoiding the matter?

If Kane was a year or two older, I may tend to agree about "half-assing it", but as it is I'm keen to finish the rebuild around him to get this next team up and running.
This next team could take 4/5 year's before it starts to go close to making an impact, will he wait that long mmmm probably not, then it's back to start again mode and so on.
Still at least the speculation is keeping everyone interested whilst the world is on pause.....

We shouldn’t be selling Kane until he tells us he wants to leave and even then only when he has two years left on his deal

However there are so many gaps in this squad that we will not plug because it will cost too much money , in theory selling Kane could help us improve overall by plugging these gaps but everyone knows we would just piss the money up the wall on a load of overhyped crap

Either way don’t expect us to be challenging for anything significant any time soon , think we need to come to terms with the fact that we are set for a return to the days before Poch where 5th or 6th was a good to great season

This next team could take 4/5 year's before it starts to go close to making an impact, will he wait that long mmmm probably not, then it's back to start again mode and so on.
Still at least the speculation is keeping everyone interested whilst the world is on pause.....

As already alluded to, I'm more thinking another 2 years (ideally) from HK (he'll be 28 by then and still have a big move in him if he wants one).... I think 4-5 years is an over statement.... The players I mentioned would all be 4/5 years older by then and we'll be having the 'should we sell conversation' about them by then..... And let's face it, if the likes of GLC & Ndombele take another 5 years to make an impact, then they aren't the players we hope they'll be.

We shouldn’t be selling Kane until he tells us he wants to leave and even then only when he has two years left on his deal

However there are so many gaps in this squad that we will not plug because it will cost too much money , in theory selling Kane could help us improve overall by plugging these gaps but everyone knows we would just piss the money up the wall on a load of overhyped crap

Either way don’t expect us to be challenging for anything significant any time soon , think we need to come to terms with the fact that we are set for a return to the days before Poch where 5th or 6th was a good to great season

Such a cheerful fellow ...

As already alluded to, I'm more thinking another 2 years (ideally) from HK (he'll be 28 by then and still have a big move in him if he wants one).... I think 4-5 years is an over statement.... The players I mentioned would all be 4/5 years older by then and we'll be having the 'should we sell conversation' about them by then..... And let's face it, if the likes of GLC & Ndombele take another 5 years to make an impact, then they aren't the players we hope they'll be.
GLC and Ndombele are gifted players my concern is whether we find the right framing for them, there is a real player in the latter one a sort of Yaya toure type

Keep Kane and continue with the status quo: More likely than not, 5/6th place team for the next 2+ years then who knows what happens after that. Zero trophies likely.
Keep Kane, sell other players on the squad, try to strengthen in other areas: More likely, a failed attempt without the necessary big money transfer funds unless maybe we sell Sonny/Dele.
Sell Kane but keep rest of the team in tact: Not much changes than the status quo w/ Kane. More likely than not, 5-7th place team over the next 2+ years. Zero trophies likely.
Sell Kane and rebuild with some of our core parts: Have an opportunity to rebuild, strengthen weak areas, get younger AND possibly get better.

Keep Kane and continue with the status quo: More likely than not, 5/6th place team for the next 2+ years then who knows what happens after that. Zero trophies likely.
Keep Kane, sell other players on the squad, try to strengthen in other areas: More likely, a failed attempt without the necessary big money transfer funds unless maybe we sell Sonny/Dele.
Sell Kane but keep rest of the team in tact: Not much changes than the status quo w/ Kane. More likely than not, 5-7th place team over the next 2+ years. Zero trophies likely.
Sell Kane and rebuild with some of our core parts: Have an opportunity to rebuild, strengthen weak areas, get younger AND possibly get better.

Keep Kane. Ditch Eugekhan. :mourthumb:

GLC and Ndombele are gifted players my concern is whether we find the right framing for them, there is a real player in the latter one a sort of Yaya toure type

DM & improving the back 4 should go a long way (esp. in terms of getting the best out of the above duo).

