Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As I keep saying....
Where Poch made us dare... José will make us do!!
Just read this, the description of what Poch is up to now did make me smile :

Just read this, the description of what Poch is up to now did make me smile :
Stopped reading when I got to this - What does the Portuguese Pulis do?

LG Arena naming rights incoming.
Life's Good Arena?

5a2b60eb1a50f22cd95504a20681a54f.png

Consider me a convert.

Going on the documentary so far, he is shrewd and not afraid to tell some home truths to our players.

Additionally, some of the negative football arguments are dispelled looking at his direct instructions at half time etc (the West Ham game at the start of episode two is a perfect example: he wanted more goals at 2:0 at half time, not resting on our laurels).

Make no mistake, the changes he's making in this transfer window are going to make a huge difference.

One thing that jumped out to me in the first couple of days Jose is already flagging how quite we are as a team (Harry is a quiet leader etc) - signings like PEH and Hart make lots of sense in that regard...

He also mentioned how we need to be aggressive.

And then name dropped Doherty as being aggressive when talking about Wolves..

"I accepted the opportunity to go to United, it felt tempting and it was something good for me, I liked this club a lot when I was a kid. Eventually I signed but I didn't ask for information on what was happening inside the club.

"Sometimes there are things that you don't realise until you get there, and I remember the first training session I had, I realised a lot of things.

"After the session I got home and I told my family and my agent 'can you not rip up the contract to go back to Woolwich?' They laughed, I told them there's something that doesn't sit right, it doesn't seem good.

"But I already signed, I was already there. After the first few months I carried on having the same feeling, we weren't united as a team in that moment."

"They said it was my fault, and this, and that, but sometimes a player depends on the environment, the family that is created around him, and I think that in that moment we weren't really a family.

Jose Mourinho was in charge at United when Sanchez arrived in January 2018 and kept faith in the Chile international for the remainder of that season.

Mourinho's patience wore thin at the start of the next campaign and he dropped Sanchez from the squad for a Premier League match at West Ham in September.

It was a first in Sanchez's career.

"I accepted the opportunity to go to United, it felt tempting and it was something good for me, I liked this club a lot when I was a kid. Eventually I signed but I didn't ask for information on what was happening inside the club.

"Sometimes there are things that you don't realise until you get there, and I remember the first training session I had, I realised a lot of things.

"After the session I got home and I told my family and my agent 'can you not rip up the contract to go back to Woolwich?' They laughed, I told them there's something that doesn't sit right, it doesn't seem good.

"But I already signed, I was already there. After the first few months I carried on having the same feeling, we weren't united as a team in that moment."

"They said it was my fault, and this, and that, but sometimes a player depends on the environment, the family that is created around him, and I think that in that moment we weren't really a family.

Jose Mourinho was in charge at United when Sanchez arrived in January 2018 and kept faith in the Chile international for the remainder of that season.

Mourinho's patience wore thin at the start of the next campaign and he dropped Sanchez from the squad for a Premier League match at West Ham in September.

Must have been one heck of a training session :mourhandlaugh:

sudoku Thanks. I was about to post the exact same extract in this Mourinho thread.

I have two main thoughts.

Firstly, is Sanchez really that stupid? To think he can sign a massive contract with a new employer, and then tear it up two days later because he's not sure he likes his new workplace? Who does he think he is? Meghan Markle?

Secondly, in Mourinho terms, the mentality of Sanchez was abysmal.
------------------------------------------
‘It’s as if one of the most tenacious football players you will ever see with and without the ball has lost absolutely everything,’ Neville said on Sky Sports in May 2018.
'That’s from confidence, to his energy, to his legs, to his dribbling abilities, to his goals.
'There is nothing left in Alexis Sanchez at all. And we are still waiting for him to turn up.’
For Sanchez, there was another reality check at the beginning of the 2018-19 season. Ahead of the clash with West Ham on September 29, he was informed that he had been left out of the team entirely by Jose Mourinho.
It is safe to say this is something that didn’t go down well.
'In a game with West Ham I wasn't picked. That had never happened to me as a player. It bothered me and I said it couldn't be possible.
'To go from being one of the best in the Premier League to not playing in five months. I came to my house and I was very sad. The next day I trained in a double shift, because I love what I do.'

------------------------------------------

So, Sanchez had completely lost his MoJo. I note that in the comments I've seen, he doesn't blame Mourinho for this. But Mourinho clearly didn't succeed in sparking him back to life. And when Solskjaer took over, Sanchez only spoke to him to tell him he wanted to leave manure.

This suggests that whatever Sanchez didn't like about Old Trafford was not essentially Mourinho-related.
------------------------------------------------
'Then the next coach (OGS) arrived, the current one, and I decided to talk to him,’ he said.
‘I told him that I needed to take a breather, and the opportunity to go to Inter. He told me that yes, there was no problem.'

-------------------------------------------------
I note that Sanchez has been absolutely abysmal for another tough coach, Conte, at Inter.

Ultimately, if a player on a huge contract decides he doesn't fancy it anymore, Ozil also springs to mind, there's very little a coach can do.

As for Tanguy Ndombele, I think he's a gifted footballer, with creative vision we desperately need in our side. I hope he finds his MoJo, gets himself fit, and is able to persuade Mourinho to adapt his tactics to enable his talents to flourish.

But ultimately, it's down to Tanguy.

To be honest it says more about Sanchez than it does Jose. He was shit and arsey in his last season at the scum, shit at United and shit in Italy... maybe he doesn't feel at home there either.

Back
Top Bottom