Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And all were promising or genuinely talented.

Some won't work out but that's football.

That was a decent window and I think the best is yet to come from a few of them players

Not a single FB or back-up striker added which were two of our biggest needs.

Our supposed great window which shows how committed this ownership is and we don't come away filling any of our major areas of needs.

So you are fine going with Cirkin as our starting LB in the PL if Davies gets hurt?

It is unclear whether Cirkin is even up for playing in the EL/Cup games let alone having to play LB if Davies is unable to go.

Tanganga or Gedson as the back-up RB options are pretty awful options as well. Means one of them has to play there in EL/Cup games, likely hurting Tanganga's development as a CB, and neither is a good option if our new RB goes down.

And if we add nobody to our MF we will once again be in trouble when teams park the bus or get an early goal against us.

I don't see the harm in it no the management have nothing but praise for him and think he must be ready by putting him on the bench, and there's only one way to find out if the lads good enough

Also plenty of CBs start as fullbacks, but no ideally if like us to sign two new RBs but understand that it's likely not possible with what's going on atm in football and the world.

Also disagree on the last part a midfield trio of Hojberg Ndombele and Lo Celso will be ideal for breaking teams down

My fear is when we play the big boys we still don't have the true destroyer CDM we need

Planning is one thing, executing is another. No plan survives round 1 with the enemy as the old military saying goes.

Is it ideal? No. But I would honestly prioritize another striker to backup Harry. Tanganga has proven that he can work as RB.

If we cannot find what we need in the market we have to put the faith in our own academy. Dust it off after years of lack of use.

Would I like to see two new RBs in this window? Sure. But I also don't hold it as super likely.
That´s what I´m saying - it´s about priorities.

I can understand not bringing in another CB - even though it would be nice to do it. Is it ideal? No. It´s about priorities. Pandemic. Finances. I can understand all that.

But having two FB´s for each side is a basic thing - it should be a priority. We need a backup striker, we need backup FB´s.

It´s not acceptable for a big club to have a squad with just two recognized FB´s.

Better on the ball than Sanchez? Crikey, I'm not sure about that, to be honest. If he is, I don't think it's by much! Not sure when I last saw him play RB, however.

I'd much prefer Mukiele, but he has found himself somewhat out of favour/been putting in some ropey displays since the restart. Dunno why.
The fact we are talking about the ball playing ability of Sanchez and Klostermann doesn't bode well 😂

Our supposed great window which shows how committed this ownership is and we don't come away filling any of our major areas of needs.

We started the season with Serge/KWP + Foyth in Poch's plans. Davies/Sess + Jan for emergencies on the left.

Our major need was a midfield revamp.... We spent 100m.

I don't see the harm in it no the management have nothing but praise for him and think he must be ready by putting him on the bench, and there's only one way to find out if the lads good enough

Also plenty of CBs start as fullbacks, but no ideally if like us to sign two new RBs but understand that it's likely not possible with what's going on atm in football and the world.

Also disagree on the last part a midfield trio of Hojberg Ndombele and Lo Celso will be ideal for breaking teams down

My fear is when we play the big boys we still don't have the true destroyer CDM we need

Ndombele has not shown he can play a full 90 minutes yet so relying on him is a bit iffy and PEH certainly hasn't shown any ability to break down a parked bus either. As we saw last year it is hard for GLC to do it all on his own especially when he has to come back so deep to get the ball and if Ndombele is not the star his fans say he is it is likely that GLC will be in the exact same role as he was last year doing it all on his own.

Even if Ndombele is fit and great, it sure would be nice to have a creative element coming off the bench or available if either GLC or Ndombele are injured, sick, having a poor day, tired etc. It seems like another season where so much of the heavy lifting is put on one or two players shoulders, and that is with them at their best.

That´s what I´m saying - it´s about priorities.

I can understand not bringing in another CB - even though it would be nice to do it. Is it ideal? No. It´s about priorities. Pandemic. Finances. I can understand all that.

But having two FB´s for each side is a basic thing - it should be a priority. We need a backup striker, we need backup FB´s.

It´s not acceptable for a big club to have a squad with just two recognized FB´s.
Rose is still at the club and has said that he wants to stay. So if he does then LB is taken care of.

And as I said, Tanganga has been fine at RB and can work as the backup for whoever we replace Serge with. I'm not disagreeing that we really need to bring in 2. And if there wasn't a pandemic we probably would be.

What are we even arguing about?

We started the season with Serge/KWP + Foyth in Poch's plans. Davies/Sess + Jan for emergencies on the left.

Our major need was a midfield revamp.... We spent 100m.

We needed a back-up striker that was clear as day. Especially if you are including the winter transfer window with Bergwijn and Gedson that you listed.

I am not sure how Sessegnon was in the plans when he played so rarely. But by the winter with him doing nothing and KWP being sent out and Foyth being out of plans it was clear we needed at least one FB as cover.

We needed a midfield revamp, got nobody who could play DM, got GLC that replaced Eriksen who we already had and were left starting dregs like Sissoko and Winks. Not really sure that was much of a revamp or addressing the needs we had.

I'd say getting replacements for Dembele and the not so committed Eriksen were bigger priorities at the time think they tried to do that.

Back up for kane has been an issue for whatever reason but in all honesty is only a problem when he isn't fit. It's a risk.

And I think there trying to sort the full back issue now.

I don't think we're going to see both flanks having marauding full backs like under poch.
Jose seems to like Davies and is happy for only one FB to attack.

RB is our priority and will be sure it will be sorted before season starts

Rose is still at the club and has said that he wants to stay. So if he does then LB is taken care of.

And as I said, Tanganga has been fine at RB and can work as the backup for whoever we replace Serge with. I'm not disagreeing that we really need to bring in 2. And if there wasn't a pandemic we probably would be.

Thank God you brought Danny Rose to the discussion. I was beginning to get worried...

We are having this discussion because, pandemic or not, a big club shouldn´t go to a season with obvious gaps in the squad.

It´s not acceptable.

Deeney could go to Utd or Chelsea, and the same mob who want Levy out for looking at Deeney would want Levy out for “missing a trick” by not signing Deeney.

Sooo boring
Deeney isn’t going to any of those teams because those teams sign quality not relegated rejects

You’ve put Levy above the club - telling

Rose is the solution to our LB issue?

A guy that is not good enough for Newcastle to want, not good enough for any team to take off our hands for basically free and a player that has said he doesn't want to play for us anymore?

Tanganga is "fine" at RB because he is better than the nothing we have there. He isn't a RB based on his skill set, it is not the spot we are planning or hoping to develop him at and he doesn't play RB because his skill set fits there. He is an RB based almost entirely because we have a need there.

If he is the back-up RB that means he likely has to play there as a starter for most if not all EL/Cup games from the start of the season to Christmas. That likely means zero games for him at CB in those competitions to help develop his skills at that position.

It also means that we likely don't have a RB in our system developing to potentially take over when the New signing moves on or if they don't work out.

It seems like such short term, poor planning to go with Tanganga as the #2 RB.But very much like how this club has been run under Levy filling holes in the dam with paper rather than addressing the issues properly.

Back
Top Bottom