Given the options we have with Kane, Son, Dele, Lucas, Lamela, Bergwijn, GLC & Ndomble I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel gameplay-wise.

These stats are only from the EPL, but someone scores more goals on a consistent basis and we shouldn’t think of selling him whilst he is entering his prime.

Son:

Premier League Playing Career
label.tablePlayerClubHistory
SeasonClubApps (Subs)GoalsMore
2019/2020Tottenham Hotspur21 (1)9
2018/2019Tottenham Hotspur31 (8)12
2017/2018Tottenham Hotspur37 (10)12
2016/2017Tottenham Hotspur34 (11)14
2015/2016Tottenham Hotspur28 (15)4

Kane:

Premier League Playing Career
label.tablePlayerClubHistory
SeasonClubApps (Subs)GoalsMore
2019/2020Tottenham Hotspur20 (0)11
2018/2019Tottenham Hotspur28 (1)17
2017/2018Tottenham Hotspur37 (2)30
2016/2017Tottenham Hotspur30 (1)29
2015/2016Tottenham Hotspur38 (0)25

This isn't taking into account everything else he brings to the team...

Why have we been able to score/win/get results without Kane? If he's really that important to the team, when he went down, we should have fallen off a cliff and had terrible results but if you look at the numbers, it's quite the opposite. Other players stepped up and we pulled through. The absence of Kane, hasn't been as detrimental to the overall team as many fans here think.

I must have missed all your joyful, glowing posts when things were going well. :adethumbup:

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. :avbnaa:
I am deeply sorry that I can’t be the poster you want me to be and the one that you deserve

I guess we are gonna have to go our separate ways

:sonpoint:

DM & improving the back 4 should go a long way (esp. in terms of getting the best out of the above duo).

Given the options we have with Kane, Son, Dele, Lucas, Lamela, Bergwijn, GLC & Ndomble I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel gameplay-wise.
Apart from obvious positions balance to the squad is key at the moment it's unbalanced.

Why have we been able to score/win/get results without Kane? If he's really that important to the team, when he went down, we should have fallen off a cliff and had terrible results but if you look at the numbers, it's quite the opposite. Other players stepped up and we pulled through. The absence of Kane, hasn't been as detrimental to the overall team as many fans here think.

From an article 11/01/20;

Win percentage is better with him, not to mention it appears the guys has played a lot of games before this recent injury.
Pretty good for someone who is past it if you ask me...

With Kane starting

Played: 187

Won: 107

Lost: 42

Drawn: 38

Goals for: 359

Points per game: 1.9

Win rate: 57.2%

Loss rate: 22.5%

Goals per game: 1.91

Without Kane starting

Played: 24

Won: 11

Lost: 7

Drawn: 6

Goals for: 31

Points per game: 1.6

Win rate: 45.8%

Loss rate: 29.2%

Goals per game: 1.29

Which is the long mediocrity I was alluding to and you are mentioning one way to its genesis. Trying to appease a current star rarely works but it often happens in football. And if we set out to do it in this instance then you have illustrated here how it is likely to go wrong; players take time to gel, Mou self-combusts next season, new (old) players don't match Mou's replacement, Harry finally fucks off because it's going nowhere fast, etc etc. Before you look it's 5-6 seasons of nothingness gone.

Look at recent examples of ManU and Real. ManU spending big for immediate success has now taken them 8+ seasons to realize they should have accepted the rebuild and done it with an actual plan in the first place but they tried to shortcut it because "we're Man United" etc etc. Now they've tripped into this Ole-era but it's the best thing to happen to them in going on a decade...the rebuild they've needed since Fergie.

Real needed a rebuild but there was reluctance at the top. Genius move by Zidane made everyone see it and accept it. Now out go the stars of old looking for immediate success and in comes hungry young players without the spectre of old glories. But even RM were slow to notice the need for a rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom