Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I shouldn't say this because it will definitely come back to hunt me, but I'd say we are favorites in every cup competition we're in this season.

The FA Cup is the most difficult one to predict - in the end it's more about luck than anything else. But in relation to the League Cup and the Europa League, I think we'll be well prepared for any match. Cup games are not regular games. For example, I'd be feeling confident facing Leicester in a EL two-legged tie. I wasn't feeling confident at all on Sunday.

That said, the schedule and our players conditions will have a big say in all this. God save Hojbjerg, Son and Kane.

I don't see how we are bigger favorites than Leicester or United in the EL, I would say at best we are co-favourites, which maybe fits the bill for your statement though.

Maybe individually we are favorites over the Manchester teams because we have the harder match but if we face either in the final it would be at best 50/50 if not one of them the favorites.

Don't see how we are in any way the favorites for the FA Cup.

I don't see how we are bigger favorites than Leicester or United in the EL, I would say at best we are co-favourites, which maybe fits the bill for your statement though.

Maybe individually we are favorites over the Manchester teams because we have the harder match but if we face either in the final it would be at best 50/50 if not one of them the favorites.

Don't see how we are in any way the favorites for the FA Cup.
Say what you want about Jose, but he can make a difference when preparing his teams for specific matches - the Jose factor, used by bookies, exists for a reason. In my opinion we'd be favorites - and not co-favourites - for the EL title because we have a proper manager - and United don't -, and because we have a manager used to play and win in Europe - and Leicester don't. Of course, the Europa League is not a mini Premier League. Clubs like AC Milan, Borussia Monchegladbach, Leverkusen, Ajax, Roma and others could be equally dangerous.

It's not just about Jose, though. I think the way we play at the moment favours cup matches. We are still a work in progress, as I always try to say. And we are not flawless - defending set pieces is our most obvious Aquilles heel. But we are definitely an organized team, we conceded few goals from open play so far - apart from own goals, barely any. It builds a plataform for our world class players up front to win us games.

It won't be enough to win us the Premier League this season. As I said, it's still a work in progress. But think about it: if we do our job, we'll beat Brentford and we'll be one match away from a trophy. This group of - very good - players will finally start to smell blood.

P.S: I did mention that the FA Cup would be a bit different. What I would say is that we don't need to fear no one. It's a cliché, but it's the truth. With a little luck, we mind find ourserves in a good position there, too.

Last edited:
Say what you want about Jose, but he can make a difference when preparing his teams for specific matches - the Jose factor, used by bookies, exists for a reason. In my opinion we'd be favorites - and not co-favourites - for the EL title because we have a proper manager - and United don't -, and because we have a manager used to play and win in Europe - and Leicester don't. Of course, the Europa League is not a mini Premier League. Clubs like AC Milan, Borussia Monchegladbach, Leverkusen, Roma and others could be equally dangerous.

It's not just about Jose, though. I think the way we play at the moment favours cup matches. We are still a work in progress, as I always try to say. And we are not flawless - defending set pieces is our most obvious Aquilles heel. But we are definitely an organized team, we conceded few goals from open play so far - apart from own goals, barely any. It builds a plataform for our world class players up front win us games.

It won't be enough to win us the Premier League this season. As I said, it's still a work in progress. But think about it: if we do our job, we'll beat Brentford and we'll be one match away from a trophy. This group of - very good - players will finally start to smell blood.

P.S: I did mention that the FA Cup would be a bit different. What I would say is that we don't need to fear no one. It's a cliché, but it's the truth. With a little luck, we mind find ourserves in a good position there, too.

Leicester went through their group stage, which was harder than ours, much easier. I am not sure there is any reason to believe that the way we play is better suited for Cup matches.

Jose was our manager and we played this style when we easily went out against a terrible Norwich last season. I think the Jose factor and especially the playing style is wildly overrated. I understand why fans want to believe it as it makes it much easier to spin this playing style but there really is nothing to back it up as being true.

Leicester went through their group stage, which was harder than ours, much easier. I am not sure there is any reason to believe that the way we play is better suited for Cup matches.

Jose was our manager and we played this style when we easily went out against a terrible Norwich last season. I think the Jose factor and especially the playing style is wildly overrated. I understand why fans want to believe it as it makes it much easier to spin this playing style but there really is nothing to back it up as being true.
Nice to finally exchange some ideas with you without receiving hate.

I completely disagree about your Norwich example. We were not a team at that time - not even by last season's perspective. Since that dark period we've organized the team after the break, we've signed players like Reguilón and - especially - Hojbjerg in the summer, and Sonny and Kane are fit. It's a totally different prospect.

Also, the fact that Leicester won their group means very little - actually, in practical terms it doesn't mean anything; they've won the group, so did we. But even if we didn't. One thing is to play a match in six, another thing is to play a decisive match - which is exactly my point in relation to our form in the league vs knockout matches.

