Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If money is as tight as the rumours say it is then free transfers are where we will be concentrating and tbh most free transfers are older players towards the end of their careers. If this is all Levy is offering to Jose then the manager has no other choice

Mourinho probably knows he won't remain here for more than 1 or 2 more years so he won't mind if we bring in older players that will take no time to settle in and will deliver immediately like Willian for example

Depends what rumours that you listen to.

IMO my reading of the situation is that whilst money is tighter than it would have been pre covid (when I was expecting a similar to last summer spend of £100m plus sales), DL will recognise we need to spend some money so maybe £50m-£80m range plus sales - the top end if the French experiment of 5,000 gates from start of July and a review to increase gates by end July seems to be bearing fruit as that might suggest PL being able to have part filled stadiums (eg say 20k rather than 62k) as early as September so our match day income may start to come back.

So with that budget whilst we might well take on some free transfers and 'one year left on contract so 50% off', I hope we can be selective...…..Wilian on a mega wage is not cheap and imo well past his best, so we might a couple of find 'older experienced players' who can offer more to appease Mourhino (if required) whilst also get some better prospects in such as Eze (one year left on contract and QPR skint) who shouldn't be mega money yet help to rebuild the squad for the future and Hojbjerg (same reasons as Eze) has PL experience in a role we need to fill asap.

BTW Worth remembering last 12 months transfer activity when lots of rumours before last summer said we would spend no money, I think I was the first to suggest a £100m spend was possible :

Transfers In – Summer 2019 and January 2020 Combined

1. Ndombele - £55m (CM)
2 Lo Celso - £41m (AM/CM)
3. Bergwijn - £27m (AM)
4. Clarke - £10m (AM)
5. Sessegnon - £25m (LB/LW)
6. Gedson - £ 4m (DM) (18 month loan fee only)
7. Tanganga - Free (CB/RB/LB) Academy product
Total £162m

I’m amazed bu the negative vibe towards Mourinho over the last few days.

I mean we’ve played 1 game!
I think because, despite a bit of time to work with players, it was more of the same rubbish. If we play anyone half decent we seem to adopt an attitude of a div 2 side going to the Etihad in the cup. We'll see where we are after the next 8 games but surely we have to see something a bit more positive?

I’m amazed bu the negative vibe towards Mourinho over the last few days.

I mean we’ve played 1 game!

Beating Utd with panache and liquid football is seemingly a given for some....

Funny tho; most predicted a loss before the game; jizzing over their recent form in the process.

Last edited:
Yes!! I've acknowledged that!! That's the point!!

SO when people say it was the right time for Poch to be sacked but then defend Jose for EXACTLY the same fucking record it kinda makes me laugh, no? I mean when you change managers the point of doing that is to turn the ship around, HE HASN'T. His overall record with us is far worse across all comps. AND the football is fucking tragic.

Lots of what you say is true.

Would you also remind us which players were out through injury through the Mourhino time, Lloris, Kane, Son, Bergwijn, Sissoko et al and the approximate dates.

Also worth commenting that Poch hardly brought any good players into the squad over his time (Son and Winks honourable exceptions), hadn't replaced players like Rose (despite his mouth off and loss of form over 2-3 seasons), had hardly brought any youth through into the first team squad and had generally run the main players into the ground with little rotation. And bought the highest priced player Spurs has ever bought who is a bit of an enigma still, not unlike Janssen in that he was hand scouted by Poch, we just hope Ndombele doesn't go the same way. So the squad JM inherited was on its last legs.

Also worth commenting that Poch hardly brought any good players into the squad over his time (Son and Winks honourable exceptions), hadn't replaced players like Rose (despite his mouth off and loss of form over 2-3 seasons),
Are you saying Pocchetino wouldn't have brought better players into the squad had he been given the backing and the funds to do so!!

No offence. But this is delusional stuff mate.

"Mourinho admits that Steven Bergwijn wasn't his first choice option to sign during the January transfer window but has admitted that a great decision was made and that he's been delighted with him"

"Mourinho told me he hopes to have Juan Foyth back for some games this season and that reports from Argentina that he needs knee surgery are premature. He mentioned him as a back-up to Serge Aurier at RB, along with Tanganga, when talking about the one position he has injuries in."

"We have only good news. Lucas back from injury, Dele Alli from punishment. No injuries from the United game. We didn't lose any players and have two extra that make our squad very good, which give me for the first time all six attacking players available for the game."

"Mourinho has just launched an amazingly detailed defence of his record with strikers after Paul Merson said Kane would not score 25-30 goals a season under him. Mourinho listed the goals/games records of Drogba, Ronaldo, Benzema, Milito & Zlatan under him. Mourinho finished by saying: "So dear Paul, I have lots of respect for you. I think Harry Kane has no problem at all to score goals in my teams, especially when he’s fit and fresh and has routines of playing. That’s my message to somebody I have lots of respect for."

I wish he finished by saying Paul your a fat ugly pisshead, if I looked like you I'd be hitting the drink hard too

Are you saying Pocchetino wouldn't have brought better players into the squad had he been given the backing and the funds to do so!!

No offence. But this is delusional stuff mate.

If those those ‘better‘ players consisted of the likes of Berhinho, Morata, Batshuayi, Musacchio which were the big money signings that we missed out on under him then no. The guy was about as good in transfer market as he was as getting a team over the final line.

£80m for Ndombele 'the enforcer'?

Still not fun. I’m perfectly happy that we bought him, I’m just not happy about the treatment he’s getting. He will still come good if given the chance. Fortunately we didn’t spend £80m on him.

Why aren’t you starting a campaign: #zerosprints ?

But I guess it’s not the same when it’s Kane spending a full 90 mins of no running? After all he’s only on £200k+ a week

"Mourinho admits that Steven Bergwijn wasn't his first choice option to sign during the January transfer window but has admitted that a great decision was made and that he's been delighted with him"

"Mourinho told me he hopes to have Juan Foyth back for some games this season and that reports from Argentina that he needs knee surgery are premature. He mentioned him as a back-up to Serge Aurier at RB, along with Tanganga, when talking about the one position he has injuries in."

"We have only good news. Lucas back from injury, Dele Alli from punishment. No injuries from the United game. We didn't lose any players and have two extra that make our squad very good, which give me for the first time all six attacking players available for the game."

"Mourinho has just launched an amazingly detailed defence of his record with strikers after Paul Merson said Kane would not score 25-30 goals a season under him. Mourinho listed the goals/games records of Drogba, Ronaldo, Benzema, Milito & Zlatan under him. Mourinho finished by saying: "So dear Paul, I have lots of respect for you. I think Harry Kane has no problem at all to score goals in my teams, especially when he’s fit and fresh and has routines of playing. That’s my message to somebody I have lots of respect for."

I wish he finished by saying Paul your a fat ugly pisshead, if I looked like you I'd be hitting the drink hard too
That is some quote. Mourinho was literally in the door 5 mins and he was having players signed over his head. Quite damning stuff really.

Back
Top Bottom