Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am. He's paid 15M for immediate success and this transfer window is a reloading that supports the immediate success call. I said I wouldn't a couple weeks ago but that was before any of these transfers...and even before the Everton game burned that very point into everyone and their father's brain that the squad was NOT good enough, the players were not good enough and Mou couldn't be held to account for that. These transfers change all of that. These aren't young kids either so Top 4 and a trophy are a minimum.
You don't think we need a striker and CB to add to what we already have, to do that?

I'm not going to demand Jose's head if we miss out on top 4 and a trophy, time is needed for the squad to gel and squad rebuilding needs to continue.
As I said earlier, let's see what the squad will look like at the end of the TW.
You can win or lose cups, the margin is fine (I got the feeling that we will win some cup), but the end position in the League is the best reflection of how a club is doing (at least in England). By the way it starts looking, if will miss the top 4 , I think it would be an "OK" season, it will depend on what will happen (injuries, how quickly the players will fit, etc)

This is bit like saying "I need a car fore the motorway but I bought a tractor because I got 50% off, great deal eh"?

Are you not a smidgeon concerned why the deal might seem so good? Why don't Inter, a team managed by a pretty pragmatic manager, in a pretty pragmatic style in a pretty pragmatic league, slower than than PL, is so desperate to get shot of this guy?

I am not professing to be an expert on Skriniar, I've watched him a couple of times but wasn't paying great attention to him, I am to some extent relying on the opinion of others.

This smacks to me a bit like some of our other recruitment - Hojberg, Doherty for example - where there might be some tiny incremental gain on what is pretty at present pretty bad, but nowhere near the quantitive upgrade we need to really evolve again.

We have a couple of defenders a bit like Skriniar now, why not "overspend" 35m on something different, with qualities we lack, even if it has slightly different flaws (hopefully ones we can develop out) than underspend on what we have already.

Same money, different outcome.....

That is a little harsh on Skriniar. I think he is much more than an incremental gain on what we have and at least he is 25 so still has at least 5 years likely at a starting level in the PL. I think unlike PEH and Doherty he could easily be a starter on a top level team. But you are right he is a bit similar to the type of player we already have although he does not have the flaws, or at least to same to degree as the players we currently have.

I think it would be great to bring in someone who does offer something different from our current players but don't see anyone who is realistic and able to play now. I guess we could take a chance on someone that has not shown to be ready and hope that by throwing them into the deep end they will be able to handle it.

With the players that are available and needs we have I would say it makes more sense to bring in Skriniar and a younger player that fills those needs and can be given time to develop into a starter for us. But as mentioned earlier that takes foresight, planning and honestly assessing your team and this group has shown zero willingness or ability to do any of those things.

Lloris, Doherty, Alderweireld, Skriniar, Regulion, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Son, Bale, Kane

Hart, Aurier, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Lucas, Bergwijn, Milik

Squad depth added with Cirkin, Tanganga, Lamela etc and that as a 25 man squad looks excellent. In all honesty, if we go into the season looking like this, where are we thinking the lads could end up come May/ June 2021?
Where do you think that 2nd team would finish, I think it would have a fighting chance to get into the top 6, certainly a top 10 finish

Do you think Doherty is better than KWP? And this is not a trick question, by the way.

I think he's probably stronger defensively but offensively I don't think he's a better footballer than KWP. It's pretty fucking moot at best.

And I have been pretty clear in saying that a do not think he's an upgrade on Aurier in any demonstrably discernible way.

At nearly 29yo, for a player who will now have to adapt to a back 4 from a back 5/3. I think this, like every deal we've done this summer, with the exception maybe of Reguilon who I don't dislike (but who you and I both could think of LB's who we could have got for a 3rd of that) seems like really unimaginative recruitment.

What about you ?

I think he's probably stronger defensively but offensively I don't think he's a better footballer than KWP. It's pretty fucking moot at best.

And I have been pretty clear in saying that a do not think he's an upgrade on Aurier in any demonstrably discernible way.

At nearly 29yo, for a player who will now have to adapt to a back 4 from a back 5/3. I think this, like every deal we've done this summer, with the exception maybe of Reguilon who I don't dislike (but who you and I both could think of LB's who we could have got for a 3rd of that) seems like really unimaginative recruitment.

What about you ?
I am not sure Doherty is better than KWP, to be perfectly honest with you. And I am not convinced he is better than Aurier.

Where do you think that 2nd team would finish, I think it would have a fighting chance to get into the top 6, certainly a top 10 finish

That 2nd team would be fighting to stay out of relegation.

Zero ability to create or score goals and a weak defense with a terrible goalie. I really can't see how they do anything other than park the bus every game and pray.

What about you ?

I am not sure Doherty is better than KWP, to be perfectly honest with you. And I am not convinced he is better than Aurier.

I really don't see how anyone could hold this view.

I am not a huge Doherty fan but he is clearly better than KWP.

Even if you tried to argue that skillwise they are simliar, which I think is a stretch, the fact that Doherty isn't afraid to get involved in the game, is so much smarter at understanding his role and playing to his strengths versus KWP who spends so much time standing out the outside, scared to get involved and happy to just jog back and forth, I would say that tips the scales much more in Doherty's favor.

Doherty has a lot of issues, much like KWP, but at least he impacts the game in the way he can. KWP plays the game as though he hopes the ball stays on the other side of the pitch and certainly does almost nothing to try and make an impact on the game.

They say there's one born every minute.

SC:

SC Supporter

"£50 in the pot as promised for the madrid boys signing. Thanks all for a great site (full of absolute weirdos)"!

What was that Dire Straits song, money for nothing?

Back
Top Bottom