Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The way I see it is that this was always going to be temporary anyway. José (as far as I'm aware) has never spent more than three seasons at a club in one stint and I can't see that changing here. Worst case scenario is he's here until 2022-ish, best case scenario he goes sooner than that.

Hopefully in his time here though he can bring in some decent players and a bit of silverware. Mainly though I'd like to see him improve the mentality within the squad because one of the biggest issues right now is we're just not mentally strong enough.

I do worry though that we might end up getting in a few players for him then he leaves and we're stuck with even more deadwood. I want us to strengthen the squad, but I don't want it to be a complete overhaul resulting in players that don't fit into anyway else's style of football. We'll be back to square one when the new manager comes in if we're not sensible with the incomings.

Having said all that though I am Spurs through and through so I'll support him and the players until the bitter end.

Look at Leicester with Rodgers who you said you would consider have considered as a Spurs manager. Wolves only 3 points more with another manager you rate. Utd who were flying before covid only 3 points more

It's been a shockingly poor PL season. Worst I can remember
Yet both teams are ahead of us, Leicester by a long way and Wolves played us off the park. And Utd also playing us off the park at their place and played the more attractive brand of football on Friday with a rookie manager at the wheel!! It's not like Jose inherited a team that finished fourth and got to a CL final, Oh crap, he did!

Why defend him? On what grounds?

The way I see it is that this was always going to be temporary anyway. José (as far as I'm aware) has never spent more than three seasons at a club in one stint and I can't see that changing here. Worst case scenario is he's here until 2022-ish, best case scenario he goes sooner than that.

Hopefully in his time here though he can bring in some decent players and a bit of silverware. Mainly though I'd like to see him improve the mentality within the squad because one of the biggest issues right now is we're just not mentally strong enough.

I do worry though that we might end up getting in a few players for him then he leaves and we're stuck with even more deadwood. I want us to strengthen the squad, but I don't want it to be a complete overhaul resulting in players that don't fit into anyway else's style of football. We'll be back to square one when the new manager comes in if we're not sensible with the incomings.

Having said all that though I am Spurs through and through so I'll support him and the players until the bitter end.

Yes, I agree Mandy - Ive supported Spurs all my life and will do so til I die, including whoever manages us and whoever plays for us, I'd support Spurs if we got relegated 3 times in a row, but.....

There's a degree of commitment & engagement that comes with me spending £3k a year and countless hours to travel to games from 100 miles away, and in my personal case the prerequisites for me to give my time and money are that the club:
  • treat their staff and the community they represent with respect
  • treat me like a fan rather than a customer (with a client number)
  • play attractive and exciting football
After 2 or 3 thrilling years - best in my 45 years of supporting them - culminating in a CL final (something I'd never even dreamed of), in the last year the club have failed all 3 tests.

If we win stuff then that's a fantastic bonus and I'd be absolutely delighted, but it's only a game and that bit is not a pre-requisite. I realise that some here think this is 'a losers mentality' - so be it, I'm the one that does (or doesn't) go every week.

Mourhino would prefer 'experienced' but older players to make an instant impact.....and only good enough for say 3 years at the end of their career.

Levy might give him one or two, but I suspect that Levy will insist that most acquisitions are under 26, and possibly preferably 22ish so as to get them for the long term (Levy's preference) .

I hope Levy will also insist that he bring a few through from the academy - and to be fair, although not renowned for it he brought McTominay through at ManU.

Yet both teams are ahead of us, Leicester by a long way and Wolves played us off the park. And Utd also playing us off the park at their place and played the more attractive brand of football on Friday with a rookie manager at the wheel!! It's not like Jose inherited a team that finished fourth and got to a CL final, Oh crap, he did!

Jose inherited a team that was unbalanced and in free fall.(no away league win in 9 months)
Up until Harry got injured we were well in the race for champions league football.
Name me any club that can continue winning games without a centre forward.
Some of our so called fans are fucking clueless.

Mourhino would prefer 'experienced' but older players to make an instant impact.....and only good enough for say 3 years at the end of their career.

Levy might give him one or two, but I suspect that Levy will insist that most acquisitions are under 26, and possibly preferably 22ish so as to get them for the long term (Levy's preference) .

