Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even without a financial backing from Levy, Mourinho would perform well. Don't forget that this guy won the Champions League with Porto.... That should speak for itself.
That’s nonsense, it was 16 years ago. If he felt he could repeat the Porto job all the time he would’ve chosen spurs when we offered him the job in 2004.

He chose Chelsea because it was an easier job. Since Porto (Who had the biggest budget domestically) he’s always gone for clubs that could compete at the top end financially.

he won the CL with Porto that one but failed with Chelsea (x2), Inter and Man Utd. And before you come at me with “he didn’t fail...” if we consider Pep a failure at City and Bayern, we have to hold Mourinho to the same standard.

That’s nonsense, it was 16 years ago. If he felt he could repeat the Porto job all the time he would’ve chosen spurs when we offered him the job in 2004.

He chose Chelsea because it was an easier job. Since Porto (Who had the biggest budget domestically) he’s always gone for clubs that could compete at the top end financially.

he won the CL with Porto that one but failed with Chelsea (x2), Inter and Man Utd. And before you come at me with “he didn’t fail...” if we consider Pep a failure at City and Bayern, we have to hold Mourinho to the same standard.

Mourinho a failure!!!

The greatest most successful manager ever!

:mourbringit:

That is only logical tho. He'd already proved himself so he wanted to go to a big team with resources.

Poch is doing the same thing now. He's done the underdog/build a team stage and wants to try being at one of the big dogs.

Mourinho a failure!!!

The greatest most successful manager ever!

:mourbringit:
He failed in his objectives at Madrid and Utd and Chelsea pt2 ended in a mess. I don’t know why it’s so hard to admit. His reputation has taken a big hit. That doesn’t mean that he’s still not capable of restoring it.

similarly Pep’s last year has caused people to question him. That’s the nature of the business when you set such a high bar for yourself.

He failed in his objectives at Madrid and Utd and Chelsea pt2 ended in a mess. I don’t know why it’s so hard to admit. His reputation has taken a big hit. That doesn’t mean that he’s still not capable of restoring it.

similarly Pep’s last year has caused people to question him. That’s the nature of the business when you set such a high bar for yourself.
His record speaks for itself and I’m delighted he’s with us!

Yeah load of crap. Not defending Poch or anything but put these facts right if you want a proper debate.

1. Poch has won nothing in 3 jobs - because 2 of them were with bottom half clubs. In Spain it’s extremely difficult to win Copa del Rey (cause title talk is hilarious if you’re not one of the top clubs). Look at the past winners in the cup to see how many clubs bar Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico have won it.
2. His third job wasn’t exactly in a great spot to start. I really hate when fans forget how bad we were before he took over. And it took him a season to sort that mess out. Another season to make a top 4 finish which was the main objectivr initially, remember? We weren’t supposed to win the fucking title, it’s just a shame that we couldn’t. Then yeah, we challenged for another title, FA Cup, Champions League but unfortunately we couldn’t cross the finish line as winners. First Champions League final in our club’s history man. I will never forget it even if it ended in tears. “Bbbbb but we didn’t win it”.

Mourinho took over a team that was broken? Yeah sure, a team that ended as Europe’s second best team the season before. This team wasn’t broken but it needed a change. The only “broke” excuse is that we had shitloads of injuries. And we only needed time to get over that spell of bad luck. Luckily for Mourinho, the lockdown put a halt on the season so most of the key players recovered from their injuries and battled for an EL spot.
Mourinho inherited a very talented squad. And added to it in the summer. So far we haven’t won anything under Mourinho either, it’s a very long way to go. Let’s talk after we win something, ok?

I don't really care what his conditions were. People were ranting about how he#s so great and left Mourinho in the dark ages. You can't claim a manager as being something special until they do something special. Bottling 2 finals, 2 semi finals and 2 title races with the best squad we had in decades wasn't special.

Poch's biggest mistake was at Southampton when he played a reserve team in the later stages of the FA Cup. He could have won it that year as it was a great opportunity.
He also insisted in sticking with useless keepers like Vorm and Gazza when we had fully fit Lloris to come in for the big games. Vorm is ok against lower leadgue teams when we won't have a shot to stop. Not against United at Wembley in a Semi Final

That is only logical tho. He'd already proved himself so he wanted to go to a big team with resources.

Poch is doing the same thing now. He's done the underdog/build a team stage and wants to try being at one of the big dogs.
That’s my point though, Porto 2003-04 was like lightning in a bottle that he used as a springboard, I just think people are too absolutist about certain circumstances. It’s not like the spine of that squad (Carvalho and Deco in particular) didn’t progress in their careers as well. AVB did brilliantly with Porto, Capello at Roma, Jardim at Monaco, Klopp at Dortmund, Simeone at Atletico, even Van Gaal at AZ. He’s not the only guy who overachieved.

We’ve got a real chance here, and I believe he can do it. He’s also not up against teams of the levels that City/Liverpool have set over the past couple of years . That’s just a fact.

