Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Superior compared to what Mou seems willing to put out there. Ndombele-Hojbjerg-Lo Celso would be better in my mind.

There are Championship midfields superior to Winks-Sissoko as a midfield pair.
ndidi over hojberg for me. if we are getting rid of ndombele we need to get kondogbia in with valencia''s plight then yes our midfield would be better then those two. get in skrinier and we might dare to dream

Dier just signed a new contract and went straight into the starting XI when he returned from suspension in place of Davinson.

Tanganga has been better at full back than CB, let him play there. Not an issue. Lots of top CBs have played at full back when they were young.

That is one of the main reasons that I want Dier gone, not just that he is not good enough, but the manager has shown no matter how poor he plays he will continue to run Dier out ahead of better players.

As for Tanganga, ideally we would sell Aurier and bring in 2 FB's, one that would be our 1st choice RB and a second, younger player that could back up at both spots and challenge Davies at RB. Then Tanganga would only need to occasionally play at RB as the 3rd choice RB. I don't mind him playing there occasionally but am not too keen on him being the starter at RB in Europa/Cup games rather than getting time at CB.

I think he is much more valuable and his ceiling is much higher as a CB so I would like to have his focus on that position rather than primarily playing at RB.

That is one of the main reasons that I want Dier gone, not just that he is not good enough, but the manager has shown no matter how poor he plays he will continue to run Dier out ahead of better players.

Is this the same Dier that he subbed off after 29mins in the CL?

Is this the same Dier that he subbed off after 29mins in the CL?

I don't remember that specific game but it likely is.

It is the same Dier that started over Toby after the break and then started over Sanchez after his suspension despite being by far the worst of the 3 all season long and especially after the break.

I don't remember that specific game but it likely is.

It is the same Dier that started over Toby after the break and then started over Sanchez after his suspension despite being by far the worst of the 3 all season long and especially after the break.

I actually thought Dier didn’t look too bad after the break. He had clearly shed some pounds and someone finally realised he is not a midfielder. He led the defence quite well in some games - he just needs to cut out the rash challenges. I think a sustained run at CB might help with that. He looked better than every one of Utd’s centre backs and they finished third.

For the first time in 2 years I think Dier might have a decent future here

O
On a serious note

I blame Sissoko for pointing in the box and VAR for being a cunt

I blame Poch for not starting Lucas but the rest of the team was our best at the time, imv

I blame Liverpool for being better on the night

But above all, John - I blame our lack of winning mentality and belief. We’re mental midgets when it comes to the big stage and that’s where it all lies for me - Chiellini was spot on. Not sure how to fix it either

If Mourinho can’t fix it then nobody can. We might as well give up.

I don't remember that specific game but it likely is...

Convenient......

Shame about the obligatory Man U penalty, but he was otherwise widely getting plaudits in the first 2 games before his ban kicked in. Bringing him back on over Sanchez was a judgement call.... Arguably it didn't pay off, but some calls don't. Doesn't mean to say jose won't drop him again if he sees fit.

But we only have a tight budget because Levy chooses to prioritise other aspects of the commodity.

We only have a tight budget because that's the way ENIC choose to run our club.

On the one hand, he pays himself more than all of his PL counterparts. , while on the other hand, invests a lower proportion of our wealth into the football team.

So Levy doesn't deserve to be cut any slack whatsoever.

He deserves to pay himself well, look at the mess we were in before ENIC took over.

To think he only cares about lining his own pocket and not Tottenham is ridiculous.

Tottenham is run as a proper self sufficient business and to be honest, I’m fine with that.

I actually thought Dier didn’t look too bad after the break. He had clearly shed some pounds and someone finally realised he is not a midfielder. He led the defence quite well in some games - he just needs to cut out the rash challenges. I think a sustained run at CB might help with that. He looked better than every one of Utd’s centre backs and they finished third.

For the first time in 2 years I think Dier might have a decent future here

He was terrible against United giving away a needless penalty and then almost doing it again later. That game seemed to show that he hasn't got rid of the rash challenges especially against the top players.

West Ham he didn't have to do anything since they didn't really try to score. That was kind of a perfect game for him since there was no need for him to think about what to do or get taken advantage of because of his lack of football IQ.

Sheffield again showed his terrible defensive awareness and he was often out of position leading to chances and goals.

The team looked a lot better with Toby and Sanchez paired together because Toby can do the heavy lifting for Sanchez allowing him to play a simpler game. Sanchez doesn't have to make as many decisions with or without the ball that he does when Dier is there putting him in tough positions.

I don't see how or why we would expect him to cut out the rash challenges when they arise from his poor defensive instincts that get him into bad spots so he reacts quickly which is terrible for him.

Maguire is fun to make fun of but there is not a chance that Dier looked better than him. Not really sure that he looked better than Lindelof or Baily either if we take off the homer glasses either.

Dier is flat out bad and if he were playing for another team, especially a rival, we would be laughing about them continuing to run him out there after giving away so many chances/goals for the other team.

He was terrible against United giving away a needless penalty and then almost doing it again later. That game seemed to show that he hasn't got rid of the rash challenges especially against the top players.

West Ham he didn't have to do anything since they didn't really try to score. That was kind of a perfect game for him since there was no need for him to think about what to do or get taken advantage of because of his lack of football IQ.

Sheffield again showed his terrible defensive awareness and he was often out of position leading to chances and goals.

The team looked a lot better with Toby and Sanchez paired together because Toby can do the heavy lifting for Sanchez allowing him to play a simpler game. Sanchez doesn't have to make as many decisions with or without the ball that he does when Dier is there putting him in tough positions.

I don't see how or why we would expect him to cut out the rash challenges when they arise from his poor defensive instincts that get him into bad spots so he reacts quickly which is terrible for him.

Maguire is fun to make fun of but there is not a chance that Dier looked better than him. Not really sure that he looked better than Lindelof or Baily either if we take off the homer glasses either.

Dier is flat out bad and if he were playing for another team, especially a rival, we would be laughing about them continuing to run him out there after giving away so many chances/goals for the other team.

Apart from all that though.....he was very good

Convenient......

Shame about the obligatory Man U penalty, but he was otherwise widely getting plaudits in the first 2 games before his ban kicked in. Bringing him back on over Sanchez was a judgement call.... Arguably it didn't pay off, but some calls don't. Doesn't mean to say jose won't drop him again if he sees fit.

Convenient? I said it was likely him, I didn't contradict you or say you were wrong I just said I didn't remember all the details of a game from November.

Starting him over Toby at the start of the break was stupid. Not sure how he was getting plaudits he was bad in that Man United game and terrible in the Sheffield United game as well.

I will give him credit in the two games that West Ham and Everton offered basically nothing going forward he looked ok, not great but ok.

Toby was so much more impressive once he came into the team for Dier and Sanchez looked much more comfortable as well.

I am not sure how bringing in a worse player who hasn't played in 4 games and breaking up a partnership that was clearly working is a judgement call. It seems pretty easy to keep playing the better player that had been playing better and having success with the other CB.

Apart from all that though.....he was very good

Sure if you take out his numerous mistakes and only look at the games he was asked to do very little in he looked good.

Not as good as Toby or Sanchez, but not as bad as he normally does or if you actually look at the entirety of his game.

This is the thing with Maureen he has his faves and likes collecting CBs. There was no reason to split Toby and Dav v CP.. He played Aurier in every game same as sissoko never gave anyone else a chance. Made the same subs in all the games.
I’m worried now that he would swap an attacking skilful CM for another CB. I’m sure the whole point of buying PEH was that would help the back 4 and then we’d have the more attacking players do their stuff.

Isn't it time we moved away from all this talk of back up strikers willing to sit on the bench.
It's this sort of nonsense why we win fuck all and have lost our Champions league place.

Surely to Fuck we're a big enough, rich enough club to go out and get someone to compete with as well as compliment Harry Kane.

How many games have we had where Kane has been as much use as a traffic cone.

Kane himself needs competition. And a club of our stature being unable, or unwilling to provide it is nothing short of a fucking scandel
I would much much prefer your way of doing it, but there’s no way we’ll go out and try to buy a top striker, not while we have Kane.

Wilson is about as good as we’re going to get

Convenient? I said it was likely him, I didn't contradict you or say you were wrong I just said I didn't remember all the details of a game from November.

Convenient in that even though you've now been reminded; you refuse to ackowledge it as counter-evidence to your 'golden boy' theory.

Starting him over Toby at the start of the break was stupid. Not sure how he was getting plaudits he was bad in that Man United game[/quote]

He got a lot of love for his overall performance.... If you'd rather let 2 united players throwing themselves to the ground cloud that then that's up to you. That acclaim continued through the WH game however.

and terrible in the Sheffield United game as well.

The whole backline was a clown-show that night.....

Toby was so much more impressive once he came into the team for Dier and Sanchez looked much more comfortable as well.

I am not sure how bringing in a worse player who hasn't played in 4 games and breaking up a partnership that was clearly working is a judgement call. It seems pretty easy to keep playing the better player that had been playing better and having success with the other CB.

It's been no-where near as cut and dried as you wish to make out.... Toby has been shat on for a large amount of this season.... Dav always gets a hard time...... Dier isn't universally considered definitively the worst CB in the squad.... So yes, it WAS a judgement call.

Jose played Bergwijn as #10 twice during the run in and it was a shit move both times (despite you pretending he had no other option when there were 4 other players with notable experience as a creative/CAM).... Will we see Jose persist with this all next season or was he just trying something..?. A so-called bad call?

Last edited:
I would much much prefer your way of doing it, but there’s no way we’ll go out and try to buy a top striker, not while we have Kane.

Wilson is about as good as we’re going to get

It's crazy how dry the ST market has gotten over the past X years though... Think back to when we first started knocking on the door for top 4..... Berba, Defoe, Keane, Pav, Bent, Adebayor (+ Loans for Campbell, Saha & Gudjohnsen) all in a short period of time.... And that's without troubling the top of the food-chain.

Since then us, Arse, United & at times Liverpool have scratched around trying to get a quality #1 and #2.

Back
Top Bottom