Burnley v Tottenham || Monday, 26 Oct @ 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gio's performance really shows the way forward in terms of game management for us. What we can't do when sitting on leads is give up the ball and concede the midfield. Part of what made our game management so good today was having Gio as an outlet to retain possession.

What drove me crazy about West Ham was we didn't even bother trying to keep hold of the ball and just bombed it long. We are much better at seeing matches out when we keep the ball and pass it around the opposition.

It won't always be Gio coming on, but his performance today is an example of how we should be seeing games out.

Gio should be starting.

I think people generally don't have the best grasp of interpreting statistics - not a dig at the masses, more the way the media presents them without interpretation.
Have you read any of my many posts about statistics, by any chance? That could've come verbatim from many of them. I repeatedly blame the media and pundits for things like xG misuse.

You can't provide powerful derived stats like that to fans without any context or instruction regarding their accurate use. Well, I guess you can, but you end up in a situation like we have now where some people use xG to make a point about who "should" have won a particular game. Fully understanding xG models requires university-level computational stats, which you just can't reasonably expect of people.

I didn't bitch. I made one post, in the first half!

What's wrong with you, you gooner loving plebiant oxygen thief.

Do you know what mate. I'm not letting some gooner waster spoil my mood.

Get on ignore you waste of life.

14751407.jpg

First moment I saw him I thought he looked like our former player Michael Brown (Just saw he was Man City's player of the year 1998, how rank must they have been back then!):

24103940-7949701-image-a-149_1580423637483.jpg

How is it not hyphenated? Coz, that's deffo his dad...

Have you read any of my many posts about statistics, by any chance? That could've come verbatim from many of them. I repeatedly blame the media and pundits for things like xG misuse.

You can't provide powerful derived stats like that to fans without any context or instruction regarding their accurate use. Well, I guess you can, but you end up in a situation like we have now where some people use xG to make a point about who "should" have won a particular game. Fully understanding xG models requires university-level computational stats, which you just can't reasonably expect of people.
The xG stats also don't take into account who the shots are taken by, correct? A shot from the edge of the box by Kane sure as hell shouldn't be the same probability as one from Winks.

Absolutely do not mind Bale getting snubbed today BTW. At 0-0 when struggling there could be an argument for rolling the dice and throwing him on but as soon as we were sitting on a one goal lead he'd have been a poor choice. If he's not fully fit he ain't gonna be too hot when trying to defend.

I think once Jose decided to put Lamela on it was over for Gareth tonight.

First moment I saw him I thought he looked like our former player Michael Brown (Just saw he was Man City's player of the year 1998, how rank must they have been back then!):

24103940-7949701-image-a-149_1580423637483.jpg

How is it not hyphenated? Coz, that's deffo his dad...

Brownhill: Euphemism for 'Pile Of Shite'. :)

The xG stats also don't take into account who the shots are taken by, correct? A shot from the edge of the box by Kane sure as hell shouldn't be the same probability as one from Winks.
Exactly. That is part of the reason that it's very difficult, and misguided, to use xG to argue the result of a particular match. As you say, three chances for Kane is not the same thing as the same three chances for Lacazette (as a closer comparison, but Winks works just as well).

If you assume that every team is somehow perfectly, equally average, then xG would give you something close to a realistic assessment of who should've won a match. As an interesting side-effect, it would also give you a mathematically optimal predictor of who did win. If you knew the xG of every match but not the results under the conditions of "average identical teams", you would be able to predict who won those matches with outstanding accuracy, bounded only by the accuracy of the particular xG model.

One good use of xG is to compare the "clinicalness" of strikers over a large sample of games. The ratio between the number of goals they actually score and their xG is a good approximation of how good they are at finishing. It's easily the best purely quantitative metric of finishing ability we have. Kane and Son absolutely devastate all of Europe in overperforming their xGs over many seasons, with Kane being particularly, incredibly consistent in doing so.

Playing him today would have been no more of a risk to the result than playing Moura who as well as his forward bumbling has a bad habit of giving clumsy free kicks away in dangerous positions like he did today.
It's a massive risk. Yes moura didn't quite work but I have a feeling if bale startshe isn't going to come off and it affects the game. He is not fully fit for a game like this

Back
Top Bottom