Jose isn’t capable of building that 14-19 team on that budget
First, Poch didn't completely build that team himself.

Hugo, Jan, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane were all there before Poch. By the end of his first season came Dele, Dier, Davies, Trippier, Toby, Son. We've not had a good transfer window since then until this summer. The only academy player he brought through was Winks.

Poch obviously got great results out of the players we had and the guys that came to him early on but he didn't have the eye for a transfer that many credit him with. Dele was the result of a particularly persistent scout/former player I believe. Towards the end Poch got bigheaded, he wanted 60m Ndombele, 40m Lo Celso, at the cost of having no RB, backup striker etc.

Second, Mou has almost completed our rebuild in a single summer. We have a top LB, a decent RB, the long awated DM, and a competent backup striker and CB. All for about the price of one Ndombele. Also, note that none of them needed a whole year to get up to fitness, no talk of culture shock, language barrier or tactical fit.

Imagine if that summer, instead of buying Ndombele, we bought Tielemans and someone like Mitrovic or Castagne for 60m. Would we have CL football this season?

Won CL with Inter. Get your story straight.

Hugo, Jan, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane were all there before Poch. By the end of his first season came Dele, Dier, Davies, Trippier, Toby, Son. We've not had a good transfer window since then until this summer. The only academy player he brought through was Winks.

Poch obviously got great results out of the players we had and the guys that came to him early on but he didn't have the eye for a transfer that many credit him with. Dele was the result of a particularly persistent scout/former player I believe. Towards the end Poch got bigheaded, he wanted 60m Ndombele, 40m Lo Celso, at the cost of having no RB, backup striker etc.

Second, Mou has almost completed our rebuild in a single summer. We have a top LB, a decent RB, the long awated DM, and a competent backup striker and CB. All for about the price of one Ndombele. Also, note that none of them needed a whole year to get up to fitness, no talk of culture shock, language barrier or tactical fit.

Imagine if that summer, instead of buying Ndombele, we bought Tielemans and someone like Mitrovic or Castagne for 60m. Would we have CL football this season?
Poch was out of his depth with squad management, I'm convinced.
All this "it's very hard to find players that will improve out starting 11" stuff was the first sign.
Improve their back ups so they don't have to play 90 minutes every week then, derr.

Quit the bottle. Failed with RM, Chelsea 2.0 and Man Utd? You definitely know your football. His worst spell in his managerial history was with Man Utd, and he won EL and a cup. And made it to cup final on his 2nd year. RM won La Liga when Barcelona were the team to beat. Chelsea 2.0 won PL. What objectives did he fail to achieve?

I'd swap , Tielemans and someone like Mitrovic or Castagne for one N'dombele shoulder drop shimmy and through ball
against City. Don't know about champions league but as we are winning the league and Europa this season im fine with it....

I'd swap , Tielemans and someone like Mitrovic or Castagne for one N'dombele shoulder drop shimmy and through ball
against City. Don't know about champions league but as we are winning the league and Europa this season im fine with it....
Think you missed the point. TND was next to useless last season. £60m spent on a player we arguably didn't need who wasn't up to playing but no money spent on a defensive mid and 2nd striker we definitely did need.

You can't compare TND's performances now, under Mourinho a year later. We're talking about what would have happened if Poch didn't sign a luxury and used it for what we needed.

"no one is happy to sit on the bench behind Kane" we heard.

You aren't doing it right Poch.

I don't really care what his conditions were. People were ranting about how he#s so great and left Mourinho in the dark ages. You can't claim a manager as being something special until they do something special. Bottling 2 finals, 2 semi finals and 2 title races with the best squad we had in decades wasn't special.
And arguably, contrary to the post you were replying to, Mourinho took over a team in as much of mess - relatively - to the one Poch inherited.

Poch did a fairly good job, as did people like Jol and Redknapp before him. In many ways all three deserve credit for what they did to help change the club from perennial mid table strugglers to a genuine 'Top 6' club again (and taking the new fangled obsession with top 4 and the Champions League aside, there is no shame in being a team who might finish 3rd or 6th). What none of them could do was turn us into a team who could win silverware despite having the tools to do so.

Mourinho, I'm certain, will bring success sooner rather than later. I don't even expect him to win the league for us, christ many have failed since 1961, but I expect to be winning something on a regular basis.

Poch built it because he gave that squad a framework which we couldn’t have foreseen in the sherwood era. Nobody said 4 straight CL places, was the objective. Or winning a league or reaching a CL final.

I keep saying they were both the right appointments for the times Levy has hired them.

One thing Mourinho can still do is spot where the gaps in his team are (Conte is also brilliant in this regard) but it’s also short termist.

I’m glad we signed all three of them to be honest. The guys you mentioned may have had a better short term impact (I rate none of them personally) but I always tend to bet on the long term talent ceiling of players.

Vinicius, Reguilon & N’Dombele makes our potential higher IMO.

Back
Top Bottom