Spurs vs Leicester City 20 Dec 14:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You sound like redknapp and Owen. Top 4 is realistic and so is winning something. Couple of games ago he was near the top of the scoring charts and the team winning. He is happy if we get top 4 and a cup come end of the season. Such a long way to go calm down people

Hope you’re right. Success is fleeting, especially when you’re bench is so thin.

Hope you’re right. Success is fleeting, especially when you’re bench is so thin.
Bench is so thin? We have the deepest squad we've had for a long time.

We've got one of the best British players of recent times on our bench. A twenty four year old who has scored fifty goals for us, played 37 times for England and was in the PFA team of the year two years in a row can't even get on the bench.

My best guess would be RM or PSG. Only other club that could probably afford the package would be City and I’m not sure he’d buy into that idea?
With Aguero more or less at the end of his career, I could see them making a big bid for Harry. But you're right, I think he'd choose to go overseas.

Bench is so thin? We have the deepest squad we've had for a long time.

We've got one of the best British players of recent times on our bench. A twenty four year old who has scored fifty goals for us, played 37 times for England and was in the PFA team of the year two years in a row can't even get on the bench.
having ali in the team is pointless unless you have a playmaker behind him.
jose omitting dele actually serves two purposes, one it gives ndombele a run of games, so no excuses, secondly gives ali a kick up the backside.

What jose has done also by playing sissoko, is he has actually gone against the grain and his own better judgement, hoping that ndombele will show for the ball more once PEH or sissoko has the ball, kane wouldn't be dropping deep 80% of the time, more like 60% of the time,

The hoofball is a result of midfielders not showing for the ball.
One thing that Jose is known to setup is centrebacks and midfield, barring the debacle at old trafford.

Alot of people keep harping on about three in midfield, but for that to work cohesively, you either go the liverpool route, of pressers, to recycle the ball or city's route, of a ball winner, a play maker and a box to box player.
Evertons midfield against us is a perfect example.

Unfortunately we need to buy in this window, personally sanson would be my pick, and if we could call skipp back from his loan, then offload a host of players, lucas, winks and sissoko as starters,

Then having three players fighting for the third midfield spot or attacking midfield centre role till summer.

Even if poch was here, his high pressing would leave us shocklingly open in midfield, and unlikely no place for ali,

Extremely poor performance, so many players (all of them, actually) waiting for the ball to come to feet and not moving. Static. I am sure that this is the result of being told to play passively - you start playing passively and it infiltrates your entire game.

Tactically I understand why we play this way against sides that have spent a billion quid on players but against Leicester - absolutely no disrespect here, they are a good side - but they set up to counter as well... I dont get it.

A forward line of Kane, Son and Bale and we barely have a shot. Its not right

Agree. My biggest complaint is how slow the players are to make decisions with the ball. Five, six, seven touches plus looking around before they pass the ball or try to create a play. How can we really create anything when the players take forever to move the ball? Easy to defend.

Last edited:
Just watching motd.
Start of that second goal Moura just jogs and watches as Leicester build a 2v1 overlap leaving the crossing bloke in acres.

Sissoko does his human traffic cone impression.

The look Alderweireld gives Sissoko afterwards is scathing.
Sissoko fucked up majorly for their second - yet the likes of Airfixx Airfixx and co came up with the usual excuses

having ali in the team is pointless unless you have a playmaker behind him.
jose omitting dele actually serves two purposes, one it gives ndombele a run of games, so no excuses, secondly gives ali a kick up the backside.

What jose has done also by playing sissoko, is he has actually gone against the grain and his own better judgement, hoping that ndombele will show for the ball more once PEH or sissoko has the ball, kane wouldn't be dropping deep 80% of the time, more like 60% of the time,

The hoofball is a result of midfielders not showing for the ball.
One thing that Jose is known to setup is centrebacks and midfield, barring the debacle at old trafford.

Alot of people keep harping on about three in midfield, but for that to work cohesively, you either go the liverpool route, of pressers, to recycle the ball or city's route, of a ball winner, a play maker and a box to box player.
Evertons midfield against us is a perfect example.