COYS

Nice to finally exchange some ideas with you without receiving hate.

I completely disagree about your Norwich example. We were not a team at that time - not even by last season's perspective. Since that dark period we've organized the team after the break, we've signed players like Reguilón and - especially - Hojbjerg in the summer, and Sonny and Kane are fit. It's a totally different prospect.

Also, the fact that Leicester won their group means very little - actually, in practical terms it doesn't mean anything; they've won the group, so did we. But even if we didn't. One thing is to play a match in six, another thing is to play a decisive match - which is exactly my point in relation to our form in the league vs knockout matches.

COYS

Not sure what the first sentence nonsense is but I will just ignore it and go on.\

We don't have to just use the Norwich game, we looked poor in many of our EL games this year, having to rely on Kane and/or Son to save us because we set up so defensive. If Jose and his style give us such an advantage those qualifying games shouldn't have been as tough as they were, we shouldn't be giving up goals to Stoke and tied with them into the 2nd half.

Looking at teams that have won Cups, domestically and in Europe, teams that are progressive and attacking have won virtually all, if not all, of them while teams that set up negatively hoping for a 0-0 have not had success. There is nothing to suggest that us playing our style is more likely to win than teams that are willing to score and attack the opponents.

Looking at teams that have won Cups, domestically and in Europe, teams that are progressive and attacking have won virtually all, if not all, of them while teams that set up negatively hoping for a 0-0 have not had success. There is nothing to suggest that us playing our style is more likely to win than teams that are willing to score and attack the opponents.
Do you think Arteta's Woolwich played progressive and attacking football to beat City and Chelsea and win the FA Cup last season?

What about Valencia, the current champions of the Copa del Rey? What about Gattuso's Napoli, the current champions of the Coppa Italia? What about Sevilla, the current Europa League champions? Do you think the 13th best attack in Spain is a good example of offensive football? Be careful, if you go back another two years you'll find Jose's United. Progressive and attacking football?

There are many ways to win in football. Football keeps showing it every year.

Do you think Arteta's Woolwich played progressive and attacking football to beat City and Chelsea and win the FA Cup last season? What about Valencia, the current champions of the Copa del Rey? What about Napoli's Gattuso, the current champions of the Coppa Italia?

What about Sevilla, the current Europa League champions? Do you think the 13th best attack in Spain is a good example of offensive football? Be careful, if you go back another two years you'll find Jose's United. Progressive and attacking football?

There are many ways to win in football. Football keeps showing it every year.

I think Woolwich used pure luck, watching Sevilla in the Europa League they did not sit back at all and hope they could sneak out a 1-0 win. Not sure what they did in La Liga but in Europa, which is what matters, they did not play like we do at all.

I did not watch Valencia so I cannot comment on them. Napoli when I watched them in Serie A. did not play like us under Jose at all, but I did not watch the Coppa Italia so maybe they changed their style.

I would say the fact you are going to Coppa Italia and Copa del Rey while ignoring the competitions that we are in seems to show that that style doesn't lend itself to more success at all.

Edit:

Like you say there are many ways to win so it is highly unlikely that one style that has been so uneffective this year gives us an advantage over others.

I don't think bookies believe in hoodoos o_O
More a question of relative pedigree, than Hoodoo (which is something I didn't say, or allude to).

If we had a cabinet lightly dressed with silverware aquired over the last... however long since we've won anything, I might be more inclined to buy the hype.

More a question of relative pedigree, than Hoodoo (which is something I didn't say, or allude to).

If we had a cabinet lightly dressed with silverware aquired over the last... however long since we've won anything, I might be more inclined to buy the hype.

It wasn't a serious response but all the same - bookies will weigh up the relative quality of the teams + manager rather than go on whether the club is generally successful or not

I'd say the line "we haven't won anything in forever" was implying that's a reason why we won't win the EL and can be read as alluding to a hoodoo, but like i say nit to be taken seriously

Not sur about being faves for EL some of the teams look v strong like AC, BMG, manure , Leicester I’d say we’d struggle against rangers. No gaurantee we can win it more chance with caraboa.
palace game as someone posted they have shipped in 10 goals but we struggled with 1-1 draw. Missed opportunity big time those 3 points would helped us going into the pool and Leicester games.
if city win we could be 8th going into tmrws game although still tight in points terms but those who kept justifying JMs tactics by saying it got us top doesn’t really wash. The points range at the top is so tight. From 1st to potentially 7/8 in just over a week.

I think Woolwich used pure luck, watching Sevilla in the Europa League they did not sit back at all and hope they could sneak out a 1-0 win. Not sure what they did in La Liga but in Europa, which is what matters, they did not play like we do at all.

I did not watch Valencia so I cannot comment on them. Napoli when I watched them in Serie A. did not play like us under Jose at all, but I did not watch the Coppa Italia so maybe they changed their style.

