Tottenham Vs Brighton, Sunday 1st Nov - 7:15pm (Live on PPV).

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"I prefer to stay away [from VAR]. Probably the referee should go to the press conference and explain. He had time to go to the screen so only he can explain why it is a goal. He is a good ref and a good guy, only he can explain that decision. My view doesn't matter.

Quality bit of Jose-ism....

"It was a great reaction after they equalised, we hit the post twice, score and after that it was a question of managing the game well, like we didn’t against West Ham."

Nice one... Keep reminding the lads how much it hurt.

On Gareth Bale and an inspired substitution: "The players are the ones not me. I know for a couple of weeks that I am telling you that Gary [Bale] is improving.

According to some on Thursday "he wants the glory for himself when goes well and when it doesn't he passes the buck"

Yet:

THURS: "I take the blame"
TODAY: "The players are the ones not me."

We keep fighting

Yes we do Jose....

Fuck the haters and the melts.

COYS!!! :tobyarm:

Being totally philosophical about all this we have three points and have jumped to second place in the Premier league after a 2-1 Home win against Brighton.

Being completely realistic Harry won us a very nice penalty after realising Lallana was going into his back. Nothing wrong with that, all in the game and well done. Then we have complete meltdown and allow them to have all the possession they want until half time and we somehow scrape in still winning. Changes needed or at the least a good bollocking.

Then the incredible 'no foul' incident. The referee no more than two metres away allows a clear foul on Hojbjerg to go unpunished and they score from it. VAR referral and they see what everyone in the World saw except the ref. March never made contact with the ball and scythed PEH down. In an effort to avoid him any embarassment they allow him the opportunity of a monitor review. Big mistake. Instead of admitting his error the goal stands. On beIN sports you can see him say to Harry Kane afterwards "I think he got a little bit of the ball". Watching the incident on there clearly shows the ball did get contact but it was from PEH's foot just before the foul.

More struggling until yellow carded Ndombele is taken off and Lo Celso enters the fray. Still under the cosh Lamela is replaced by Bale for the last 20 mins. Three minutes later Alderweireld plays the pass of the night with a scathing ball to Reguilon on the wing. He cuts inside and lays on a perfect cross for Bale to head in number two.

Still under pressure though and Son (who for once had seemed almost invisible out there) was taken off for Ben Davies in an effort to shore up the defence. What followed next was desperate defending and time wasting in an effort to get over the line. Six minutes of extra time later, which was the direct result of the ref taking so long over the Brighton goal incident, the final whistle blew. It was ugly but mission accomplished.

Two incidents involving Kane and Son in which they both dived is not what I want to see. I remember the quotation from Jose about needing to be being intelligent cunts but he did not tell anyone to try those tactics. Need to cut that out of our play immediately.

So lots of work to be done but Gareth is off the mark at least. Let's hope it's the first of many.
:coys:

Last edited:
As “bad” as we played, we hit the post twice and they only scored from a clear and obvious foul. Impressive from us that we could’ve and should’ve come out of that winning 4-0.

Solid bloody outfit we’re becoming under Jose. Those 4 points we dropped are giving me nightmares. Onward.

This is something I don't understand. What determines whether VAR makes the ruling directly and when the referee has to be called over to the monitors?

You'd have thought that particular call would have fallen under the "clear and obvious" rule. i.e. VAR is at liberty to override the ref if the ref has missed/made a Clear & Obv. error.....

That shit was obvious.

"Go to the monitor" was a tweak added this summer to appease all the criticism from last season regarding inconsistency..... How it addresses that in the slightest I am entirely at a loss.

Whether we are just witnessing incompetence or genuine corruption I'd still lean towards the former, but it's SO open to abuse regardless.

Well done, spurs. Congrats. If I was Mou I would play 4-4-2 with Kane and Bale together upfront without defensive wasting, always fresh to shoot and kill. They are the best pair of forwards in the world and need to be close to the goal, Gareth is too old to play on the wing far from it. He is a wonderful 9 for his age. If Mou plays them there close to each other to combine and used 8 strong midfielders and defenders who keep the goal at 0 against, the Premier cup has a name already written on it.

Last edited:
I have heard some shit on here but that is right up there with the biggest load of bollox I have heard , unless it was sarcastic?
Why ? A bit of coaching along his philosophy wouldn’t hurt

he’s coached a side probably less the value of Harry’s left peg to play the kind of football that is the credo of THFC

watching our centre backs hoof it and watching it slide of Sons head or Harry desperately trying to hustle a free kick was dog awful

we’ve actually got some great ballers in our squad and this is what we’re serving up.
There’s plenty of reasons I agree why this potter shouldn’t manage spurs ..... but his style of play isn’t one

we won. I’m happy. But scraping through at WHL against Brighton with a team full of Kane Bale Son Ndombele LoCelso PEH did fuck all for me

Being totally philosophical about all this we have three points and have jumped to second place in the Premier league after a 2-1 Home win against Brighton.

Being completely realistic Harry won us a very nice penalty after realising Lallana was going into his back. Nothing wrong with that, all in the game and well done. Then we have complete meltdown and allow them to have all the possession they want until half time and we somehow scrape in still winning. Changes needed or at the least a good bollocking.

Then the incredible 'no foul' incident. The referee no more than two metres away allows a clear foul on Hojbjerg to go unpunished and they score from it. VAR referral and they see what everyone in the World saw except the ref. March never made contact with the ball and scythed PEH down. In an effort to avoid him any embarassment they allow him the opportunity of a monitor review. Big mistake. Instead of admitting his error the goal stands. On beIN sports you can see him say to Harry Kane afterwards "I think he got a little bit of the ball". Watching the incident on there clearly shows the ball did get contact but it was from PEH's foot just before the foul.

More struggling until yellow carded Ndombele is taken off and Lo Celso enters the fray. Still under the cosh Lamela is replaced by Bale for the last 20 mins. Three minutes later Alderweireld plays the pass of the night with a scathing ball to Reguilon on the wing. He cuts inside and lays on a perfect cross for Bale to head in number two.

Still under pressure though and Son (who for once had seemed almost invisible out there) was taken off for Ben Davies in an effort to shore up the defence. What followed next was desperate defending and time wasting in an effort to get over the line. Six minutes of extra time later, which was the direct result of the ref taking so long over the Brighton goal incident, the final whistle blew. It was ugly but mission accomplished.

Two incidents involving Kane and Son in which they both dived is not what I want to see. I remember the quotation from Jose about needing to be being nasty cunts but he did not tell anyone to try those tactics. Need to cut that out of our play immediately.

So lots of work to be done but Gareth is off the mark at least. Let's hope it's the first of many.
:coys:
Mostly agree with that.
The José quote was ‘intelligent cunts’ and to be fair, we managed the game very well after scoring. I’m happy that they did and finally got a win at home. Ends /means and all that.

They will have to address the dropping off (in tempo, possession and territory) after scoring because hanging on from the first half isn’t a good look or indeed, sensible. I’d love to know what if anything was said after going 1-0 up.

PEH - MoM for me. Thought Dier & Toby were comfortable too. Mention for Sissoko too - I usually give him stick, so credit where it’s due for his work rate tonight (won’t mention his touch, passing etc!).

Doherty is a concern. N’Dombele and Son faded.

I thought Lampety was excellent. Big future. Brighton were neat and tidy but impotent up front.

For now I’ll savour 2nd in the league but will expect more next week. Stay focussed, one game at a time, cliche blah cliche. Let the media keep on hating etc...

Oh and VAR and this particular ref was wank

COYS

Back
Top Bottom