Leicester (H) 19/07 4PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Given our situation, giving up on possession is a potential masterstroke. If you have a clinically striker (we do), can break at speed (with Moura and Son, we can), and most importantly have a rock solid defence and goalkeeper, then perhaps it is exactly how we need to play for the time being.
I think the tactic of having at most 40 percent possession is here to stay under Mourinho. Possession based football is heavily attritional; it's like letting a boxer wear himself out with punches, then doing a Tyson peekaboo and putting him to the floor.
Leicester won the league doing it. Possession for the sake of it is pointless

His sideways and back passes do end up having a high accuracy at the end of the game, no denying that and it would be hard for them not to.

The issue is that he doesn't ever attempt the more difficult, longer passes that open a defense up so while his passing accuracy might be good it doesn't matter because they aren't the types of passes we need to create offense or open teams up.

He doesn't get any hate, his mediocre, sub-par play gets called out for what it is, that isn't hate that is just pointing out the obvious.

He shouldn’t be attempting difficult, longer passes in his own final third. His job is to get the ball from the CBs and GK to safety upfield. He is not asked to play the role of a playmaker that can and should be taking those risks. I am not sure that we should be penalizing him for not doing things that he isn’t asked to do.

And two of the finishes were straight from the top shelf. Relying on brilliance like that is not sustainable.

So you expect us to win 3-0 without any brilliance? You need world class players to be a world class team. World class tactics with mediocre players will not get you these types of results.

109989089_2354865784819068_3500546549954011686_n.jpg

He shouldn’t be attempting difficult, longer passes in his own final third. His job is to get the ball from the CBs and GK to safety upfield. He is not asked to play the role of a playmaker that can and should be taking those risks. I am not sure that we should be penalizing him for not doing things that he isn’t asked to do.

What???

Of course he should. That is the problem our team has is that it takes so long to get the ball moving forward. Every MF on the team should be moving the ball up the field and creating space for their teammates with passes.

We shouldn't have MFers that need to be sheltered from making any difficult pass by having another player coming back to them and making those passes for them.

And when I say difficult I am not talking about high risk, likely to be intercepted passes I mean difficult in the sense that 100% of other football players and most fans could not make them. Winks so rarely makes any passes that are not so average and do nothing for the team.

Look at City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool there is not a single player on any of those teams that play regularly in the midfield and are so limited passingwise as Winks is. Even there defensive mids are better passers.

If you are telling me that we need to play with a player that is inept in terms of moving the ball up the field then we are shot when it comes to competing for anything. We can't play 10 against 11 and be so shorthanded like that.

Dembele was rarely played as our deepest lying midfielder though.... He kept possession and broke lines with his dribbling.... Besides he too (ironically) spent half his Spurs career being criticised for not making progressive passes or scoring goals.
Hahahaa

Did you just compare Dembele to Winks?

Did you REALLY?

Possession doesn’t win football matches, goals do, many a games I used to watch under poch where we would have 70% possession and just pass it sideways and fail to break down a good solid defence, would be interesting to see how we set up against a team like Burnley though?

One could argue they were taken out of their comfort zone... Brenton had nothing to reply with.

Meanwhile we've always had a rapid counter-attack in our locker even at our most pressing and proactive under Poch.

It was in the locker but was hardly ever rarely used. The obsession with possession annoyed the heck out of me.

We finally have a reason to have Serge sit out and he still gets into the line-up.

i know many think you can't criticize him because he brother died but for any other team the guy would be taking time off and dealing with it but for us he insists on playing and we are stuck with him out there sucking ass each game.

And SIssoko and Winks again? Amazon should do a new documentary on how the fuck Sissoko, Aurier and Winks are able to repeatedly start for this team despite doing nothing but sucking game after game.
:avbshit:

Possession doesn’t win football matches, goals do, many a games I used to watch under poch where we would have 70% possession and just pass it sideways and fail to break down a good solid defence, would be interesting to see how we set up against a team like Burnley though?
Oh shut it, surely you’d rather we kept the ball all game, passed it pointlessly around the back, clocked up the % for Sqwaka and lost 3-0?

Who wouldn’t want to be Leicester today?

It was always under lesser teams where we struggled to break them down because they would just set up camp deep in their own half and let us have the ball. So against teams like Burnley I don't see the problem of them having more of the ball and letting them progress into our half. We simply win it back deep and smash them on the counter:sonlol:

We finally have a reason to have Serge sit out and he still gets into the line-up.

i know many think you can't criticize him because he brother died but for any other team the guy would be taking time off and dealing with it but for us he insists on playing and we are stuck with him out there sucking ass each game.

And SIssoko and Winks again? Amazon should do a new documentary on how the fuck Sissoko, Aurier and Winks are able to repeatedly start for this team despite doing nothing but sucking game after game.

Genuinely feel like punching you in the face for this comment. Delete your account in shame.

Maybe having football to concentrate on is helping him at the moment. And we're not exactly inundated with right wing backs are we, you clown.

How do you know that for any other team he would be taking time off? This is clearly his way of dealing with it, no matter what club he would've been at.

He might not be a very good footballer but the only thing sucking ass at the moment is you.

Don't ever post on this forum again or I'll make you bloody well regret it. Now fuck off.

Back
Top Bottom