I would say the fact you are going to Coppa Italia and Copa del Rey while ignoring the competitions that we are in seems to show that that style doesn't lend itself to more success at all.

Edit:

Like you say there are many ways to win so it is highly unlikely that one style that has been so uneffective this year gives us an advantage over others.
I gave you the exact examples you mentioned. A domestic cup (FA Cup) and a European cup (Europa League) - both from last season; and we'll be playing both competitions this season.

Then I brought other recent examples, from across Europe - it's not my fault if you were not able to comment on any of them.

Your sentence: "Looking at teams that have won Cups, domestically and in Europe, teams that are progressive and attacking have won virtually all, if not all, of them".

You're welcome.

I gave you the exact examples you mentioned. Domestic cups (FA Cup) and European cups (Europa League) - we're in both of them.

Then I brought other very recent examples, from across Europe - it's not my fault if you were not able to comment on any of them.

Your sentence: "Looking at teams that have won Cups, domestically and in Europe, teams that are progressive and attacking have won virtually all, if not all, of them".

You're welcome.

Except the examples you used for the Cups we are in don't fit the style we play so are irrelevant. Sevilla didn't sit back in a shell and hope the other team would make mistakes in the Europa League, they were aggressive with their attacks that put their opponents under pressure.

And even in the examples you bring from Europe the teams you chose did not play the same style as us so I have to trust that they changed their style based on your word which has already been shown to be shakey at best.

So no I am not welcome because you did a shit job of making your point. and still have shown zero evidence that our style of play gives us an advantage. At best if we ignore how much of what you used as examples was wrong you have shown that no style gives you an advantage, but really you haven't even shown that.

Except the examples you used for the Cups we are in don't fit the style we play so are irrelevant. Sevilla didn't sit back in a shell and hope the other team would make mistakes in the Europa League, they were aggressive with their attacks that put their opponents under pressure.

And even in the examples you bring from Europe the teams you chose did not play the same style as us so I have to trust that they changed their style based on your word which has already been shown to be shakey at best.

So no I am not welcome because you did a shit job of making your point. and still have shown zero evidence that our style of play gives us an advantage. At best if we ignore how much of what you used as examples was wrong you have shown that no style gives you an advantage, but really you haven't even shown that.
It´s getting silly now.

You said: "Looking at teams that have won Cups, domestically and in Europe, teams that are progressive and attacking have won virtually all, if not all, of them".

I gave you those two examples because Woolwich and Sevilla were not progressive and attacking teams when they won the FA Cup and the Europa League, respectively, last season. That´s why you answered it by saying that Woolwich used luck to win the FA Cup - and not by saying they were a progressive and attacking team, because they weren´t. And of course, that´s why you couldn´t properly comment on Sevilla. I can repeat it for you: they are the 13th best attack in La Liga, with only 15 goals scored in 13 games this season. If you think Lopetegui likes to play a progressive and attacking game, again, it´s not my fault.

Last edited:
It´s getting silly now.

You said: "Looking at teams that have won Cups, domestically and in Europe, teams that are progressive and attacking have won virtually all, if not all, of them". The examples of Woolwich and Sevilla were not brought up to say they played a similar style of football in relation to us. I gave you those two examples because Woolwich and Sevilla were not progressive and attacking teams when they won the FA Cup and the Europa League, last season. That´s why you answered saying that Woolwich won the FA Cup by luck - and not because they were a progressive and attacking team, because they weren´t. And of course, that´s why you couldn´t properly comment on Sevilla. I can repeat it for you: they are the 13th best attack in La Liga, with only 15 goals scored in 13 games this season. If you think Lopetegui likes to play a progressive and attacking game, again, it´s not my fault.

I agree it is getting silly.

It is clear that our style does not give us an example. It is clear you have nothing to being to the table to show that it does.

What worries me is that he only ever manages a club for 2-3 years lol , Will we be a exception or will he be gone by next Christmas or the one after lol

And how many trophies will he bring?

It´s getting silly now.

You said: "Looking at teams that have won Cups, domestically and in Europe, teams that are progressive and attacking have won virtually all, if not all, of them".

I gave you those two examples because Woolwich and Sevilla were not progressive and attacking teams when they won the FA Cup and the Europa League, respectively, last season. That´s why you answered it by saying that Woolwich used luck to win the FA Cup - and not by saying they were a progressive and attacking team, because they weren´t. And of course, that´s why you couldn´t properly comment on Sevilla. I can repeat it for you: they are the 13th best attack in La Liga, with only 15 goals scored in 13 games this season. If you think Lopetegui likes to play a progressive and attacking game, again, it´s not my fault.
So you give Sevilla as an example of a club winning a trophy LAST SEASON but you take into account their goals scored THIS SEASON. Lol. How about you look at their goals scored last season aswell?

Back
Top Bottom