Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree, and I think our CBs and how we setup the midfield were the main problem today. I think these are solvable issues, though.

Don't start Dier, don't have Winks as the deepest midfielder. Those two things alone probably fix alot of the issues from the first half today.

The problem was the inability to trust Winks or PEH with the ball in tight spaces. We just kept hoofing it up the pitch.

A thing I have noticed is that we no longer play an inverted FB like the way we played with Aurier. Doherty is in line with the other 3 defenders. With Aurier up the pitch, we are taking one of their midfielders out of the middle of the pitch, giving our CM2 a bit more room to operate. Now, we don't do that and thus the team is highly reliant on the CMs to control the game and they just couldn't. Tanguy was playing much further ahead and should have been dropping back to get the ball more, but I suspect Jose told him to stay high as he doesn't like his work rate in defense.

The problem was the inability to trust Winks or PEH with the ball in tight spaces. We just kept hoofing it up the pitch.

A thing I have noticed is that we no longer play an inverted FB like the way we played with Aurier. Doherty is in line with the other 3 defenders. With Aurier up the pitch, we are taking one of their midfielders out of the middle of the pitch, giving our CM2 a bit more room to operate. Now, we don't do that and thus the team is highly reliant on the CMs to control the game and they just couldn't. Tanguy was playing much further ahead and should have been dropping back to get the ball more, but I suspect Jose told him to stay high as he doesn't like his work rate in defense.
The thing is that Winks is a terrible defender. It would be better if Hojbjerg just sat deep and Winks had the freer role up the pitch.

And the CBs are hoofing it because that's the direction, which is ironic because 4/5 goals today came from the midfield setting up the play, with the one exception being that great ball from Sanchez to Kane which was in the space and not a ball over the top.

Yeah, our problem now is the defense. Doherty is an attacking player and leave holes in the defense that we supposed to be covered for one our midfielders, but one of our midfielder is someone that only exist in the paper. When we have Reguilon wi will certainly need to play 3 at the back or use Aurier. Also, Dier and Toby are looking pretty bad, and that's happening for a long time now. Maybe Davinson should be our unanimity in the defense now, also thinks Tanganga and Davies would do better there than the usually starters.

The thing is that Winks is a terrible defender. It would be better if Hojbjerg just sat deep and Winks had the freer role up the pitch.

And the CBs are hoofing it because that's the direction, which is ironic because 4/5 goals today came from the midfield setting up the play, with the one exception being that great ball from Sanchez to Kane which was in the space and not a ball over the top.

Winks is a horrible 6, why he is the deepest is beyond me, but it has to be because he is the only body we have and I think Jose likes PEHs ability to roam and hunt more. So it is less dangerous to have Winks in the hole than the more aggressive PEH.

The directions from Jose do seem to be, hoof it up and win the second ball, which is baffling to me and a major reason I don't enjoy the guy, but that isn't the point.

The Ndombele involved goal was down to pure brilliance. I wish I knew were to find the stats I am looking for, but in the first half, out midfield barely touched the ball. That is because SH were on the front foot, keeping us thoroughly in our won half. The CBs had no option but to hoof it and we couldn't win that second ball.

The second half, which I again cannot find the heat map or the stat to help back up my argument, saw SH sit off us a bit more and PEH, GLC, and Winks were on the ball more. This allowed them to find Kane and others in the attack.

In order to compete, with the ball on the carpet, we have to improve our CM positions. PEH is alright, but I hope Jose continue to play a 433 and trust in possession a bit more. This is why I hope DM is our #1 target. We need some belief in there.

He spent an absolute fortune on dross, played terrible football, constantly moaned about transfers and was frankly embarassing about Luke Shaw and Martial which came across as snidey bullying, their fans were more tban happy to see him go. He won 2 trophies,(not the ones United are used too) got them top 4 and left them a rabble in 7th or 8th in an atmosphere of toxicity. Not really much different from Van Gaal. A manager as limited as Solskjaer got them 3rd. Shit? Maybe not but for United it was bang average and just unenjoyable.
I'm not the mourinho fan but constantly pointing to his time at United is a little unfair. United have huge problems. Woodward being a big one. When fergie was at the club he ruled that place with an iron first, no player was bigger than that club. Many stories of him showing up at players houses to make sure they weren't being party boys. If you disrupted the team you'd be lucky to survive. Then when Jose takes the job you've got pogba playing shite but acting like Jesus. Martial having a sulky head while being inconsistent. Shaw was out of shape and in my opinion is still way off fulfilling his potential. Jose must have been looking at all this and wondering what's happened to man utd. But with Woodward calling the shots Jose was calling on deaf ears.
You might find ole a bit nicer than Jose but he's got the exact same problems that Jose had and no sign of them improving. As long as they keep bowing to players like pogbas demands while they deliver diarrhoea performances on the pitch they'll never get better.
Jose was just not willing to hide his frustration of the club. Ole is because he is never getting a better gig than that ever again

Anyone still think Mourinho should be our manager after this shitshow of a first half? All we've got is shit balls in space to players in offside. 0 shots, 0 touches in opponents box. Fucking horrible football.

That some people can actually support this fucking clueless dinosaur baffles me.
You should stop listening to the media and to united fans. the fanbase have this huge favoritism towards some of the players and they crucified mourinho because he dares to drop those player as if they understand football better than someone with 25 major trophies throughout his career. Now tell me what did they have won since he left ? What did they have won since Martial, Pogba and Rashford start playing regularly with freedom and smile on their face ? Nothing , so how can anyone said Mourinho was wrong to drop them ? Rashford didn't turn up when it matters, Pogba didn't turn up when it matters, Martial didn't turn up when it matters, they bottled all the 3 semifinal they got in last season. The media may paint Mourinho as some kind of finished dinosaur coach but trust me, the only one finished is Manchester United Football club , with their incompetent management and board who decide who to play based on popularity votes not Mourinho. Mourinho prefer players who gave 6-7 / 10 each game than players who drop 8-9 and then 2-4 the next game, it's about being consistent which is why he loved Matic and Fellaini back then which is also why Harry Winks played regularly too, because consistency is what a squad needed to win the league, those players who only good for 1-2 games does look nice on youtube compilation though. About game management yesterday against southampton, notice how Mourinho not only manage the style and pattern to play , he also manage his player stamina, he realized soton would have run out of their gas in second half after running around the pitch for the first 45 minutes and told kane to drop deeper to feed son through ball and rip them apart in second half. He is tactical genius who only focused at winning the game , and as long as the players buy into his idea , He will definitely delivers.

Last edited:
He spent an absolute fortune on dross, played terrible football, constantly moaned about transfers and was frankly embarassing about Luke Shaw and Martial which came across as snidey bullying, their fans were more tban happy to see him go. He won 2 trophies,(not the ones United are used too) got them top 4 and left them a rabble in 7th or 8th in an atmosphere of toxicity. Not really much different from Van Gaal. A manager as limited as Solskjaer got them 3rd. Shit? Maybe not but for United it was bang average and just unenjoyable.
Well now they have a manager who spread positivity in their dressing room , play "united way" , getting of rid deadwood , playing shaw and martial every week and etc yet somehow they finished with 66 points twice ( mourinho had them on 69 and 81 plus 2 trophies ) while also being trophyless , but yeah never let facts disturb the agenda that mourinho is finished dinosaur.

You should stop listening to the media and to united fans. the fanbase have this huge favoritism towards some of the players and they crucified mourinho because he dares to drop those player as if they understand football better than someone with 25 major trophies throughout his career. Now tell me what did they have won since he left ? What did they have won since Martial, Pogba and Rashford start playing regularly with freedom and smile on their face ? Nothing , so how can anyone said Mourinho was wrong to drop them ? Rashford didn't turn up when it matters, Pogba didn't turn up when it matters, Martial didn't turn up when it matters, they bottled all the 3 semifinal they got in last season. The media may paint Mourinho as some kind of finished dinosaur coach but trust me, the only one finished is Manchester United Football club , with their incompetent management and board who decide who to play based on popularity votes not Mourinho. Mourinho prefer players who gave 6-7 / 10 each game than players who drop 8-9 and then 2-4 the next game, it's about being consistent which is why he loved Matic and Fellaini back then which is also why Harry Winks played regularly too, because consistency is what a squad needed to win the league, those players who only good for 1-2 games does look nice on youtube compilation though. About game management yesterday against southampton, notice how Mourinho not only manage the style and pattern to play , he also manage his player stamina, he realized soton would have run out of their gas in second half after running around the pitch for the first 45 minutes and told kane to drop deeper to feed son through ball and rip them apart in second half. He is tactical genius who only focused at winning the game , and as long as the players buy into his idea , He will definitely delivers.

Spot on.

Not sure how wise this is from Jose. I get it he's joking but if my boss came out and did that live whilst I was accepting an award I'd be none too pleased.

Yeah, totally agree, his smile completely disappeared instantly. Maybe that’ll work on him, but son strikes me as someone who needs to build on the confidence not have it undermined. It will be interesting to see if it serves to further motivate or not. 🤷🤞

Last edited:
totally agree. His smile completely disappeared instantly. Maybe that’ll work on him, but son strikes me as someone who needs to build on the confidence not have it undermined.
It just looked so awkward after Jose came in with "his joke".

I get it, Jose is fooling around..... But you've got to still be careful...... The guy has just scored 4 brilliant goals, its his moment in the Sun.... And Jose comes in and brings Kane into the conversation.

After which Son just looks like a little embarrassed.

Anyone still think Mourinho should be our manager after this shitshow of a first half? All we've got is shit balls in space to players in offside. 0 shots, 0 touches in opponents box. Fucking horrible football.

That some people can actually support this fucking clueless dinosaur baffles me.
It baffles me that anyone over the age of five thinks a game is won or lost at half time

Not sure the Son incident at the end is so bad. Telling Son that the person doing assists deserves MOTM award, rather than the goal scorer emphasises how much he values the creator. This is normally Son, so should be a way of demonstrating his importance. I hope (if the rumours are true) that if Mourinho is learning Korean then Son understands how important he is

Not sure how wise this is from Jose. I get it he's joking but if my boss came out and did that live whilst I was accepting an award I'd be none too pleased.

I thought it might come across better if Jose were to ask the interviewer for a 2nd one for Kane as he's equally deserving. Then again, he's the boss and I'm sure knows his players and what he's doing :mourbringit:

Back
Top Bottom