Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pretty good for someone who is past it if you ask me...
No one is arguing this. But if this is blowing your mind imagine the real scenario of folks (me included) saying that he may be at the height of his powers but it might be in the club's best interest to move him on. A real mind-blower, eh?

No one is arguing this. But if this is blowing your mind imagine the real scenario of folks (me included) saying that he may be at the height of his powers but it might be in the club's best interest to move him on. A real mind-blower, eh?
You think he wont improve past 26?
It's not like he is reliant on pace...

You think he wont improve past 26?
It's not like he is reliant on pace...
Another thing (bolded) that no one said. Do you think he will? In what ways beyond scoring output? And point me to the many strikers that have gone on leaps and bounds for the rest of their careers beyond what they were at 26. At 26 a player is already 'form' and not much typically changes unless their environment changes.

No, I think he may improve his understanding of the game. If you were ever a player in your time and played a pickup game with an 'old man' who barely ever moved yet was always in the right place then you would understand what I'm talking about. But in that capacity his value would be focused on scoring and the team would still be focused on 1 player. That's not an ideal situation.

But even if he does improve he will have and has always had a ceiling that is not far beyond what we have already seen. Some of that is due to athleticism and some of that is due to technical things. Either way IMO a compelling argument can be made to evaluate alternatives.

Another thing (bolded) that no one said. Do you think he will? In what ways beyond scoring output? And point me to the many strikers that have gone on leaps and bounds for the rest of their careers beyond what they were at 26. At 26 a player is already 'form' and not much typically changes unless their environment changes.

No, I think he may improve his understanding of the game. If you were ever a player in your time and played a pickup game with an 'old man' who barely ever moved yet was always in the right place then you would understand what I'm talking about. But in that capacity his value would be focused on scoring and the team would still be focused on 1 player. That's not an ideal situation.

But even if he does improve he will have and has always had a ceiling that is not far beyond what we have already seen. Some of that is due to athleticism and some of that is due to technical things. Either way IMO a compelling argument can be made to evaluate alternatives.
I think its definitely being implied that his contribution is about to fall off a cliff or something.
Otherwise, why would you want to sell him?
Who are you going to replace him with that would be cheaper and have the immediate effect he does?

I do get what you mean by playing with older guys, but you are talking about a top athlete here at 26 not some old fella down the park.
At this stage his contribution is enough for us to be using him as the spearhead and building our team around him.
Should his athleticism start to fade then he will still probably be banging in 20 a season as a fox in the box with someone else being more pivotal for the team, I can't see his scoring prowess dropping too quickly.

I guess I just cannot get my head around selling Kane at this stage, even if its 200mil...
We don't invest well and we will be losing one of the top strikers in Europe.

I think its definitely being implied that his contribution is about to fall off a cliff or something.
Inference and implication are two different things. At no point did I nor any of the more prominent "investigate selling Kane" posters say he was going to turn shit soon. Perhaps that is just what you took it to mean. My argument is almost irrespective of his performance. Others can speak for themselves.

Otherwise, why would you want to sell him?
The reasons have been laid out many a time in the past few pages.

Who are you going to replace him with that would be cheaper and have the immediate effect he does?
Seriously, read the last few pages. It's like wack-a-mole with the same response everyday.

I do get what you mean by playing with older guys, but you are talking about a top athlete here at 26 not some old fella down the park.
I don't even know what you are trying to say here. My point was that people gain a better understanding of the game beyond when they have the athleticism to pull shit off. I was point out that Kane will gain that in response to your point of pace not being a main attribute. But in other areas it remains to be seen if he will improve.

At this stage his contribution is enough for us to be using him as the spearhead and building our team around him.
Did you read my point about a ceiling? Spearhead our team to what level? How about the many, many cases of this failing and the star player leaving and the club being left with an array of hastily purchased shit to satisfy a star.

Should his athleticism start to fade then he will still probably be banging in 20 a season as a fox in the box with someone else being more pivotal for the team, I can't see his scoring prowess dropping too quickly.
So you are saying benching one of our own because he'd have become a poacher? How will that go over? And what about the opportunity cost just like in CE's case?

I guess I just cannot get my head around selling Kane at this stage, even if its 200mil...
We don't invest well and we will be losing one of the top strikers in Europe.
It's like wack-a-mole...

Inference and implication are two different things. At no point did I nor any of the more prominent "investigate selling Kane" posters say he was going to turn shit soon. Perhaps that is just what you took it to mean. My argument is almost irrespective of his performance. Others can speak for themselves.

Seriously, read the last few pages. It's like wack-a-mole with the same response everyday.

I don't even know what you are trying to say here. My point was that people gain a better understanding of the game beyond when they have the athleticism to pull shit off. I was point out that Kane will gain that in response to your point of pace not being a main attribute. But in other areas it remains to be seen if he will improve.

Did you read my point about a ceiling? Spearhead our team to what level? How about the many, many cases of this failing and the star player leaving and the club being left with an array of hastily purchased shit to satisfy a star.

So you are saying benching one of our own because he'd have become a poacher? How will that go over? And what about the opportunity cost just like in CE's case?

It's like wack-a-mole...
Jesus.....you do go on a bit sometimes. It's only football......

It's like wack-a-mole...

You say it's like wack-a-mole but the same question is being asked because no one has come up with a valid replacement/alternative.
For context my posts were in response to a user suggesting we sell Kane so Son can take the ST position, do you think this is a good idea as I can't locate a comment from you suggesting what you think we should do?
Maybe you are just playing devils advocate?
I am not sure why you have taken them as a reference to your comments/opinions in this thread.

I think the club will be worse off without Kane than with him for the foreseeable future, if you disagree then OK just say so.
I'll leave it there because I am not sure what you are getting at.

You say it's like wack-a-mole but the same question is being asked because no one has come up with a valid replacement/alternative.
That's not true for either part of it. It's become WAM because a new poster pops up everyday incredulous that someone would suggest such a thing as if they'd do that lightly considering the player's position in the club and supporters' minds.

In the WAM responses, first has been the ridicule "oh noz, sell HK? These posters are A) not really Spurs or B) crazy/know nothing about football or C) some other BS personal attack that sidesteps the point in question yet gets the peanut gallery rating them away in their drooling zeal to shut down the convo"... Did I get that about right?

Then there are the responses of 'negotiation' of 'we shouldn't do it because you can't replace 30 goals' or 'ambition' or 'not a selling club' etc etc etc. These aren't counter arguments to the point of selling him. They are emotional and irrational pleas that don't really have a place in decisions like this and I hope DL isn't considering them as opposed to what may be in the best long-term interest of the club. What do you do when you have an asset at the top of a bubble that you don't see? Corona may have popped that bubble but that shouldn't stop him from investigating. I was open to investigating last summer in the painful rebuild that never occurred.

For context my posts were in response to a user suggesting we sell Kane so Son can take the ST position, do you think this is a good idea as I can't locate a comment from you suggesting what you think we should do?
I am unconcerned about your back and forth with another poster. I only called you up on your mischaracterization of the 'sell HK position'
Pretty good for someone who is past it if you ask me...

And as far as seeing my positions you haven't looked hard enough because they are there. And arguing over what to do about 'replacing' HK is putting the cart before the horse here. As I've stated before the 'what' is selling HK. That is what we are debating. The replacements or what to do tactically is the 'how' (ie how do we proceed after selling HK) and that comes after deciding on the 'what'. I know the tactic of shooting down options as a way to attack the former but it's foolish. It doesn't matter in regards to the initial position.

Maybe you are just playing devils advocate?
I am not.

I think the club will be worse off without Kane than with him for the foreseeable future, if you disagree then OK just say so.
That's a very fair position that I believe is a likely outcome though I think it may be possible to mitigate if done correctly. But I don't fear short-term pain for a more balanced squad and better middle to longer term prospects. And this was a position I had in anticipation of the 'painful rebuild' where i had hoped all players were up for 'evaluation'.

Have I been unclear in my position? That's a surprising charge. If we can get someone foolish enough to spend 150M on a player then we should sell the player. That should be the club's position on any player in perpetuity. Replacements, scouting, recruitment, etc are structural things that shouldn't affect that position.

I hope that's more clear.

The fact that so many fans here are acting like the world would end if PKane left the team shows that they have little to no confidence that Spurs can improve going forward. Imagine feeling that way about a player that hasn't been a top 50 player in the world for two straight seasons... Absolutely zero ambition.

The fact that so many fans here are acting like the world would end if PKane left the team shows that they have little to no confidence that Spurs can improve going forward. Imagine feeling that way about a player that hasn't been a top 50 player in the world for two straight seasons... Absolutely zero ambition.
Can't spell Eriksen, can't spell Kane.

Back
Top Bottom