Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have been back and forth with Igula about this subject A LOT. He doesn't get the argument. Table means everything. He is blocked for reasons other than this subject, but it could be worthwhile just ignoring him now.

I get the argument I just think that these genius managers at some point have to have their wonderful football get results or it is all a little pointless.

tenor.gif

Quoted from Mr Arse John Cross, so nothing to see here

I've never seen a reaction like this off fans after 1 match, there was a better reaction when we lost 5-0 at home to Liverpool

I can understand you may not like him but it's 1 game, were we great? No, were Everton amazing? No, lovely possession in their half doing nothing with it & they scored from a set piece, we had our chances

Is it impossible to think that our players need to get into a rhythm of playing again, is it impossible for things to change? I don't think it is

We have so many fans that are fucking wet wipes it's an utter joke

We won't be seeing free flowing football this season but I didn't expect that

If the poor results continue then lose your minds, but after one game it's pathetic

Last edited:
I've never seen a reaction like this off fans after 1 match, there was a better reaction when we lost 5-0 at home to Liverpool

I can understand you may not like him but it's 1 game, were we great? No, were Everton amazing? No, lovely possession in their half doing nothing with it & they scored from a set piece, we had our chances

Is it impossible to think that our players need to get into a rhythm of playing again, is it impossible for things to change? I don't think it is

If the poor results continue then lose your minds, but after one game it's pathetic
I think it’s the documentary. It’s put all eyes on the club and people are embarrassed about the display. A string of better displays will come, because the lads are honest. Maybe not always focused but honest nonetheless.

Did you see him talking about pressing in the Amazon Doc? I would love to see if he works diligently on that in practice or if it was just a dressing room instruction.

I made that mistake when coaching basketball with 6th graders. They were struggling to guard man-to-man and I was trying to coach 2-3 zone during halftime. Some kids got it, but most were confused as fuck. I didn't work on that prior in practice.

I am not saying Jose hasn't gone over his pressing tactics in practice, but the way they edited it made it look like the players were like "ok, good to know".

So what's my point? He was calling his front line lazy for not pressing effectively, but how much work has he actually put into pressing? Cause for the most part, we are not a pressing outfit. We don't press like SH, City, or Pool. For me it's not lazy, it's shit instruction.
I kind of agree - it could be - but if you looked at the game on Sunday, it looked like we dropped back into position and then an individual would move to press the ball when the opponents had it. It relied on a lot of fitness and effort - most of the team also did a ton of pressing back with Poch (not all, as some have gone).

Personally, I think it’s just legs gone early in the season as at the end of the lockdown games, we clearly had much more of a handle on it. The second-half tactics made no sense, either, so that didn’t help.

I think it’s the documentary. It’s put all eyes on the club and people are embarrassed about the display. A string of better displays will come, because the lads are honest. Maybe not always focused but honest nonetheless.
It reminds me of when people were criticizing Jose after his celebrations against Palace, calling it embarrassing: it´s inferiority complex.

It reminds me of when people were criticizing Jose after his celebrations against Palace, calling it embarrassing: it´s inferiority complex.
Yep - let’s be proud of what we’ve achieved and where we are! Which should take into account that it wasn’t like we got thrashed on Sunday; we got beaten on a set piece, and they nearly scored after Davies made a terrible pass. That was it.
The results will improve; players’ form will improve; Doherty and PEH will bed into the team; GLC will be back; N’Dombele may even find his mojo (or be sold)...plus we have the joy of Transfer Window Bingo for another few weeks!

My view is we have to back Mou 100%. The squad needs mentally gutting. If that means brutal transfer decisions over the next year so be it. We have technical quality but the squad mentality is too weak.

With respect it’s not just one game though is it? The anger and if you like, the ‘melting’ is a result of two years of frustration. Often, us football fans are wide of the mark on many issues - transfers, managers, tactics etc. However, we’ve known Levy for 20 years now and we all know Mourinho’s style of football. Not only that but many of us can identify the deficiencies in the team/squad.

The puff-piece, Amazon documentary hasn’t been edited enough to hide the amateurishness at the heart of the club. Weak hearted players needing cuddles and ego stroking, a clueless Hitchens dreading the transfer window - the time when he really needs to earn his money. Disingenuous and frankly creepy Levy, who can’t grasp the concept of spending to accumulate. And then the prince of the piece, Jose. The reality TV star. I wish he was appearing in someone else’s show cos in ours, he looks like a busted flush. A has-been. A tactical dinosaur. What we are seeing on TV is confirmed on the pitch with our own eyes - utter tedium, confusion. And without success to boot.

To blithely write off yet another season “we won’t be seeing free flowing football this season. I didn’t expect that” sticks in the craw and makes most of us wonder, ‘what’s the point’?

Those of us who’ve been around long enough have endured so many seasons of ‘transition’ is like a cruel joke. All at some of the highest ST prices in world football.

For all the glitzy media hype and billion pound stadium there’s an amateurishness about Spurs - and that’s on the owners, the players and the manager

Compared to our last 5 years? No

Compared to the PL in general? Yes

I think we are somewhere between 5-10th with 5/6 much more likely than 9/10.

I think there are 2 great teams, 2 top 4 teams then probably 5 teams- us, Woolwich, Leicester, Wolves, Everton in a clump.

