Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well - you do take issue when criticism is leveled at Levy.

Only when it's guff.

I've willingly pointed out 3 things I think he warrants criticism for in this very discussion.

It's unfair criticism of the any aspect of the club I'm averse to; it's not exclusive to Levy.

Only when it's guff.

I've willingly pointed out 3 things I think he warrants criticism for in this very discussion.

It's unfair criticism of the any aspect of the club I'm averse to; it's not exclusive to Levy.
My main gripe is our shamblic transfer policy - that’s not guff. Can’t just blame that on poor scouting and Poch’s choices. Buck stop with him

My main gripe is our shamblic transfer policy - that’s not guff. Can’t just blame that on poor scouting and Poch’s choices. Buck stop with him

Well that's avenue for reasonable debate..... Lots of the other stuff driven by your "hate", not so much.

He is good attacking but defensively he lacks a brain at times. Just a small thing but I thought spitting was a yellow card offence as he was the only one I saw spitting. If I am right that is brainless. He was dispossessed a couple of times near the end including the build up to the penalty and I think he was tiring and should have been replaced by Toby. Jan could have come on the other side for Davies and been the attacking FB.

CvH091M.png

o980TAa.png

DnejY67.png

He makes a lot of tackles when he's made the 3rd most appearances in the squad? Maybe he's trying to say he's one of the best full backs in the league despite us all having the gift of sight?
TWUYyya.png

EMZwCvE.png

5Vj2uFV.png

9VE7iDZ.png

• He makes significantly more tackles than anyone else on Spurs.
  • He is statistically one of the top fullbacks in the league.
  • He is statistically one of Spurs' best players.
  • I'd argue that Kane is a top 5 Premier League forward, Son is a top 5 Premier League winger/wide forward and Serge is a top 5 Premier League RB.
  • No other players in our squad are top 5 positionally in the Premier League.

Last edited:
At last, a reasoned assessment of Serge. Maybe we should convert him into a winger?

not quite... but a wingback in a back 5 with Sess on the left gives us two very pacey options out wide who can both cross a ball. Probably our two best crossers in the team actually even though Sess rarely gets a look in.

The bad part of this would be the absolute 100% need to raise the financial assets required to get a world class DM to sit and move side to side to drop in and deny space, plus a left sided CB (but we know we need one of those anyway with Vert leaving, and I cant see Davies being pushed there like he does for Wales)

Contrary to general opinion, I actually think the strongest side of Auriers game is his defence. He's exceptional in the air, he's very difficult to get past one on one and he is actually pretty decent at snuffing out danger in a last ditch manner.

The problems arise when he goes forward. His crossing is poor to average, but more to the point, he appears to have lost an unbelievable amount of pace since his PSG days, so he can't beat an opposing full back to save his life and he hasn't got the pace to get back into position after a foray forward.

I really do think that if we played in a traditional Mourinho 4231, with a traditional right winger (Lucas/Bergwijn) where there wasn't so much responsibility on Aurier as an attacking outlet, he would look much more comfortable.

You mean he was a good player until we signed him?

he put in some very good performances at his previous clubs and he has done with us as well, he is just very inconsistent and has not removed that element that from his game.

in the way Walker used to be terrible one game and good the next but rapidly improved consistency under Poch, Aurier has yet to do that and unfortunately may not.

I don’t have issue with Aurier’s skills, speed or power, it’s his brain farts. However he has not been our worst player this season.

he put in some very good performances at his previous clubs and he has done with us as well, he is just very inconsistent and has not removed that element that from his game.

in the way Walker used to be terrible one game and good the next but rapidly improved consistency under Poch, Aurier has yet to do that and unfortunately may not.

I don’t have issue with Aurier’s skills, speed or power, it’s his brain farts. However he has not been our worst player this season.

The guy's got chronic brain flatulence and I'm not sure there's a cure.

I always worry when I see his name on the team sheet. I just think it's going to be a matter of time before he fucks up again.

It wouldn't surprise me if he causes the rest of the defence to worry as well.

TWUYyya.png

EMZwCvE.png

5Vj2uFV.png

9VE7iDZ.png

• He makes significantly more tackles than anyone else on Spurs.
  • He is statistically one of the top fullbacks in the league.
  • He is statistically one of Spurs' best players.
  • I'd argue that Kane is a top 5 Premier League forward, Son is a top 5 Premier League winger/wide forward and Serge is a top 5 Premier League RB.
  • No other players in our squad are top 5 positionally in the Premier League.
If Liverpool or any of the other top 4 clubs want to make a bid for this fantastic player, I'm sure we would bite their hand off.

Back
Top Bottom