Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will be interesting to see how Mourinho reacts if Levy fails to secure early inroads in his identified targets.

This is not Pochettino and this is a manager in his last club managerial effort.

He has one chance to make his legacy one that nobody can question.

Just out of interest, would you have swapped last season (CL final and top 4) for a league cup win and say, 9th place, and an early CL exit?

Not a loaded question, just interested to see other perspectives. For me, I wouldn’t.

I guess flipping it to the national side, would you rather win “nations cup” or get to a World Cup final? That feels a fair analogy.
Not even close. CL final trumps a League Cup win, surely.

How many teams field a weaker side for Champions League games? They do for League Cup.

would hardly class you as a supporter. You have not had a single positive thing to say about Mourinho since his arrival, so don’t get all high and mighty about you supporting that club.
Again proving my point, your concern is about me.

What is there positive about Jose? Was it finishing 6th (our joint lowest position in 11yrs)? Getting knocked out FA Cup by relegated Norwich? Getting dumped out of the CL by a drinks manufacturer? Or the scintillating football we play under him?

The ONLY comparison made was to give examples of how he found solutions in dealing with injuries.
And that’s the only comparison I responded to
What’s your problem here?
I’m not sure why you would pretend you wasn’t having a pop at Jose and implying Poch would have done better. You was.

You have taken massive offense to the fact I pulled you up on it.

Of course not having injuries is better than having injuries. What kind of silly question is that?

I distinctly remember the biggest game in the clubs history being handled with an utterly amateurish team selection with regards to our injury situation. We played an injured player, and dropped an in form one, so hows that for cunning tactical juggling?

Poch benefitted from having Llorente and Son when Kane was out.
I don’t remember him ever being without all three though.

I remember having 7 hammered past us without injuries though and Sanchez playing RB a few times.

Just out of interest, would you have swapped last season (CL final and top 4) for a league cup win and say, 9th place, and an early CL exit?

Not a loaded question, just interested to see other perspectives. For me, I wouldn’t.

I guess flipping it to the national side, would you rather win “nations cup” or get to a World Cup final? That feels a fair analogy.

That’s not really a fair comparison is it mate. What you need to ask me is would I swap last seasons top 4 placing and CL run, for another top 4 place, early CL exit, but a league cup. Then 100% id take the 2nd option. I would 100% take winning a cup over losing one, regardless of the prestigious nature of the trophy. I feel some supporters on here would be happy getting to a CL final and losing it over winning say the fA cup, Just so they can say “ well we got to a CL final “. Means jack shit to nobody unless you win it. So to answer your question, id take winning a lower trophy over losing the champions league final any day of the week. Winning trophies is success. Losing champions league finals isn’t.

Nobody in the football world will even remember we were a finalist in a year or two. They will remember that Liverpool won it.

I'd rather put something....anything in our trophy cabinet.

It's embarrassing for a club of our stature and resources to be without a trophy for so long.

We are the Newcastle of the south.

That's why I welcome Mourinho and his brand of football as I can see him bringing us at least one trophy.

Not even close. CL final trumps a League Cup win, surely.

How many teams field a weaker side for Champions League games? They do for League Cup.

If you win it yes. But any supporter that would choose losing a CL final, just to say we got into a final over winning a trophy is beyond a joke. We achieve nothing until we win something, so getting to a cl final and losing will soon long be forgotten about and will never be in the history books.

Nobody in the football world will even remember we were a finalist in a year or two. They will remember that Liverpool won it.

I'd rather put something....anything in our trophy cabinet.

It's embarrassing for a club of our stature and resources to be without a trophy for so long.

We are the Newcastle of the south.

That's why I welcome Mourinho and his brand of football as I can see him bringing us at least one trophy.

exactly mate. Spurs supporters seem to wear this “we got to a final “ badge of honour and it’s ridiculous. We took the piss out of Woolwich for years and we are doing exactly the same thing.The run to the final was great, I’m not denying that, but in the end we achieved nothing. If Mourinho can come in and bag us a Fa cup or even Europa, I would 100% have that over losing a CL final every season.

If you win it yes. But any supporter that would choose losing a CL final, just to say we got into a final over winning a trophy is beyond a joke. We achieve nothing until we win something, so getting to a cl final and losing will soon long be forgotten about and will never be in the history books.
The discussion was specifically about the League Cup. Personally, I would rank getting to a CL semi final over winning the League Cup.

FA Cup is a different story

exactly mate. Spurs supporters seem to wear this “we got to a final “ badge of honour and it’s ridiculous. We took the piss out of Woolwich for years and we are doing exactly the same thing.The run to the final was great, I’m not denying that, but in the end we achieved nothing. If Mourinho can come in and bag us a Fa cup or even Europa, I would 100% have that over losing a CL final every season.

Yep.

We even sound like the Geordies don't we?

You go out drinking with some barcodes and they will regale you of the time they almost won the league under King Kevin Keegan. The glory glory years.

We are just like them, we need a fucking trophy we, get a winning mentality back into the club.

I don't care if it sounds entitled but this is Tottenham Hotspur, one of the richest clubs on the planet with a long legacy of glory.

Not Wigan Athletic - who ironically have even won a trophy more recently than us.

The discussion was specifically about the League Cup. Personally, I would rank getting to a CL semi final over winning the League Cup.

FA Cup is a different story

Ok. So if someone knew the outcome and said to you that we will get to the CL semi final, but we will lose it but win nothing that season or we will NOT get to the CL semi final, so would be an early exit, but win the league cup. You honestly telling me you would pick the 1st option? Sorry mate, but what a joke. Spurs fans picking semi finals over winning trophies, incredible.

If someone said to you. Right, you have 2 options.

Option 1 - Your Spurs team are going to get to the champions league final for 10 years running, witnessing really exciting run ups to the final ( like last year ) but you will lose all of them and won’t win a single trophy

or

option 2 - you will be out of the champions early for 10 years running, so won’t make any CL finals, but you will win 10 league cups or say 10 Fa cups. 1 trophy a season basically.

Give me option 2 any day of the week. Winning trophies is what it’s about. Not getting to finals and bottling them. Any spurs fan that picks option 1, just so they can say “we got to a CL final” are raving mad.

Last edited:
Ok. So if someone knew the outcome and said to you that we will get to the CL semi final, but we will lose it but win nothing that season or we will NOT get to the CL semi final, so would be an early exit, but win the league cup. You honestly telling me you would pick the 1st option? Sorry mate, but what a joke. Spurs fans picking semi finals over winning trophies, incredible.
I guess what I'm saying is that I consider the League Cup these days to be a Mickey Mouse trophy.

If someone said to you. Right, you have 2 options.

Option 1 - Your Spurs team are going to get to the champions league final for 10 years running, witnessing really exciting run ups to the final ( like last year ) but you will lose all of them and won’t win a single trophy

or

option 2 - you will be out of the champions early for 10 years running, so won’t make any CL finals, but you will win 5league cups and 5 Fa cups. 1 trophy a season.

Give me option 2 any day of the week. Winning trophies is what it’s about. Not getting to finals and bottling them. Any spurs fan that picks option 1, just so they can say “we got to a CL final” are raving mad.
Of course, your scenario 2 is much better. That's quite a long way from the previous discussion.

Back
Top Bottom