Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One thing I've liked tonight is the reaction on Twitter, he's currently winning the fan vote for MOTM, apart from his blind disciples, looks like Jose's kicked a hornet's nest with his words. Proper backlash.
Jose should definitely take note of what’s being said on Twitter, I’m sure there’s a lot of sound judgement and perceptive analysis there to consider.

Most managers are critical of players not doing as they’re asked. Remember Poch calling out Wanyama for scoring against Liverpool? BMJ being horrified by the 4-4 with Woolwich? Players are paid to do a job and if they’re not doing it, they get called out.

However, the caveat is that they have to do it to the best of their ability: Dele could have played it easy but tried the flick - that wasn’t his job so he gets called on it. Jose is interested in the process of the game, the function and the movement and balance of the team. Same reason he was excited when Hugo had a go at Sonny; same reason he plays Stevie B over Bale and Lucas. Same reason he called out Tanguy.

what was his madrid side like in 11/12? i cant remember but surely they must have played decent stuff to score as many goals as they did and rack up 100 points?
Didn’t they play us at the lane in our first CL Season? When they had Adebayor? Unless I’m getting mixed up they played some decent stuff but as somebody said they did have some unbelievable players at the time. To get the better of that Barca team they must have been pretty special

Most managers are critical of players not doing as they’re asked. Remember Poch calling out Wanyama for scoring against Liverpool? BMJ being horrified by the 4-4 with Woolwich? Players are paid to do a job and if they’re not doing it, they get called out.

However, the caveat is that they have to do it to the best of their ability: Dele could have played it easy but tried the flick - that wasn’t his job so he gets called on it. Jose is interested in the process of the game, the function and the movement and balance of the team. Same reason he was excited when Hugo had a go at Sonny; same reason he plays Stevie B over Bale and Lucas. Same reason he called out Tanguy.
Jose should have dealt with it privately. I think he’s got a point about the flicks tbh but no need to hang Dele out to dry - especially as we won fairly comfortably in the end.

To blame the goal on Dele is utterly mindblowing. The ball went all the way back to their keeper after he lost the ball!!!

I wish Dele all the best at his next Club, he should get out of Spurs as fast as he can. One thing I've liked tonight is the reaction on Twitter, he's currently winning the fan vote for MOTM, apart from his blind disciples, looks like Jose's kicked a hornet's nest with his words. Proper backlash.
Twitter you say?

Well fuck it. make Dele captain!

This is what Jose was referring to:

The ball ends up with the Stoke keeper before the move that started the goal, so it would be like getting mad at Kane for giving up a goal kick. It's a bit ridiculous.

Didn’t they play us at the lane in our first CL Season? When they had Adebayor? Unless I’m getting mixed up they played some decent stuff but as somebody said they did have some unbelievable players at the time. To get the better of that Barca team they must have been pretty special
lets be honest, with a prime modric in our midfield along with hojbjerg we would be playing some lovely stuff too. we still lack that deep lying playmaker in midfield, that one player can make all the difference as they are the most important player in this system.

Jose should definitely take note of what’s being said on Twitter, I’m sure there’s a lot of sound judgement and perceptive analysis there to consider.
Of course he won't but there is a proper fan backlash to his words/actions going on right now. It might, like most of these things, blow over in a couple of hours or it might stir up some angst. And for those of you who think the media have an agenda against him, this presents it's self as a perfect crusty old scab to be picked.

Jose should have dealt with it privately. I think he’s got a point about the flicks tbh but no need to hang Dele out to dry - especially as we won fairly comfortably in the end.
I think he was asked the question so replied honestly. Probably best not to have done - I agree - but the media are going to make a big deal of it, whatever, aren’t they? In fairness, if Dele just put in a busy performance as he did for the rest of the game, made those runs into the box and so on, we’d all be really happy. Needs to get his head down and work hard for time like Winks has.

I thought he was pretty decent tonight.

I think from Jose's reaction it's clear that Dele just isn't responding to what's being asked of him.

It looks like he hasn't taken the criticism or instruction well and is sulking.

If it's a choice between Jose and Dele it's a very easy one for me. Dele gave us two great years a long time ago and won the square root of fuck all.

Jose may just bring us some silverware.

To blame the goal on Dele is utterly mindblowing. The ball went all the way back to their keeper after he lost the ball!!!
If you'd like to be further outraged I also blame Dele for climate change and unemployment. Suck it, Guido!

he should get out of Spurs as fast as he can.
And here we are in agreement again. Guido, my man!!!! This level of venality will see you hooked up with additional HD streams. :sonpoint:

One thing I've liked tonight is the reaction on Twitter, he's currently winning the fan vote for MOTM, apart from his blind disciples, looks like Jose's kicked a hornet's nest with his words. Proper backlash.
Guids, what's the root of the word "Masses"? Depending on how you see that will give you my perspective on twitter backlash. It's QAnon level stuff with Dele and Jose.

Ep9CBMwXMAMzELc

Ep9CBM7W8AMNB3k

I just watched the whole sequence on SSN and it would very churlish and harsh to blame dele for that goal. I mean when people talk about phase in an attack this was like phase 5. He flicks the ball on half way line. Their player wins it dele chase him back and they eventually pass back to their goalie. He punts it upfield could go anywhere and we have enough players back. The mai problem is losing header from the long punt down our left. Think it was dier. Davies is no where to be seen as their player runs down the left and crosses it. It goes past everyone with loris rooted to goal line and their player knocks it in unmarked. Doherty is in the middle of the box. To me that is very harsh to blame on dele and then make it a public hanging.

The ball ends up with the Stoke keeper before the move that started the goal, so it would be like getting mad at Kane for giving up a goal kick. It's a bit ridiculous.

The goal ultimately is not Dele's fault but that flick was utterly ludicrous.

He has such an easy ball on to Lucas who can drive into space with Kane ahead of him.

Those are situations they work on in training everyday and maybe 8/10 times we fashion a good chance from that position.

I just can't understand his thought process there. It's childish.

There was something about an ‘objective counter attack’ - I think Jose’s plan was for Dele to take a touch and play in Sonny - far more threatening. Instead, the ball back to their defence plays is back under pressure. You’re right - it seems like the same as a goal kick, but taking / missing the shot is the final phase of the attack so there is no alternative - just goal or no goal. In the centre of the park, the aim is to control and transition from defence to attack - he made a mistake from possession which is Jose’s most heinous crime (and why he doesn’t like to play with high possession). If you’re doing the flicks, they have to work (and be the only option).

Watched the press conference everyone is talking about. Jose never directly says that he was angry at Dele. He says he was upset that we gave away possession that resulted in a counter attack. It was the journo that used the word angry. He responds with a "yup" and goes on to explain his point but never once hangs out Dele directly or insults him. Just says that a player in that position cannot afford to make mistakes that end up resulting in a opposition goal.

People are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Back
Top Bottom