Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not going to demand Jose's head if we miss out on top 4 and a trophy, time is needed for the squad to gel and squad rebuilding needs to continue.
Million dollar question then. When should we expect to see a positive return on recent and potential (this window) investments and how generous do you see the profits being ?. At what point do we shout 'Time Gentlemen please ! ' and start yet again ?.

Ok what I've worked out is that ENIC didn't give Poch all the tools.

Yes but you’re also the person that thinks if we are winning the CL final 1-0 in the 93rd minute, and Aurier for no reason does two handballs in the area and we lose 2-1, it’s Levys fault for hiring Poch, who bought Aurier.

Lloris, Doherty, Alderweireld, Skriniar, Regulion, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Son, Bale, Kane

Hart, Aurier, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Lucas, Bergwijn, Milik

Squad depth added with Cirkin, Tanganga, Lamela etc and that as a 25 man squad looks excellent. In all honesty, if we go into the season looking like this, where are we thinking the lads could end up come May/ June 2021?

Top 6 with hopefully a decent run at a trophy in one or two competitions.

I know people will, and already have gone crazy with how high they think we can be, but still way too many issues with the squad and manager to think we will finish top 4.

It really would be shit or bust for Daniel/Jose though wouldn't it ?. For that squad to end the season empty handed would surely demand heads rolled or do we look for an absolute minimum of top four finish this term and one hell of a 21/22 season ?
Not Levy. For once there could be no complaints in not backing a manager, thats pretty much a new squad in 13 months. Pressure all on Jose, has to get top 4 with that squad.

It really would be shit or bust for Daniel/Jose though wouldn't it ?. For that squad to end the season empty handed would surely demand heads rolled or do we look for an absolute minimum of top four finish this term and one hell of a 21/22 season ?

But what heads?

Levy isn't firing himself and seems to love Jose/owes him a ton of money.

Maybe Jose would be sacked but my guess is it will be spun as needing more time for the team to gel because of how many new guys were brought in and the weird "summer" made it hard for Jose to do everything he needed to do.

Million dollar question then. When should we expect to see a positive return on recent and potential (this window) investments and how generous do you see the profits being ?. At what point do we shout 'Time Gentlemen please ! ' and start yet again ?.
I think a lot of people expected to see a positive return straight away I can't blame them for that but there is no point building a side in his image if we're going to sack him at the end of the season.

Yes but you’re also the person that thinks if we are winning the CL final 1-0 in the 93rd minute, and Aurier for no reason does two handballs in the area and we lose 2-1, it’s Levys fault for hiring Poch, who bought Aurier.
I'm the guy who thinks ENIC is in part responsible for results on the pitch, good or bad, if you don't think so then I can't give them credit for league performances or the league cup win.

He is the one that comes to mind. I think he has shown enough that it would be worth it to take him on as a back-up and develop him behind Doherty.

Worse case scenario is that with him being HG and already played in the PL we could get what we paid for him in a few years if we don't think he is at our level.
Yeah, wasn't questioning your call. Just wanted to know who you were talking about. The points you make are solid but they would suggest that we plan our transfer and squad building work. And if this wholly opportunistic TW shows us anything it is that there is no plan from a sporting perspective.

But what heads?

Levy isn't firing himself and seems to love Jose/owes him a ton of money.

Maybe Jose would be sacked but my guess is it will be spun as needing more time for the team to gel because of how many new guys were brought in and the weird "summer" made it hard for Jose to do everything he needed to do.

A season (or two) without any real success would surely negatively affect the Levy/Mourinho working relationship and, as you say, that could only end one way. The players would become unsettled with no doubt some of them being publicly held responsible for not trying. It's happening now so no reason to believe it will stop in the future should things turn sour.

Bale,Kane, Son, LoCelso, Reguilon etc etc will all have mentally signed up for this dream trip to glory and if it doesn't arrive on time then the squad must begin to dismantle.
We haven't bought 'potential' this time. We are spending and hoping for almost instant reward in the trophy market from our new recruits. Time is no longer a commodity the management will have on their side.
Levy hired Jose for results, not to hear about 'visions' and 'in time'.
The buck and the clock stops here.

Lloris, Doherty, Alderweireld, Skriniar, Regulion, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Son, Bale, Kane

Hart, Aurier, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Lucas, Bergwijn, Milik

Squad depth added with Cirkin, Tanganga, Lamela etc and that as a 25 man squad looks excellent. In all honesty, if we go into the season looking like this, where are we thinking the lads could end up come May/ June 2021?

I start to think that it's realistic to expect a top 4 finish, but let's see what the squad will be at the end of the transfer window

When you consider Utd paid 80mill for Maguire, to be able to buy Skriniar, no matter what anyone thinks of his weaknesses, for around 35 mill is a decent deal tbf

This is bit like saying "I need a car fore the motorway but I bought a tractor because I got 50% off, great deal eh"?

Are you not a smidgeon concerned why the deal might seem so good? Why don't Inter, a team managed by a pretty pragmatic manager, in a pretty pragmatic style in a pretty pragmatic league, slower than than PL, is so desperate to get shot of this guy?

I am not professing to be an expert on Skriniar, I've watched him a couple of times but wasn't paying great attention to him, I am to some extent relying on the opinion of others.

This smacks to me a bit like some of our other recruitment - Hojberg, Doherty for example - where there might be some tiny incremental gain on what is pretty at present pretty bad, but nowhere near the quantitive upgrade we need to really evolve again.

We have a couple of defenders a bit like Skriniar now, why not "overspend" 35m on something different, with qualities we lack, even if it has slightly different flaws (hopefully ones we can develop out) than underspend on what we have already.

Same money, different outcome.....

I'm not going to demand Jose's head if we miss out on top 4 and a trophy, time is needed for the squad to gel and squad rebuilding needs to continue.
I am. He's paid 15M for immediate success and this transfer window is a reloading that supports the immediate success call. I said I wouldn't a couple weeks ago but that was before any of these transfers...and even before the Everton game burned that very point into everyone and their father's brain that the squad was NOT good enough, the players were not good enough and Mou couldn't be held to account for that. These transfers change all of that. These aren't young kids either so Top 4 and a trophy are a minimum.

This is bit like saying "I need a car fore the motorway but I bought a tractor because I got 50% off, great deal eh"?

Are you not a smidgeon concerned why the deal might seem so good? Why don't Inter, a team managed by a pretty pragmatic manager, in a pretty pragmatic style in a pretty pragmatic league, slower than than PL, is so desperate to get shot of this guy?

I am not professing to be an expert on Skriniar, I've watched him a couple of times but wasn't paying great attention to him, I am to some extent relying on the opinion of others.

This smacks to me a bit like some of our other recruitment - Hojberg, Doherty for example - where there might be some tiny incremental gain on what is pretty at present pretty bad, but nowhere near the quantitive upgrade we need to really evolve again.

We have a couple of defenders a bit like Skriniar now, why not "overspend" 35m on something different, with qualities we lack, even if it has slightly different flaws (hopefully ones we can develop out) than underspend on what we have already.

Same money, different outcome.....
Do you think Doherty is better than KWP? And this is not a trick question, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom