Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch had to go, so who would you have appointed since you are so dead against Mourinho. I said at the time we could have gone for Ancellotti who not only is a winner but his team's play decent attractive football. However Levy chose Jose who I respect for all he has achieved but I understand with that comes a more pragmatic style of football which is not comfortable to watch. Plus now he will have no money to spend to significantly improve the team which is a further problem because he is a manager that likes to spend.

So who should we have appointed to replace Poch?
I detailed a list of approx 10 other managers we could have gone for in a previous post a few months back. But to narrow that down to a small handful:
1) Nagglemann
2) Nuno
3) Tuchel
4) Rodgers (if he keeps his gob shut)

Bit more of a gamble list
1) Jardim
2) Marco Rose
3) Erik ten Hag

For me at least, all I want to see is an attacking brand of football, the result doesn't matter (this season), I said this in my very first post when he arrived. My confidence is built on how we approach games and if we approach them with ambition and attempt to play expressive, attacking football, this should be what this team should be built on, it should be part of it's DNA, it's foundations from what we build, use this season to mould a team into something akin to how we played only a couple of years ago. Jose promised this is what he was going to do, there is zero evidence of this.
For the first couple of seasons pochs football was great, exciting and a welcome sight after AVBs brand of possession based football.
But after teams worked us out even the lesser ones, we struggled to create and break teams down when they sat deep.
The possession based football under poch got boring and predictable with around 2,000 passes before we got anywhere near their box.
We need to give Jose time and players that he actually wants to suit his system, only then after some time can we really judge if he is a dinosaur, or the real thing who develops a pattern of play which puts us back amongst the big boys.

I will not accept any manager of Tottenham who has us play so passively against comparable or lesser teams to us.

We will never see those emphatic wins under Jose you mean. There are many progressive coaches we can hire that will enable an attacking brand to be played at WHL though.

That Barca game gets referenced a lot, 1) People never remember that Barca were forced to travel to Italy by coach Inter Milan v Barcelona: travel chaos gives Italian side 'unfair advantage' 2) It was TEN years ago!! 3) Milan's squad cost more to assemble than Barca's!!!
Agreed. Spot onhighlighting the 10 years since Milan beat Barcelona. Was Bill Nic 1973 the same as the early 60' s version or 1990 Brian Clough like the late 70's one, or 2017 Wenger the same as the early 2000s? All 3 still managed to pick up the odd trophy but it was usually a league cup and the big prizes were behind them. The game moves on and managers get left behind. I havent witnessed anything from Mourinho either at United or with us that this isnt the case with him. I truly hope he proves me wrong but just dont see it.

For the first couple of seasons pochs football was great, exciting and a welcome sight after AVBs brand of possession based football.
But after teams worked us out even the lesser ones, we struggled to create and break teams down when they sat deep.
The possession based football under poch got boring and predictable with around 2,000 passes before we got anywhere near their box.
We need to give Jose time and players that he actually wants to suit his system, only then after some time can we really judge if he is a dinosaur, or the real thing who develops a pattern of play which puts us back amongst the big boys.

Very good points about Poch

Did he promise a " new style of football"? I don't remember that and why would a man who has won all he has with a certain style of football suddenly want to change?

Levy has ballsed up again. He should have gone for a manager who preaches a more progressive expansive style of football.
"new man"
spent time out of the game learning at Lille
"Learned from his past mistakes at Man U and Chelsea"

All this was said by him in his first and subsequent early press confs.

I have rarely been bored watching us under Poch. But he's NOT our manager any more Jose is.

Jose football is boring, passive and shit. It was this way before he arrived and it is just so now that he is here. It's fucking tragic, turgid crap.

I have rarely been bored watching us under Poch. But he's NOT our manager any more Jose is.

Jose football is boring, passive and shit. It was this way before he arrived and it is just so now that he is here. It's fucking tragic, turgid crap.
That has brought about over twenty trophies to date, compare that to poch who won nothing, if we was to win anything I can't see how many would complain.

Kane & Son won't wait for a year (and I can't blame them) Levy got in Jose to win things he can't do that without some one to kill the game in midfield
we need a true DM who see danger and can stop it, winks is a good player but he is not powerfully enough and he doesn't sense where the danger is (that why he runs about a lot) if you sense the danger you are already covering that area
Spot on.

Very high salary
Premier League
Training ground
Stadium
Playing squad
London
Champions League club

95% of the managers in the world would love to be our manager.
But they ain't got no chance of winning anything brother.
If they want a good payout , then there riding the right train or last legs like Mourinho.
On the other hand we can also ruin any chance of a future prestigious career in most cases.

Mourinho was a very, very bad knee jerk pick. Levy needed an instant fix after sacking Poch and backed a loser. I hate listening to his whining voice making fucking excuses all day long and just do not understand his tactics. He gets involved in personal issues with players publicly (Ndombele for example) and enjoys bolstering up his 'personality' more than making the team a success. That initial humble approach when he first took over was just plain bollocks.
I believe that when fans look back on his time at this club he will be known forever as the cunt who eventually sold Kane and Son. Yes he was once an innovative manager but no more, he's been well and truly sussed. Next season will not be pretty.

That has brought about over twenty trophies to date, compare that to poch who won nothing, if we was to win anything I can't see how many would complain.
Mate WAS one of the best managers in the world but that was a decade ago!! The game has clearly moved on, ask yourself why all the top teams in the world don't play passive football. Stop talking about Poch he’s not our manager anymore, he has nothing to do with how we may today or what happens at the club. Jose is our manager and Jose has us playing shite, current win percentage is 40%!!!!!! Making him our worst performing manager in 15yrs, if he fails to get a win against West Ham he will fall below Juande Ramos!!!

Mate WAS one of the best managers in the world but that was a decade ago!! The game has clearly moved on, ask yourself why all the top teams in the world don't play passive football. Stop talking about Poch he’s not our manager anymore, he has nothing to do with how we may today or what happens at the club. Jose is our manager and Jose has us playing shite, current win percentage is 40%!!!!!! Making him our worst performing manager in 15yrs, if he fails to get a win against West Ham he will fall below Juande Ramos!!!
Ok why don't we just wait until next season to start judging him, by around Christmas we should see if we are in contention for CL spots I think he needs a full season to see if he is past it or whether he is making a difference.

Kane & Son won't wait for a year (and I can't blame them) Levy got in Jose to win things he can't do that without some one to kill the game in midfield
we need a true DM who see danger and can stop it, winks is a good player but he is not powerfully enough and he doesn't sense where the danger is (that why he runs about a lot) if you sense the danger you are already covering that area
If Kane & Son play like the other night they will not get a bigger club in for them. If they want to win things they need to perform as they are our best players. They may not have played for a while but no one has and I fail to see the difference.

All I can say is, Mourinho is the main reason I'm not renewing my season ticket next year.
Levy presumably thought sacking Poch and hiring Mourinho was a masterstroke, as did many people on this forum; this supporter thinks it was a moral disgrace and performance-disaster.
But then, I'm apparently in the minority that doesn't think 'winning silverware' in the cash-soaked modern game is the be-all and end-all.

Ok why don't we just wait until next season to start judging him, by around Christmas we should see if we are in contention for CL spots I think he needs a full season to see if he is past it or whether he is making a difference.
I not even judging the results, just the performances, they have been woeful.

He’s got all his key players back, all the players he wanted to deliver the fans attacking football with and he still chooses to play a passive game and against a side on par with our own.

He’s done fuck all to warrant any special treatment. Were you upset when we sack Ramos? Did you think we should have stuck with him?

All I can say is, Mourinho is the main reason I'm not renewing my season ticket next year.
Levy presumably thought sacking Poch and hiring Mourinho was a masterstroke, as did many people on this forum; this supporter thinks it was a moral disgrace and performance-disaster.
But then, I'm apparently in the minority that doesn't think 'winning silverware' in the cash-soaked modern game is the be-all and end-all.

Levy gambled it was that Poch had lost his magic, the squad was mainly fine and if he got a steady hand all would be well. Probably hasn’t worked but I used to go to games during the AVB period and if you can deal with that you can deal with anything. For me I will just ride it out, if he turns it around then great if not I would like to get an attacking manager.

I not even judging the results, just the performances, they have been woeful.

He’s got all his key players back, all the players he wanted to deliver the fans attacking football with and he still chooses to play a passive game and against a side on par with our own.

He’s done fuck all to warrant any special treatment. Were you upset when we sack Ramos? Did you think we should have stuck with him?
With Ramos the team gave up after they won the CC the form continued into the start of the following season.
Should he have been given more time possibly but at the same time I think it was right that he went.
How long are you proposing that we give Jose, do we give him next season or do we cut ties early.

With Ramos the team gave up after they won the CC the form continued into the start of the following season.
Should he have been given more time possibly but at the same time I think it was right that he went.
How long are you proposing that we give Jose, do we give him next season or do we cut ties early.
Cut now. Get a progressive coach in NOW, use this season constructively to get us playing again. Only a short break is expected until next season starts, only delaying the inevitable as absolutely zero evidence to suggest we have a platform to build anything off that has us playing any different to Palace. In fact Palace are better at being a Jose side that Jose has got us playing. Palace are an excellent Jose side, meaning that's the height of our ambition playing this brand of football.

If results and performances had carried on as they were i'd have binned him at the end of the season. Covid changes that a bit as we're now looking at a 3 to 4 week break only. That isnt long to sack a manager, appoint a new one and get some of their transfer targets. Having said that if things carry on in the same vain do we have much to lose? We're much more likely to get a top target in the close season than half way through the next one. Problem is i dont see how we improve and we're yet to have the inevitable falling out over transfers. So it boils down to if you think results and performances will get better then give him next season, if you dont then bite the bullet. For me we have to see a huge improvement over the next 8 games.

Back
Top Bottom