Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely ridiculous money.

And here was me thinking that COVID would change the transfer landscape and restore a sense of reality to football.

He isn't even that good in the first place
20 goals and 20 assists last season (and he just turned 20), he is one of those rare players worth a very high fee, it gets problematic and laughable when you pay £80m for a player like Maguire.

What worries me what type of players Maureen has identified. They’ll probably be in keeping with his short termism view and be cloggers with no resale value. What state will our squad be left after his blown a gasgit or two? Our policy over the years has generally to buy young players with good resale value. Not sure if Levys view on players will match maureens. I just hope he doesn’t by turf and leave us bankrupt but seeing how views sissoko as his go to CM then it’s worrying. I want to see young technical players with some pace. Certainly not Troy. I wonder who will have the final say on that one if we are serious. I’d take Wilson all day long over Troy. We are already morphing into a Bolton/Wimbledon style team and he would cap it off!

What worries me what type of players Maureen has identified. They’ll probably be in keeping with his short termism view and be cloggers with no resale value. What state will our squad be left after his blown a gasgit or two? Our policy over the years has generally to buy young players with good resale value. Not sure if Levys view on players will match maureens. I just hope he doesn’t by turf and leave us bankrupt but seeing how views sissoko as his go to CM then it’s worrying. I want to see young technical players with some pace. Certainly not Troy. I wonder who will have the final say on that one if we are serious. I’d take Wilson all day long over Troy. We are already morphing into a Bolton/Wimbledon style team and he would cap it off!
Worry about it if we sign Deeney. At the moment we’ve only signed one player under Jose, a 23-year-old Bergwijn. At the moment, all the rest is a bunch of bullshit rumours.

Sancho to United for £90 million? I thought Covid was going to mean all clubs struggle financially?
Their commercial revenue is £140m more than Tottenham's at the moment. Manchester United and City/Chelsea (owners) were always the least likely to be affected. I am interested to see what Liverpool/Woolwich do because they don't have the revenue stream or owners to compete with the other three without matchday revenues.

That being said, even if you assume Spurs 2020/21 revenue is £400m (making Europa playoffs, half anticipated match day revenues), the club could likely afford a net spend in the region of £75m, and even that may be low. If outgoings are in the £50m range, the club could quite reasonably spend £120-130m without significant financial risk. That also assumes there is zero cash on hand, which is unlikely even with the pandemic since the stoppage was only for 3 months.

Levy's inherent pessimism of the clubs' future success will continue to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. You could at least understand it previously, given the significant investment required the past decade, but with the club's debt extraordinarily manageable, there's no reason why the club should not be competing more forcefully in the transfer market.

He did spend £160m over the last two windows, but that was making up for lost time. Likely there needs to be at least one more year of similar levels of spending, even if that is spread out over this window, next winter, and summer 2021, in order to get the club on solid Champions League footing.

20 goals and 20 assists last season (and he just turned 20), he is one of those rare players worth a very high fee, it gets problematic and laughable when you pay £80m for a player like Maguire.
£80m for Maguire makes £90m for Sancho seem reasonable. The issue is that Ferran Torres went for less than £40m.

Then again, given both the clubs history of signings, its not surprising which of the two went for Sancho and Torres, respectively.

£80m for Maguire makes £90m for Sancho seem reasonable. The issue is that Ferran Torres went for less than £40m.

Then again, given both the clubs history of signings, its not surprising which of the two went for Sancho and Torres, respectively.
Sancho is currently a much more commercially valuable player than Torres. He’s cool, he’ll sell shirts, sponsors will lap him up.

What games are these then?

I see October friendlies:

...But nothing before that besides:

Monday 7th September

• Uzbekistan V Iran

Saturday 5 September Iceland v England and Tuesday 8 September v Denmark

I would hope that someone has had a word in their ear to cancel them - just a distraction to a season already compromised by the need to end in May to accomodate the postponed (and newly enlarged) Euros 2020.

Last edited:
Skriniar is top level and a reasonable Vertonghen replacement..

if Inter are willing to sell we should be in, we need a WC Centre back and this guy certainly comes close to that.

Saturday 5 September Iceland v England and Tuesday 8 September v Denmark

I would hope that someone has had a word in their ear to cancel them - just a distraction to a season already compromised by the need to end in May to accommodate the postponed (and newly enlarged) Euros 2020.

Absolutely ridiculous!

Total no brainer for me as well, but as was said he’s more a Poch era link than a Jose signing, which is a pity because I think West Spam are circling and the lad apparently would like to stay in London. But with the Amos situation and a potential deal to be done, who knows.
I actually think he’ll end up at Palace. They’re preparing for Zaha’s exit and have already had a £12m bid rejected if you believe the reports.

Back
Top Bottom