Project Big Picture

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You obviously don’t know your football history. I think you’ll find Sheffield United have spent the majority of their history in the top flight and are in the top 18 of clubs to have played in the top league. Shit recent history granted, but there’s clubs in the current Premier League who warrant being called Championship clubs before United.

United’s gates also put them firmly in the top division and are only limited by current ground capacity, with plans to significantly increase that in the pipeline.

Good to see the vast majority of Spurs fans against this plan btw. It stinks and will ruin the game. if I were a Liverpool or Manchester fan I would be ashamed my club were pushing this forward. A hundred and odd years of English football history flushed down the toilet if they have their way.

Don't let it happen. Don’t let your club have its proud name besmirched by this.

Tell them where to go with their shitty plans to further their own ends and stand up for the greater good of the game.

if your club backs this there’s no coming back. Short term gain but long term pain, forever remembered as a club that helped put the final nail in English football.

Let you, us and the rest of the Premier League give the money to save the lower league clubs without the self serving strings attached and tell Rick Parry to go and...do one.

I actually tried to mean the two weakest sides and used Sheffield United and Fulham's names because so far this season, they've looked clueless.

My point was like Norwich last season and Huddersfield before that and Villa a few seasons earlier, in every season there are one or two clubs that are just making up the numbers. They're not adding anything competitively. Making the league smaller by removing two worst-performing clubs will ease fixture congestion and benefit all the remaining clubs and make the league even more competitive and enjoyable.

If Sheffield United are good enough, then they'll stay in that 18-club league. If you're not, then you'll go down. It doesn't have to happen overnight. Relegate 3 clubs, promote 2 for two consecutive seasons. I'm not saying remove two clubs randomly or two clubs that have lowest gate income or attendance. I'm just saying remove the two worst performing sides. This isn't such a radical idea either. PL went from being a 22-club league to 20-club league in the space of a single season.

There's just too many fixtures to fit the football calendar. If the proposal to scrap the League Cup and make the PL smaller came isolated, I think they'd have been welcomed. But because they came along with a lot of other financially incentivised proposals and the attempted power grab (which I don't support either), they're going to be thoroughly condemned by most people. Even the people that have been ranting about scrapping the League Cup for years won't support this project.

Happens I give up on football simple, not interested in watching a league that all comes down to money games dying as it is will just be the final nail in the coffin this.

Wouldn't surprise me to see someone start a alternate type of football league if this is ever passed either

But thankfully I don't think it ever will be

Would also be disgusted if we voted for this as a club
We would vote for it.

The PL is currently 20 teams, of which nine would benefit from this. It won't get voted through.

In my opinion, they are striving towards a European 'Super League'.

In the short term want to reduce the burden on the 'big clubs' by reducing their fixtures (less teams, less games) and offering guaranteed European spots to the 'big teams'.

In the long term, the EPL will simply become a feeder to the European super league; where we will have the big clubs playing 30 games a season max - all in front of PPV TV audiences and stadiums packed with corporate guests (ala world cup final)

In my opinion, they are striving towards a European 'Super League'.

In the short term want to reduce the burden on the 'big clubs' by reducing their fixtures (less teams, less games) and offering guaranteed European spots to the 'big teams'.

In the long term, the EPL will simply become a feeder to the European super league; where we will have the big clubs playing 30 games a season max - all in front of PPV TV audiences and stadiums packed with corporate guests (ala world cup final)
Sure, we could join them in forming a super league and regularly get tonked by Real Madrid and Juventus. But! At as a counter offer, the Hawtornes.

Seriously tho, if a Super League is formed I hope spurs opts to stay in England/the PL as a big dog in that league and take part in the EL instead as I assume the CL will be transformed into the Super League.

I actually tried to mean the two weakest sides and used Sheffield United and Fulham's names because so far this season, they've looked clueless.

My point was like Norwich last season and Huddersfield before that and Villa a few seasons earlier, in every season there are one or two clubs that are just making up the numbers. They're not adding anything competitively. Making the league smaller by removing two worst-performing clubs will ease fixture congestion and benefit all the remaining clubs and make the league even more competitive and enjoyable.

If Sheffield United are good enough, then they'll stay in that 18-club league. If you're not, then you'll go down. It doesn't have to happen overnight. Relegate 3 clubs, promote 2 for two consecutive seasons. I'm not saying remove two clubs randomly or two clubs that have lowest gate income or attendance. I'm just saying remove the two worst performing sides. This isn't such a radical idea either. PL went from being a 22-club league to 20-club league in the space of a single season.

There's just too many fixtures to fit the football calendar. If the proposal to scrap the League Cup and make the PL smaller came isolated, I think they'd have been welcomed. But because they came along with a lot of other financially incentivised proposals and the attempted power grab (which I don't support either), they're going to be thoroughly condemned by most people. Even the people that have been ranting about scrapping the League Cup for years won't support this project.
There's just too many fixtures to fit the football calendar.
That is not the case for everyone. If you are in Europe and go far in the domestic cups yes. However I still remember the year when martin Jol was in charge that we lost in the first round we entered in the Domestic cups and only played 40 matches. I read that they propose to start the season later to allow for more friendlies. No thank you, prefer competitive matches and by starting later it will not help the congestion later. By abolishing the league cup it effectively only leaves the F A Cup as winnerable for most teams.

If the aim is to make more money from TV rights, why dont they just do an Amazon or Netflix style Subscription where you can watch every live game for your chosen club for say £9.95 a month or a 1 off charge per game for £5, im sure a lot of people who currently use dodgy streams would be happy with £9.95 a month to watch all the spurs games?

I find the catch-all nature of some of the questions deeply suspicious (why do I have to accept £250 covid reparations and removing parachute payments as one thing?). Others are similarly strange couplings.

Seeing this as a land-grab by the American billionaires (Dippers and Manure owners, specifically). They've sprinkled some gold-dust on it, of course, but that £250m isn't going to last long and it's the Trojan horse for the enduring dynasty of the self-assured 'top six'.

Have a horrible feeling it'll happen whether we like it or not.

As always, here's Vox Populi Ian Holloway banging on their door with a shotgun:

Last edited:

I find the catch-all nature of some of the questions deeply suspicious (why do I have to accept £250 covid reparations and removing parachute payments as one thing?). Others are similarly strange couplings.

Seeing this as a land-grab by the American billionaires (Dippers and Manure owners, specifically). They've sprinkled some gold-dust on it, of course, but that £250m isn't going to last long and it's the Trojan horse for the enduring dynasty of the self-assured 'top six'.

Have a horrible feeling it'll happen whether we like it or not.

As always, here's Vox Populi Ian Holloway banging on their door with a shotgun:

I don't think this will get through, it seems universally unpopular. But something like this will become the norm in the next 20/25 years imho.

Back
Top Bottom