Leyton Orient v Tottenham Hotspur - League Cup 3rd Round - Postponed - Spurs receive a bye

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't see how the FL will allow it to be postponed. They'd have to then move the Chelsea tie back, and with the Champions League and Europa League group stages due to start I can't see where it fits in.

Fair enough. But wouldn’t they have been training this morning anyway?
Depends what the training focus was on. Mourinho may have switched it to focus on our Europa League opponents and had the 18 men involved training, whilst the others were doing other tactical work.

Football training has evolved so much.

Orient chairman Travis joined talkSPORT shortly after 10am to discuss the positive coronavirus cases and the upcoming Spurs match – announcing it should shortly be called off.

“I think it’s highly unlikely,” replied Travis when asked if the match will go ahead. “We heard just before we came on air that we’re expected to get a communication from authorities any time now, that that game will be off.

“We haven’t formally had that. We’re expecting it and have heard it’s coming, but we haven’t seen it.

“And just to be clear, the game is a postponement, not a cancellation.”

They knew they were going to make circa 100k. Why did they not pay for the testing before their sat league game to ensure it would go ahead.
Got to be a bye for us. If they postpone the game it sets a precedent for any other games which may be affected. Will be lucky if this doesn’t happen again.

They knew they were going to make circa 100k. Why did they not pay for the testing before their sat league game to ensure it would go ahead.
Got to be a bye for us. If they postpone the game it sets a precedent for any other games which may be affected. Will be lucky if this doesn’t happen again.
We paid for their testing.

Well here's a plausible hypothesis doing the rounds, the ultra sensitive tests that are available for rich EPL clubs like Spurs are not standard in the EFL.

Standard testing will likely be RT-PCR or LAMP both tests that look for RNA viruses in samples. Pretty old school but effective it's what nearly all laboratories will be using ... it will only detect patients with viruses collected in the area tested (nose, mouth) so not 100% accurate.

but, and here's what may have happened:

If you have the cash you can also conduct Lateral Flow and ELISA tests, these don't detect Covid virus directly but instead detect the antigens or antibodies in the blood, these will give positive results for players with very low level Covid and for players who have already recovered from Covid.

I'm told Spurs had our medical team do the full spectrum of tests on the Orient players and staff which showed that Covid had already swept through the Orient squad and that many of them were now asymptomatic.

There is a view that memory T Cell immunity is prevalent in far more than the 10% suggested by the UK Government, memory T cells could also explain the ridiculously low incidents of Covid in SE Asia ...

The use of ELISA testing would massively improve our knowledge as it can be done in 1-3 hours and can test multiple patient samples at once. The Government needs to make this happen, and not just for football players.
The development of a reliable ELISA is a long drawn out process though. I've been through it. Not going to be easy to do something like that, but it's feasible. I'm sure people are working on it.

Shits now hitting the fan - PHE won't make a decision, they want the clubs to decide - obviously neither club wants to forfeit so both are sitting on their hands. Another example of where the UK authorities simply refuse to take responsibility, useless the feckin' lot of 'em.

Back
Top Bottom