Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder if you guys know that is not 11 superstars on a team that makes it a team you need your role players in your first eleven that does a job well thats PEH he plays DM quite well like scott parker even, you dont need him to be scoring 11 goals and 5 assists a season you just need him to set the platform so the locelso and tanguy of this world can do their thing PEH is a great signing no fuss no frills just effective and premier league proven..

Totally agree, the issue is that we don't have 10 superstars plus him, we don't have 5 superstars plus him. We already have enough of the "do your role" players. We need more players that can elevate those around them, help create offensive chances, bring some elite aspect to the pitch would be nice as well.

Also, if all we are getting is an effective player that can allow Lo Celso and Tanguy (although who knows what he brings) to do there thing why not get someone who is more effective or better suited to that role than PEH.

Even supposing that's true (it's not), doesn't that stand for the proposition that it's a punt on a talented unknown that might not offer anything?

I mean shit, Gabriel couldn't get in the squad as a 21 year old on a Lille team where Nicolas Pepe was setting the world on fire. That says it all.

I am not saying here comes Woolwich to the top 4 and future CL winners, I am just saying this is a potential smart signing that has gone against the more stupid signings they have made and links that have been made to them, many of which have been tied to a specific agent (according to twitter so could be wrong).

Gabriel makes more sense to add to their team than David Luiz, Coutinho, Willian or even Mari.

Utd clearing the salary, ready to overpay Sancho...he’s good and all- but the reported fees and salary? Crazy.

Agree. From one bad deal to another one. Do you think they bought out Alexis? Why on earth would Alexis agree to forego £500,000 per week to something probably closer to £200,000 per week (if that)? Maybe an extension so that the total money is better in the new deal?

Totally agree, the issue is that we don't have 10 superstars plus him, we don't have 5 superstars plus him. We already have enough of the "do your role" players. We need more players that can elevate those around them, help create offensive chances, bring some elite aspect to the pitch would be nice as well.

Also, if all we are getting is an effective player that can allow Lo Celso and Tanguy (although who knows what he brings) to do there thing why not get someone who is more effective or better suited to that role than PEH.

I think people are missing some distinctions here.

There's an unflashy "do your role" player who lacks the class to play at this level (Benjamin Stambouli)

There's an unflashy "do your role" player who can be a steady presence in the XI that provides a platform for others to perform (Harry Winks)

Then there's an unflashy "do your role" player who dominates games and drives team success (healthy Victor Wanyama)

I'd put the odds that PEH hits those three levels at something like 20/60/20.

Gabriel makes more sense to add to their team than David Luiz, Coutinho, Willian or even Mari.

Depends on how much they are willing to spend. Gabriel does not solve their backline problem. Nor does Mari, who cost nothing. And yeah, Luiz was one of the stupidest transfers of recent years.

Willian is a really good player, but would be a short-term solution on big wages. Again, what's the budget?

I keep hearing Coutinho might come shockingly cheap, so maybe that's a smarter move than it looks, but I tend to agree that he's not what Woolwich needs as a sort of supplementary flair player who's not that young anymore with a lot of miles on the odometer. But obviously he's outstanding when on form, so there's a chance of hitting it big.

This is starting to belong in another thread, but what Woolwich should do is sell Aubameyang. If they have any hope to succeed with confiscatory ownership, they can't spend absurd wages on a 31 year old perennial pretender.

Agree. From one bad deal to another one. Do you think they bought out Alexis? Why on earth would Alexis agree to forego £500,000 per week to something probably closer to £200,000 per week (if that)? Maybe an extension so that the total money is better in the new deal?
No idea: maybe a payout - have Milan offered a longer contract? Maybe he genuinely wants to play football and realises that he has more money than he’ll ever need? It would do the world of football a load of good if all the overpaid footballers went full-on-Bale and just sat out their crazy contracts. Might stop stupid clubs overpaying and skewing the transfer market?

Long story short: I imagine the ‘mutual agreement’ =making up the salary for the remainder of his Utd contract (a bit like Poch’s gardening pay?)

