Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I suspect a lot of the fans that think Mourinho plays boring football, get that opinion from watching their team get beat by Mourinho. They're ignoring just how good his Chelsea, RM and Inter teams actually were. How many goals they scored, how many games they won, how many points they got, how many trophies they won.

I'm actually looking forward to the game against Liverpool as I think Klopp and Pep are both far more 1 dimensional than Mourinho when all squads are their own.
Mourino will adapt to the opposition and set up differently to get the result. He'll also make early changes if it's not working and learn from those mistakes for the next game.
Klopp and Pep are bullishly "this is how we play" and City are starting to see the negative side to that.
Liverpool have already had a twatting this season by a team that sussed them out and adapted to their formation.
In retrospect, it was definitely an opinion that had been moulded and also somewhat exaggerated by the wider and more general narrative surrounding his style at the time. I thought he was over the hill and that his time at United might’ve been the end of him (regardless of the over-achievements with that squad). I knew he had managed and created great teams... I just thought he was cooked and had become an obscure parody of himself, using us much as a PR stunt as anything... and I was very nervous of having at the helm. Not the fucking case though, is it!?! For which I am very grateful. Football icon.

In retrospect, it was definitely an opinion that had been moulded and also somewhat exaggerated by the wider and more general narrative surrounding his style at the time. I thought he was over the hill and that his time at United might’ve been the end of him (regardless of the over-achievements with that squad). I knew he had managed and created great teams... I just thought he was cooked and had become an obscure parody of himself, using us much as a PR stunt as anything... and I was very nervous of having at the helm. Not the fucking case though, is it!?! For which I am very grateful. Football icon.

We all know what we're in for. He goes to teams in mess, he fixes the mess and improves them, wins something(s) then fucks off in a shit storm.

I don't expect anything different. I really don't and I won't be too bothered when the innevitable shit storm eventually happens. This club needs a massive mentality shift from "we can't compete" to we are the best, come and get us.

Personally, I don't think having 65% posession makes you good to watch.
What you do with the ball when you have it makes you good to watch.

Mourinho gets that so it feels like he gets me.
Fist pump.

Just to expand on "what you do with it"

Think about the likes of West Brom at Wembley a few years ago. They barely touched the ball, but when they DID touch it, they time wasted. They didn't have any ambition to win the game. They were happy to hump the ball out of play as close to our goal as they could. They would take an eternity to take a throw or a goal kick. Their keeper even tackled our ball boy to stop us taking a corner quickly.

That is the definition of horrid, unwatchable football.

We did nothing of the sort on Saturday with similar possession. When we got the ball, we tried to pass it through the Citty lines and opened them up. We had limited chances but they were better than Cities chances.

I had a City supporting friend texting me moaning about how bad THEY were.

Nice bit of insight on Mourinho from one of his former players:

“But Jose just had a way to keep everything fine. He was forward-thinking and pre-meditated. For example, in the 2006-07 season, we were playing Spurs in the FA Cup. He pulled me aside on the Thursday to say I would not be starting but if we are losing, he will bring me on, we will draw and then I will start the return game. It went exactly like that! We drew 3-3 and then we won 2-1 at White Hart Lane and I scored. When a manager does that, you have to trust him.

“Jose brought a lot of personal touches. I had two kids and when it was my time to have them, I sometimes took them along to training. We were training at 100 miles per hour and I looked over to see him kicking a ball and playing football with my son. It made you feel like a unit. He had time not just for players but for our families.

“Even when I left, I was at QPR and we played Chelsea during his second spell. Jose came over and the first thing he said was, ‘How are you? How is your son?’ That just shows he genuinely cared. It is normal around games he gets lost in it and can lose his temper. Players do it too. But when he does it, it just seems so much worse than everyone else!

“If anyone knows Mourinho and the press in England should by now, he is a lot cleverer than you think. There was always a reason for doing what he did. We, as players, noticed what he said. He doesn’t just come out and make a fuss for no reason. I could say pre-meditated. Even as players, he knows what you will ask him and how he will answer it. You can’t mess with him on stats as he knows them all already. If you are going to question him, he puts it to bed before you know it. He is so forward-thinking upstairs it is unbelievable.”

That last bit reminds me of how he keeps a little book of all his conversations with every player :)

And this is a good quote for all the "park the bus" accusations:

“Jose was very tactically clever. We were not defensive but defended well. He was really unbelievable. He had a squad of internationals. He managed to keep all of those characters happy and part of the team while winning things. Only he knows how he did it. There were times I did not play but not once did I think I was not part of the family.”

I am admittedly stuck in a conundrum.

I love the results, I hate how we get them.

Even the thrashings of SH and Man U left me wanting more as the counter and ball over the top seems to be our only option.

BUT NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, JOSE HAS TURNED THE CLUB AROUND.

I was first in line to send him down river, but the players have bought in and finally we see his mentality taking ahold.

Do I like the model? No, I really hate it and find us to be a boring outfit to watch, but winning isn't always about 70% possession or quick 1/2s around the box.

We have a recipe and it seems to be working just fine.

Even the thrashings of SH and Man U left me wanting more as the counter and ball over the top seems to be our only option.

I was first in line to send him down river, but the players have bought in and finally we see his mentality taking ahold.

Do I like the model? No, I really hate it and find us to be a boring outfit to watch, but winning isn't always about 70% possession or quick 1/2s around the box.

What a load of BS.

Here is your conundrum: You love Spurs but you hate Mourinho.

You are miserable now because you cannot enjoy the high that is going through the club atm but the moment Spurs lose you will be here mouthing off your misery because Spurs lost.

Ask yourself which do you want more: Spurs to rise to the top and win titles or Mourinho to fail?

You certainly can't have both (a.k.a you conundrum) but your answer will tell you whether you love Spurs more or hate JM more. If you hate Mou more, time to get another club. But if you love Spurs more, then get to know JM for yourself rather than taking on the media's toxicity towards JM. Only then will you stop being miserable.

Was looking at the table today and realized that with only nine goals conceded, we have the best defense in the division.

I was then thinking back on the goals we’ve conceded and we’ve only conceded twice from open play excluding OGs and that bizarre VAR decision against Brighton. The two open play goals we’ve conceded are the Ings goal and the Lanzini hit and hope prayer.

Now, I think “league’s best defense” flatters us a bit but on the flip side we’ve also given up some super flukey goals and pens. Continued tough schedule coming up and have to adjust with Toby going out, but it does show how much Jose has improved us defensively since he came in.

And we’re second in the league in goals scored, so it’s not like we’re just sacrificing goalscoring for solidity at the back.

We all know what we're in for. He goes to teams in mess, he fixes the mess and improves them, wins something(s) then fucks off in a shit storm.

he left porto to challenge in bigger league, so far he had the longest stint among all chelsea manager, they are a sacking club anyway which is similar as Madrid. While Manchester were a shit storm to begin with.

I know Mou is a legend but I always thought that maybe he had inherited the seeds planted by Poch and was now reaping its fruits. But the way he has transformed Kane into an undefendable, multi-headed beast of a player shows how wrong that thinking was. Also letting Dele and Rose drop off the face of the earth if they're not going to buy in took major balls that I don't think Poch had in him.

I also see now why Mou came to Spurs. He would have what he hadn't had in a long time. A squad full of players that would listen to and execute his vision without their overinflated egos getting in the way. He really got a raw deal at Chelsea and ManU in that regard with some of the inmates running the asylum over there.

Just to expand on "what you do with it"

Think about the likes of West Brom at Wembley a few years ago. They barely touched the ball, but when they DID touch it, they time wasted. They didn't have any ambition to win the game. They were happy to hump the ball out of play as close to our goal as they could. They would take an eternity to take a throw or a goal kick. Their keeper even tackled our ball boy to stop us taking a corner quickly.

That is the definition of horrid, unwatchable football.

We did nothing of the sort on Saturday with similar possession. When we got the ball, we tried to pass it through the Citty lines and opened them up. We had limited chances but they were better than Cities chances.

I had a City supporting friend texting me moaning about how bad THEY were.
There’s a purpose to everything we do under Mourinho. It’s not just neat little passes in harmless areas, racking up possession percentages. It’s not dependent on playing it out from the goalie, through defence, into midfield & “probing” football. It’s purposeful. Direct when it has to be. Rugged defensively. And absolutely devastating at times going forward. The Kane disallowed goal v City was absolutely sensational play up to the point that Harry found himself with a tap in from an offside position. It was poetry in motion. And purposeful. We absolutely tore through them in that passage of play & regardless of it being disallowed, City would have been shitting bangers that it could easily happen again.
We opened them up beautifully for both goals as well.
I absolutely wasn’t a Jose fan, & doubted his style of football. But it’s ruthlessly effective and great to watch when it’s executed to plan because of how easy it looks.

I really dont find us boring at all but maybe its just me. I find it less entertaining than under Poch at his best but it’s still pretty good in my view.

There’s a purpose to everything we do under Mourinho. It’s not just neat little passes in harmless areas, racking up possession percentages. It’s not dependent on playing it out from the goalie, through defence, into midfield & “probing” football. It’s purposeful. Direct when it has to be. Rugged defensively. And absolutely devastating at times going forward. The Kane disallowed goal v City was absolutely sensational play up to the point that Harry found himself with a tap in from an offside position. It was poetry in motion. And purposeful. We absolutely tore through them in that passage of play & regardless of it being disallowed, City would have been shitting bangers that it could easily happen again.
We opened them up beautifully for both goals as well.
I absolutely wasn’t a Jose fan, & doubted his style of football. But it’s ruthlessly effective and great to watch when it’s executed to plan because of how easy it looks.

As someone that just said above you that it is boring to watch, I sit there watching saying "this is execution and efficiency personified". So again, I am just being a pissy dick head that can't appreciate a different way of executing.

Back
Top Bottom