After that a bunch of teams in a group with WBA and Fulham in a bottom 2.
So you would agree we are shit. Not sure why you’d make a ton of posts defending the reason why we are shit, it's not like there are any signs after nearly a year working with this team that anything has been improved or addressed.

Now Woolwich look under Artetta and from day one of his appointment, look to have addressed their shitness. We are worse than Everton, Wolves on account of them playing us off the park. Leicester are managed better than us, play better football than us and will probably finish above us again, I'm not completely convinced by them but because they play more progressive football than us (don't choose to concede possession against Burnley) will be rewarded as a consequence.

(IMO Woolwich was our best performance under Jose, didn't like how we played, but I thought it was complete Jose ball, where we controlled the majority of the game without the ball). But whilst our fanbase we're busy saying ”give Jose time” Artetta was lifting the FA Cup deservedly beating a team that has played us off the park twice last season. All these team's are better than us.

Chuck in the likes of Sheffield, Southampton and Brighton who on recent evidence have every possibility of finishing above us, on account that they play a bit of football.

With respect it’s not just one game though is it? The anger and if you like, the ‘melting’ is a result of two years of frustration. Often, us football fans are wide of the mark on many issues - transfers, managers, tactics etc. However, we’ve known Levy for 20 years now and we all know Mourinho’s style of football. Not only that but many of us can identify the deficiencies in the team/squad.

The puff-piece, Amazon documentary hasn’t been edited enough to hide the amateurishness at the heart of the club. Weak hearted players needing cuddles and ego stroking, a clueless Hitchens dreading the transfer window - the time when he really needs to earn his money. Disingenuous and frankly creepy Levy, who can’t grasp the concept of spending to accumulate. And then the prince of the piece, Jose. The reality TV star. I wish he was appearing in someone else’s show cos in ours, he looks like a busted flush. A has-been. A tactical dinosaur. What we are seeing on TV is confirmed on the pitch with our own eyes - utter tedium, confusion. And without success to boot.

To blithely write off yet another season “we won’t be seeing free flowing football this season. I didn’t expect that” sticks in the craw and makes most of us wonder, ‘what’s the point’?

Those of us who’ve been around long enough have endured so many seasons of ‘transition’ is like a cruel joke. All at some of the highest ST prices in world football.

For all the glitzy media hype and billion pound stadium there’s an amateurishness about Spurs - and that’s on the owners, the players and the manager
If it's really that then people need to spot giving Mourinho flack but that won't be happening anytime soon

If it's really that then people need to spot giving Mourinho flack but that won't be happening anytime soon

I’d like to rally around our manager and to trust him, the board and the players he has identified as the ones he wants.

However, i, like many, just can’t see any evidence that he has the skills and desire to succeed at Spurs. One off game in the Cup v Norwich at home (fucking Norwich?!!) Poor selection, poor tactics. Beaten.

Post lockdown - turgid, uninspiring outdated tactics. Sam Allardyce with a tan.

First game v Everton - confirmation that he will not change and that he is incapable of motivating his team.

I wish I could give him my support because after an opening day loss when all of our rivals have won we need a show of unity. However, I can’t ignore the evidence placed right in front of my eyes

I’d like to rally around our manager and to trust him, the board and the players he has identified as the ones he wants.

However, i, like many, just can’t see any evidence that he has the skills and desire to succeed at Spurs. One off game in the Cup v Norwich at home (fucking Norwich?!!) Poor selection, poor tactics. Beaten.

Post lockdown - turgid, uninspiring outdated tactics. Sam Allardyce with a tan.

First game v Everton - confirmation that he will not change and that he is incapable of motivating his team.

I wish I could give him my support because after an opening day loss when all of our rivals have won we need a show of unity. However, I can’t ignore the evidence placed right in front of my eyes
So your statement about it being 2 years of frustration isn't right then?

Post lockdown, looked decent bar Sheffield United, not tiki taka but no one expects that but decent

Then the first game after a interrupted pre season and he is a failure? I'll repeat what I said above in bold and just answer me that

So your statement about it being 2 years of frustration isn't right then?

I understand he has a certain style and that’s fine, every manager is different.

However for a manager that has won as much as he has, there are some incredibly basic mistakes on show

Complete lack of strategy when going forwards, no set game plan, just short passes around the defence/midfield before a long punt forwards.

Hideous substitutions, no adapting to the opposition. Gomes, Allan and Doucoure murdered us in midfield, he brings off Alli for Sissoko, fair enough if he plays Sissoko in a midfield 3 to combat Everton, but he plays him on the fucking right wing and puts Lucas at number 10, absolutely baffling

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but I want him out now, he’s a prehistoric Chelsea rat that’ll blame his own granny rather than admit he made mistakes

He’s been in charge for 30 odd games now and there has been no improvement, just the odd spunky win like City at home

Alright, no need to get all shouty. No, my statement is incorrect. I’m sorry.

I’ll defer to you on all footballing matters from now on. You clearly know best.

The two years thing was merely an expression of the frustration of having spurned a golden opportunity. Mourinho can’t be blamed for that, you are right. But we can judge him on his previous appointments and his 10 months in charge

Back
Top Bottom