I hope Levy will also insist that he bring a few through from the academy - and to be fair, although not renowned for it he brought McTominay through at ManU.
If Jose gets us any European football for next season I would applaud him loudly and say he had done a decent job.
He took over after 12 league games and 14 points gained and has been without the premier leagues best centre forward for the last 5 years missing for a large part of the season.
What do some of our fans expect?

"Give him more time".

EbD9WM4WoAIrbhx

3 point between 15th & 5th.

Obviously Arteta is the 4th best manager in the league too. :pocheyes:

He inherited a team in 14th..... Was losing 3-0 to Brighton sexy football? ....Conceding 7 against BM?

spin.jpg

If Jose gets us any European football for next season I would applaud him loudly and say he had done a decent job.
He took over after 12 league games and 14 points gained and has been without the premier leagues best centre forward for the last 5 years missing for a large part of the season.
What do some of our fans expect?

Never said different.

Just that we want to ensure we don't just buy players towards end of career - but as Mourhino's in favour of a DOF, if we get one (and DL prefers them) that shouldn't happen

We were 14th when he took over, the previous manager had allowed the rot to set in by not buying anyone across two windows.
When Jose took over the club was in decline, we are still struggling to move on from this now only an overhaul is going to achieve that.

I’m not happy with the manager, but there is no chance that levy gets rid of him before next season. People can fantasise as much as they like about getting someone else in during the summer but it’s never going to happen before atleast half way through next season. Even if we don’t win any of our remaining games.

So since I support spurs, I will continue to do just that and just hope that his boring philosophy at least gets us back in to Europe and maybe a trophy next season.

I don’t want us to become like those pricks down the road who pray for bad results just to inch their manager’s closer to the sack. They did it with Wenger and they did it with emery.

Jose’s Spurs is still our Spurs whether we like it or not. Let’s get behind him and the team. I think the West Ham game will go a long way to determining how we can expect us to play against the lesser teams.

Too late, that’s 50% of our fan base now.

We were 14th when he took over, the previous manager had allowed the rot to set in by not buying anyone across two windows.
When Jose took over the club was in decline, we are still struggling to move on from this now only an overhaul is going to achieve that.
We were 4 points off 5th! We are STILL 4 points off 5th. If the previous manager was in decline what the fuck does that make the present one?

If you think that a rebuild is required to change the direction of the Club then you need to look long and hard at:
a) Jose's recent record in rebuilding his Clubs, the rebuilding with a near limitless budget at Utd was nothing short of a disaster.
b) Are you seriously holding out for a rebuild given the economy in which we are now supporting in?
c) Jose has said repeatedly since his first press conf he likes and is happy with this squad. The club has repeatedly put out information about the current climate and buying players.
d) There has been a rebuild of sorts, Ndombele, Gedson, Berwjin, Lo Celso, Sessegnon & Clarke in and Rose, Eriksen, Tripps, Wanyama & KWP out.

Mate WAS one of the best managers in the world but that was a decade ago!! The game has clearly moved on, ask yourself why all the top teams in the world don't play passive football. Stop talking about Poch he’s not our manager anymore, he has nothing to do with how we may today or what happens at the club. Jose is our manager and Jose has us playing shite, current win percentage is 40%!!!!!! Making him our worst performing manager in 15yrs, if he fails to get a win against West Ham he will fall below Juande Ramos!!!
Yawn

You're deriding a manager on the basis of a quarter of a season? That's a bit knee jerk for you isn't it mate?
Lays out our form, you'd expect a new manager to be trending the other way at least, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't be on his back if we were playing decent stuff and losing (I've said that from day one) but the football is fucking garbage AND we ain't picking up the points. The only argument for Jose was that his reactive, pragmatic football gets the results, well it's not any more.

He inherited a team in 14th..... Was losing 3-0 to Brighton sexy football? ....Conceding 7 against BM?

spin.jpg
A team 4 points off 5th. Do you want me to pick the individual loses with Jose?...............nah fuck it, there are just far too many, I don't have the time today.

But I take it you think he's done a fantastic job for us?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom