Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tenor.gif

If he goes to Celtic at least he will play, no guarantee he will at the other places, especially if Spurs think that his future is as a LB. I think what is most important is that they decide what his position is and getting him playing as much as possible at that role.

The idea that he is so talented he can fill in at LB or LWB or LW seems to be resulting in him not being good at any of those spots.

Ive been wondering whether him going to Porto would be good for his development? Absolutely no links but given they look to be selling Alex Telles to Utd,you would think there’s a spot opening up. Presumably Jose still has connections there.
Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb Nacionalpt Nacionalpt and our other Portuguese league experts, would that be a good loan?

Portuguese news channel, say its non mandatory buying clause. they will receive 3M now. and thats it.

Ok. That sounds...suspiciously good.

One thing that the media love trying to hide is that players fucking love Jose. All the suspiciously cheap players that we got in...especially if NewVinnie comes for a loan with option...seem too good to be true.

Bale 9M loan
Doc 15M
PEH 3M
Reguilon 27M
Hart 0
Vinnie 3M loan

I wonder how much is Levy and Hitchen driving hard bargains and how much is Jose sending a whatsapp message to a mate/agent/player from the next cubicle down from Dier.

If money was the main motivator then shirley they would all follow Spurs legend Paulinho to China to get a decent payday.

The Benfica club president confirmed that Manure offered 54M to take him only a couple months ago. My spidey senses are telling me that either Spurs are throwing around big bonus payments (unlikely to compete with Manure) or that Jose is simply a bigger pull for players than Frodo.

Ive been wondering whether him going to Porto would be good for his development? Absolutely no links but given they look to be selling Alex Telles to Utd,you would think there’s a spot opening up. Presumably Jose still has connections there.
Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb Nacionalpt Nacionalpt and our other Portuguese league experts, would that be a good loan?
Porto needs cash all the time mate. No loans. Buying young and selling for profit.

I understand the basics of how bonds work, really wanted to understand why we would choose this mechanism when with the prospective revenues we were looking at. The numbers from the article I quoted seemed very manageable, and would mean we’d have the debt off our back in 20+ years. I get the inflation effect, but we are still going to pay what (depending on term of various bonds) 200-300 mil in interest and then be left with an inflation devalued 650m In 15-20 years time.

It's a balancing act - if you assume money devalues at 2% a year so 100m 30 years on is now worth 40m today then an interest rate of 2.6% nets out at about 0.6% .... after that it becomes a business risk.

So to take Spurs we invest 1,000m on a new stadium, to do that we spend 350m cash and borrow 650m (I'm rounding for simplicity) that borrowing via bond costs us 650m + 500m (again rounding) 1,150 + our 350m cash so the stadium over 30 years will have construction costs including interest of 1,500m.

There are of course a multitude of other factors involved, running costs, staffing increases, etc. etc. but if you just go on a straight 30 year life of the stadium that will be 1,500m and an end value of zero as it gets knocked down and replaced.

So the question for a business is will that 1,500m generate enough increased profit over 30 years (and again it's by no means a flat line projection) but in simple terms Spurs would need the stadium to make an extra 50m in profit to pay for its cost.

Paying off the principle on the loan only makes sense if that money is making you less than it costs in this case 2.66% a year, if we can't make that sort of margin we'd be pretty shit. The Fed estimates that corporate leveraging is averaging about 40% .... if we're worth 1.6 billion (Forbes) our leveraging is almost exactly 40%.

Last thing as this is all in the wrong thread - the 175m short term loan was taken out on a 1 + 1 year basis at 0.5% interest, it was protection against possible non payment of TV revenues. TV revenues have been paid in full this year so that money will almost certainly be returned at the end of one year. In case you were wondering we haven't spent any of it.

Last edited:

I don't know enough about the Portuguese League so would need to rely on those that know it more but I think the league is the right level for him to be able to get experience and a challenge.

My concern would be that Porto seems to be a fairly competitive team in the league so are they going to be willing to live with the ups and downs that may come with Sessegnon playing FB. If he goes there and they replace him with someone with more experience so they can win in the short term then it does us no good.

Ok. That sounds...suspiciously good.

One thing that the media love trying to hide is that players fucking love Jose. All the suspiciously cheap players that we got in...especially if NewVinnie comes for a loan with option...seem too good to be true.

Bale 9M loan
Doc 15M
PEH 3M
Reguilon 27M
Hart 0
Vinnie 3M loan

I wonder how much is Levy and Hitchen driving hard bargains and how much is Jose sending a whatsapp message to a mate/agent/player from the next cubicle down from Dier.

If money was the main motivator then shirley they would all follow Spurs legend Paulinho to China to get a decent payday.

The Benfica club president confirmed that Manure offered 54M to take him only a couple months ago. My spidey senses are telling me that either Spurs are throwing around big bonus payments (unlikely to compete with Manure) or that Jose is simply a bigger pull for players than Frodo.

I think it is 100% due to them losing out way earlier than they thought in the CL.

I am not sure that Benfica is a rich enough club to be able to miss out on the money they likely thought they were getting.

Add to that the fact they brought in two new FW's in the summer and I think a lot of things changed with that CL loss. I am no Portuguese experts and perhaps they will disagree with me here but I doubt we get this deal before the CL loss or if they had won that CL game.

I am also not sure which one of those guys you listed is suspiciously cheap. They all seem to cost what you would expect.

I will counter that with... Do you honestly believe that fucking LEVY would sanction these transfers if the club couldn't afford it.

We're not doing a Leeds.

Sit back, relax, and let the good times roll.

:nawty:
I'm not worried about doing a Leeds, as I've repeatedly said I trust Levy when it comes to finance, I'm just wondering that's all. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom