Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The disrespect for Lucas is outrageous.

Lucas Moura is a good squad player. At £25m he has been a successful signing - one of our more successful in recent years. I think the hate he gets is unjustified. He's one of the few players we have that can actually dribble past opposition defenders, pops up with important goals and contributes well defensively - and he's full of pashun. It seems to have become fashionable for the football hipsters to shoot him down but I don't get it.

There is no disrespect he just isn't that good anymore.

He rarely dribbles past defenders anymore, more often running into the spaces where they are or Kane/Son already are losing the ball. On the very few times that he does get past a guy he rarely even lifts his head to make a pass to open teammates. He is way too head down focused to see defenders or make needed passes.

The pops up with important goals is based on so few occassions that it is a narrative that isn't close to the truth. Yes Ajax happened and that is awesome but that is so far from the norm and now excuses so much poor play from him that it is laughable.

If we are down a goal Moura offers nothing to the team. He cannot make passes into the box to Kane or Son, cannot beat players to open up the defense, he cannot control the ball well enough to take long passes from the back and he is not fast enough to consistently beat defenders on the outside.

He is a big reason that we struggled to create when things weren't working or teams went defensive because he is so limited in what he can do attacking.

Anyway this is a digression from the original point which was the ludicrous notion that Eze or Stengs would be a more exciting signing than Bale.

I know this fetishisation of the latest Football Manager backed 19-year old from Holland is tempting but this is going too far.

I already disagreed with the Bale comments, I think Bale over the young guys is not the way to go.

But the idea that people who want to bring in young talent are just FM wannabes and should be passed off as such is pretty weak. I may not agree with the idea but at least it was presented with some thought rather than most of the useless replies that are full of anger and stupidity because someone dared suggest that a Spurs player isn't the most aweseomest.

The disrespect for Lucas is outrageous.

Lucas Moura is a good squad player. At £25m he has been a successful signing - one of our more successful in recent years. I think the hate he gets is unjustified. He's one of the few players we have that can actually dribble past opposition defenders, pops up with important goals and contributes well defensively - and he's full of pashun. It seems to have become fashionable for the football hipsters to shoot him down but I don't get it.

Anyway this is a digression from the original point which was the ludicrous notion that Eze or Stengs would be a more exciting signing than Bale.

I know this fetishisation of the latest Football Manager backed 19-year old from Holland is tempting but this is going too far.
I couldn’t agree more. Lucas is different level of quality to Lamela, yet he seems to get far more hate and criticism. It’s weird.

So what is it then?

We are talking about replacing limited players on the team with players that have a skill set that better fit what our team needs are.

It is as much, if not more about the skillset than age. If we can't get a younger creative player, I would be fine bringing in someone the same age as Moura but who is more creative than he is. But of course if the player is young and developing that is good as well.

Bus conductor might not agree I am not speaking for him, just from my perspective.

Are we then giving up on Europa League and the Domestic Cups?

Or going with wingers forced into forward roles that has repeatedly let us down?

Or playing our 3 injury prone players in multiple competitions and multiple games a week?

I certainly agree lets stay away from paying 25 million for a mediocre guy that does nothing for our starting 11, but if we could get a guy super cheap like Bas Dost for 5 million why not have him come in to play Europa and Plymouth type games?
Not against signing a striker, just don’t think we will if Bale arrives. We are almost certainly going to flog Kane, Son and Bale to death, yes. And we’d have Lucas, Stevie B, Lamela all to play wide at a pinch. We’d be the unluckiest team on the planet if the first choice three were all injured at the same time.

Oh come on man. He puts up decent stats if all you look at is goals/assists but anyone watching the games can tell you his link up play is horrible. It’s overreactions like this that cause the hate against Moura from some.

Which in turn is it's own flavour of wankishness. Get plenty of that regarding Winks too.

Hating on a player cos some rate him more than another does?

.....Had enough of that crap a few years ago with all the twisted 'you can only like Son or Lamela' bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom