Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the thing is other players will at least look like theyll try or even attempt to ge
I think with other players if they give away the ball theyll at least attempt yo get it back. Dele doesnt seem to want to put the work in tbh. He Was poor under poch for last couple of year. Im sure hes gotten the arm around the shoulder approach hasnt worked. Maybe a public critcism will 🤷‍♂️ 3 years waiting for something approaching his old form how long can we wait
Watch the clip again! Dele actually tries to win the ball back in fact I reckon he touches the ball backwards in his challenge. Which knock it further back towards the player near son.

Ep9CBMwXMAMzELc

Ep9CBM7W8AMNB3k
Haha 😂 it’s like when some kid kicks off in class and the rest look around to see what the teacher’s reaction will be!

The goal ultimately is not Dele's fault but that flick was utterly ludicrous.

He has such an easy ball on to Lucas who can drive into space with Kane ahead of him.

Those are situations they work on in training everyday and maybe 8/10 times we fashion a good chance from that position.

I just can't understand his thought process there. It's childish.
But this is why Jose's football is the dullest football on the planet.

He would have sacked off Ginola and Gazza, Hoddle for not tracking back. He sucks the life out of the game, boring football.

There was something about an ‘objective counter attack’ - I think Jose’s plan was for Dele to take a touch and play in Sonny - far more threatening. Instead, the ball back to their defence plays is back under pressure. You’re right - it seems like the same as a goal kick, but taking / missing the shot is the final phase of the attack so there is no alternative - just goal or no goal. In the centre of the park, the aim is to control and transition from defence to attack - he made a mistake from possession which is Jose’s most heinous crime (and why he doesn’t like to play with high possession). If you’re doing the flicks, they have to work (and be the only option).
I'm not defending Dele's decision making in this instance as much as saying that blaming the goal on the turnover is objectively absurd considering the sequence of events that occurred, and doing so distracts from the horrific decisions from five or six other players that led to the goal as well as Dele's other contributions in the match, especially in the first half.

I'm not defending Dele's decision making in this instance as much as saying that blaming the goal on the turnover is objectively absurd considering the sequence of events that occurred, and doing so distracts from the horrific decisions from five or six other players that led to the goal as well as Dele's other contributions in the match, especially in the first half.
Yeh - I agree it’s a totally different phase of play, but Dele’s just not doing as asked, I guess.

Overall, I thought he was pretty decent tonight.

He would have sacked off Ginola and Gazza, Hoddle for not tracking back. He sucks the life out of the game, boring football.
I think every manager appreciates players that use the ball well.

That flick just doesn't make sense. Are you suggesting Dele was right to attempt it?

Most managers are critical of players not doing as they’re asked. Remember Poch calling out Wanyama for scoring against Liverpool? BMJ being horrified by the 4-4 with Woolwich? Players are paid to do a job and if they’re not doing it, they get called out.

However, the caveat is that they have to do it to the best of their ability: Dele could have played it easy but tried the flick - that wasn’t his job so he gets called on it. Jose is interested in the process of the game, the function and the movement and balance of the team. Same reason he was excited when Hugo had a go at Sonny; same reason he plays Stevie B over Bale and Lucas. Same reason he called out Tanguy.
Something's fishy with this explanation. It's all example-y and reasonable. Therefore, I think it's wrong and am going to say the proper explanation is "Agenda". Jose hates Dele and it's as simple as that. At least that's what Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 and Blanchflower Blanchflower tell me.

This is what Jose was referring to:

The ball ends up with the Stoke keeper before the move that started the goal, so it would be like getting mad at Kane for giving up a goal kick. It's a bit ridiculous.

I mean no wonder I didn’t remember it ffs!
.. ridiculous to blame dele for that goal. And as some have said already, nowt wrong with trying something to make something happen in a transition even if it doesn’t come off.

compared with some of the stale rubbish I’ve watched us play this season I’d take the odd flick not coming off any day.
lets be honest, with a prime modric in our midfield along with hojbjerg we would be playing some lovely stuff too. we still lack that deep lying playmaker in midfield, that one player can make all the difference as they are the most important player in this system.
totally agree, schnieder, modric, fabregas at Chelsea - I wonder who Jose has his eye on to play that role for us? I’m surprised he’s not looked to fill that role already.

Dunno - Bale gets plenty of minutes (albeit in the B-team) and he’s like an unfit Daveed.

Robson forced Gazza to play better to get into the England team; Ginola was dropped from France for not tracking back and Hoddle was often overlooked in internationals (as was Le Tissier - similar(ish) type of player). The rights or wrongs are a discussion for another day, but there’s clearly a lot of managers don’t like to build a team around a ‘luxury’ player. -

IMO, it is unfair to blame Dele for the goal, there was a lot more going on after that flick (a bit like Houllier blaming Ginola for the French being knocked out of the World Cup). I also don't like Jose taking players to task in public, but doubt he is going to change.
Anyway, we're in the semi final of the League Cup (suppose I will have to learn how to spell Carabao, if we're going to win it!)

Watched the press conference everyone is talking about. Jose never directly says that he was angry at Dele. He says he was upset that we gave away possession that resulted in a counter attack. It was the journo that used the word angry. He responds with a "yup" and goes on to explain his point but never once hangs out Dele directly or insults him. Just says that a player in that position cannot afford to make mistakes that end up resulting in a opposition goal.

People are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Yeah and he did the same with ndombele against Burnley he didn’t actually name him but everyone was in no doubt who he was referring to! Whether the journo asked him or he just poured an oil tanker over it. He was asked a similar question about Auriers stupid challenge on Sunday he didn’t respond in the same way.
This sort of thing will be noticed by players who will either stand up fir their mate or go into their shell and won’t even try anything like that again as they will be too scared to try it. Hence just kick the ball long aimlessly is not criticised but a trying something a bit more adventurous is slammed. Wonder what he would have done with cantona?

I'm not sure you really understand what is happening. Have you perhaps had a whiff of the cork?

I said Dele was poor earlier in the thread, you disagreed. You then cited you didn't rate Mourinho and that twitter backed up this opinion by saying Dele was MOTM. When I said he wasn't even close you then claim the penny has dropped.

You are not as clever as you think, in fact you've gone full batshit stupid crazy on this!!

I think from Jose's reaction it's clear that Dele just isn't responding to what's being asked of him.

It looks like he hasn't taken the criticism or instruction well and is sulking.

If it's a choice between Jose and Dele it's a very easy one for me. Dele gave us two great years a long time ago and won the square root of fuck all.

Jose may just bring us some silverware.

Conversely Alli has 4 years left on his contract....Mourinho has never stayed that long in a job

Back
Top Bottom