I wonder if you guys know that is not 11 superstars on a team that makes it a team you need your role players in your first eleven that does a job well thats PEH he plays DM quite well like scott parker even, you dont need him to be scoring 11 goals and 5 assists a season you just need him to set the platform so the locelso and tanguy of this world can do their thing PEH is a great signing no fuss no frills just effective and premier league proven..
Have you watched him play by any chance ?

I only used the term "Pro-Levy" because I couldn't think of any other way of putting it. I agree it's a rubbish description.

But yeah, the announcement was celebrated at the time by all but the "sceptics" as it were, hence me jumping in
Leave the Yanks out of this BM.

Anyone seen Benrahma play on multiple occasions? Is he actually any good?

Watched him in the playoff final and he looked like a headless chicken with zero end product but I'm well aware that's the only time i've ever seen him play
Looks like another "great in the championship, shit in the PL" kind of winger. Many players shine in the lower divisions and struggle in the PL. Not sure his abilities translate against the top level opposition we are facing every week.

Watched him in the playoff final and he looked like a headless chicken with zero end product but I'm well aware that's the only time i've ever seen him play

Mostly whenever Brentford have been on TV - and he's been head and shoulders the best player on the pitch mostly.

Won't play too much into the whole play off final thing. Grealish was wank in last seasons play off final, yet half on here cry every transfer window that we failed to get that one over the line.

Very Hazard-like in the way he moves, though obviously not as good. Great vision and can score goals. For the right fee (bare in mind he has 2 years left on his contract), he'd be a great Lamela replacement.

Not really comfortable with signing wingers though when we need the defence strengthening and a DM but if we're working on a sell first to buy, then Lamela being sold and replaced by Benrahma is smart, as long as we get the other targets and more important positions in.

I've seen fucking Zaha cause problems for Premier League defenders and be touted as a £60,000,000 player - so I don't think Benrahma would have a problem causing problems for Premier League defenders.

Last edited:

I watched the final and thought you could clearly see that there were things he could do with the ball that nobody else on that pitch could do.

It wasn't his best game but in a way showed what kind of player he is right now.

I think like many players in his position, Grealish included, the biggest question that I have is how well he fits in when he isn't heads and shoulders more talented than those around him especially on his own team. It's great to float around the pitch and have the ball all the time when you are the only one that has the talent to do that on Brentford, does it still work when you move up to a team with top 4 ambitions, top 6 talent. I think at the very least as a sub (to start with) that will more often than not be used against Europa League teams and to come on when we are down a goal or up against a parked bus that it will work fine. I think that with his talent a manager can work him into being more used to playing with players that are at his skill level and can play off of the chances he creates.

For the positives his play with the ball is excellent. Even in the final where he supposedly played like a chicken with his head cut off you saw that he didn't just kick the ball away when challenged, he is comfortable and able to take guys on and get by them. He is comfortable holding the ball until something opens up and he is pretty amazing with the ball at his feet in tight at being able to control it at pace around defenders. Of course it is easier to do this at the Championship level versus EPL but I don't see much reason to think those skills don't translate.

For us most importantly I don't think we have a player like that. He would be a great addition to the team, bring some much needed youth and creativity.

I doubt 100% that Levy will make the deal when there is likely a lot of interest or that Mourinho would push for him over "workers" like Lamela, Moura, Sissoko or Winks, so there is little chance we end up with him.

Super player that Bale was for us, I am ashamed of this guy's behaviour.

He has no shame in my opinion.

His manager cannot stand him, he is nearing the end of a fabulous career and he sits and rots. Some will say principle - bo!!ocks.

Utterly disgusting.
To be blessed with a wonderful natural footballing talent like he has and then not feel any need or desire to use it during the peak period of your career is tantamount to criminal in my book. He may well feel that he's 'proving a point' to everyone at Real Madrid (particularly Zidane) with his sarcastic poses on the substitutes bench and taking his millions of unearned pieces of silver until his contract runs out.
One day however, his two daughters and son will ask about his playing days and he will somehow have to explain those wasted years in Spain just sitting on his arse or playing golf.

What he is doing, or allowing his agent to do, will one day, in the years that lie ahead, come back to haunt him.

Alexis has a bad agent if he didn’t at least get a decently sized buyout from ManUtd.
Sanchez and his agent:
377C073B00000578-0-image-a-76_1471860020257.jpg

Back
Top Bottom