Tottenham Vs Newcastle - Sunday 27th Sept, 2pm KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I could not believe that Newcastle were so passive, brainless, unambitious and were clearly after a point.

I couldn’t either. I mean Newcastle had picked up all 3 points on 4 of their last 5 visits to White Hart Lane. Real cowardice on their part today to just turn up and play for and get a point.

Goal line tech was a good idea, though against the ideology of consistency at all levels of the game.

In theory VAR is a good idea, provided it’s literally used for clear and obvious decisions that can be decided in ten seconds.

The current implementation of the new rules and tech has quite simply ruined the sport.

The middle part is I think what they need to consider.

VAR should be used to correct obvious mistakes. They should watch the play in real time and maybe 2-3 times max and make the call.

This ridiculous practice of breaking things down frame by frame looking to see if their is a hair over the line or if the ball slightly brushes against an arm that can only be seen when the video is reduced to milliseconds is ridiculous.

Can't disguise that the second half was poor, it was going to be difficult for Newcastle to be any worse than they were before the break though.

That first half was some of the best football we've seen for a long, long time - as per, a Newcastle keeper turned up at our place and decided to have a decent 45 minutes, no doubt he'll have a shocker next week.

I'm gutted for Son, I really hope Mourinho is over-playing things a bit and it's not too serious.

I don't know if it's just me getting older or more bitter in general, but I'm starting to care less and less about football these days - I used to love sitting down to watch MoTD but I just cannot be arsed anymore.

It's not just because we lost either; every weekend it's VAR this, VAR that - the general level of punditry/ analysis of the game has gone to shit as well.

I honestly don't know if/ when my "love" for football will ever come back.

You know something ..... I was out of line. Just really pissed with the events today

it’s a great name

your opinions are welcome and valid

I apologise for being a dick

Hey, I appreciate your comment and I get it. Frustrating day at the office.

We are all here for a similar reason and although we differ in opinions, all are welcome to voice them.

Heads up guys! COYS!

The middle part is I think what they need to consider.

VAR should be used to correct obvious mistakes. They should watch the play in real time and maybe 2-3 times max and make the call.

This ridiculous practice of breaking things down frame by frame looking to see if their is a hair over the line or if the ball slightly brushes against an arm that can only be seen when the video is reduced to milliseconds is ridiculous.

Yep that’s the biggest problem.

If someone is 5 yards offside and the officials have missed it, that’s something nobody can reasonably complain about. Anything more complex becomes subjective, and therefore prone to human error.

The handball rule is a different kettle of fish.

Football is so farcical now I find it hard to even be angry, the table is going to mean nothing come the end of the season, results aren't based on much more than who gets the rub of the VAR lottery.

If it was at least consistent in it's absurdity then OK, but it's completely at the whim of some faceless chode sat in a box somewhere, with no common sense applied at all. How can the guy not be allowed to overrule the ridiculous free kick, or a wrongly awarded throw in like against Liverpool last season, and yet can go to such great lengths to find the most biased still of the ball rubbing Dier's arm whilst he's looking the other way and landing from a jump?

We needed to win that game well before the pen. Travesty though it was we should beating them all day long. The first half was great and we missed some great chances. Goalie most made saves you’d expect him to make. 2nd was more worry especially first 25 mins where really don’t do a great deal. Not to be overly critical that is now 5 points dropped at home. The reason we bought in Maureen was to exactly beat these teams and we haven’t done so. We need pull some results out in the next 3 games otherwise season could be over. May be tough but if we had win today we would have been setup nicely for the next 3 games. Utd game is now crucial not to loose. Other ties 4 points from 12 is not looking good. I don’t want hear about the number of games and so on. We must meet the challenge head on and go for it. Unfortunately our track record in the cups under Maureen has been abysmal. We struggled in the first two qualifiers as well when should have coasted them both! He needs to step up otherwise the bale and regulon signings would have been pointless as well as anyone else we bring in and we will have spent a fortune. Money we don’t have. Today’s game was prime example of why got Maureen to instil some winning mentality but the players haven’t shown it albeit we played decent. The 2nd I was screaming for us to up the tempo and fir the players to press higher. They should have spirit and mentality to say these toon dickers arnt gonna get any points off this season after previous results. Unfortunately they couldn’t. Need to man up and step the management and players. Shameful we couldn’t put to the sword them today again!

I respect your opinion but for me too often we have been wasteful in front of goal. Luck certainly plays a part both good and bad but if Kane and Son have an off day the rest of our attacking players can’t really be relied upon to chip in

Seemingly you missed the fact that Lucas scored today......

1 goal in the first half, none in the second.

Lets drop this xG pish. It means absolutely nothing.

That's the point....

We created a lot more chances in the first half. Hence why we scored (and should have scored more).

Whereas we barely created anywhere near as many chances and ultimately it cost us (Though it was more VAR and the decision to award the penalty that cost us).

Why we failed to create more chances is another discussion completely - because Newcastle were anything but more defensive.

That's the point....

We created a lot more chances in the first half. Hence why we scored (and should have scored more).

Whereas we barely created anywhere near as many chances and ultimately it cost us (Though it was more VAR and the decision to award the penalty that cost us).

Why we failed to create more chances is another discussion completely - because Newcastle were anything but more defensive.
Newcastloe basically gave us the first half, I honestly don't know what Bruce was thinking, but it was akin to the home games against Palace and Burnley last season where they simply froze and just let us do as we wanted. Difference is we took some chances, today we wasted a hell of a lot.

IMHO, lets not waste time looking for stats and algorithms, lets look and ask, Newcastle sat back and let us do as we want and somehow we managed one goal. How the fuck did we not take more of an advantage, especially when for 10 minutes or so, their best defender was moving like a fucking dalek.

Back
Top Bottom