Unfortunately we need to buy in this window, personally sanson would be my pick, and if we could call skipp back from his loan, then offload a host of players, lucas, winks and sissoko as starters,

Then having three players fighting for the third midfield spot or attacking midfield centre role till summer.

Even if poch was here, his high pressing would leave us shocklingly open in midfield, and unlikely no place for ali,
I made the Alli point to emphasise that we have depth. Far more than we've had in recent years.

Yea', and this time last week we'd had our best start in the league since 1984! So grow the fuck up and get some perspectve.
Our best start since 1984 until we took 1 point from 9, bottled it against Palace and Liverpool and turned up looking beaten before a ball was even kicked yesterday, in what was by far our worst performance this season, do you honestly think teams that believe themselves to be contenders put in performances like that when the pressure is on? you are deluded if you do.

The mentality at this club is rotten from top to bottom and has been since I started supporting them in 83.

Have you even looked at the table over the weekend?

As I already pointed out we are now below Everton and Leicester, But its worse than that, we are a point above Southampton, if West Ham win their game in hand they go a point behind us, Aston Villa can overtake us if they win their games in hand, same with Chelsea, Same with Man City.

Suddenly this great start has us in 8-9th place.

It's not been a great start at all, so don't talk to me about perspective please. The alarm bells are ringing.

One game too many in my view.

And a year in and the starting line-up had 9 players who were purchased under Pochettino. Quite weird.

Our options need to be used, need to better and need to be trusted.

Beyond that what else because style of play is not going to change too radically one would feel although of course we look worse in defeat than we ever do in victory.

Last edited:

It's not as thin as it was. We have cover although you can never have a sub that will come on and replace kane or son. That's where Liverpool have made a difference with Jota covering and scoring every week. Maybe vini needs to play with the the first team and even come on in games with Harry dropping a bit. Rather that then bale

Am I right in thinking that Kane miss fired on two headers against Leicester, after missing a very easy one against dippers? More importantly, am I allowed to ask this?
Kane has been shit for about 3 games now, and Son hasn't been much better.
It's no co-incidence that when those two don't perform the team doesn't perform.
But we all knew that already, some other creative players need to step up, I'm talking about Lucas, Bergwjin, Bale, Dele, Lo Celso, Ndombele.
Either step up and contribute or fuck off imo

Yes it’s surprising given his physique

He is a wimp though. He can run hard but doesn’t impose himself. He followed Vardy all the way back and then when the ball actually came to him he didn’t challenge. He did exactly the same thing on the first goal that West Ham scored against us, he was standing right where he should be and just didn’t jump.

If you actually watch him you will see that he is afraid to contest most balls in the air or on the ground, even outside of the penalty box. I see Hojbjerg throwing himself about and challenging for every ball and Sissoko looks utterly powder puff next to him.

Anyway watching this game back it reminds me of the games we played after losing the CL final or the games after the 2-2 with Chelsea when Leicester won the league. Every player was clearly still digesting the defeat to Liverpool and didn’t show any appetite for this game. They were feeling sorry for themselves. Weak, weak mentality. This is why Mourinho always played down that title talk.

Like we’ve seen under Poch before, these players are very quick to get carried away with trophy talk but they wilt when the real pressure comes. With 1 minute left at Anfield they thought they could win the title, we made a mistake and lost, then 3 days later and they’ve already given up.

We can talk about the tactics all day long but if the players don’t have the will to win then it doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
Watched the 2nd goal a few times now. While Sissoko obviously didnt jump for the header ...as always. He had the situation under control. Hes done enough to stop Vardy from making a proper header.

If Toby doesnt exist in defence for that entire phase of play we would be fine. While running back not once does he think about where Vardy is. He doesnt judge where the cross will end up , and he scores the own goal when if he wasnt even there everything would be fine.

Terrible from everyone involved but Toby was the shittest in that phase of play.

The goal was shit from the whole team but you can’t blame Toby for taking a defensive position. He is a defender. If Sissoko’s going to run into a CB position then he needs to contest the ball when it arrives. What’s the point in running in there if you are just going to let Vardy jump?

Anyway for me the biggest mistake was Lucas. He gave a bad ball away and instead of running his bollocks off to get back and stop the cross, he jogs. He could easily have got there. I can see that being demoted to a bench player has made him lazy.

Back
Top Bottom