Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Again, reading this thread is cringe worthy stuff.

Every club challenging for the title has dropped points this weekend. We've had the hardest run of games in the league and at worst we lost an unlucky game at anfield, a poor loss to Leicester and a draw against wolves. Hardly shocking stuff. Win our next 2 games and we're right back up there in the title race.

Embarrassing the amount of self pity wank fest going on here. we're 6 points off the title and only city and Liverpool have lost less games than us. Mourinho hasn't even had a full season yet and the squad is far from perfect. At worst we need to improve our game and make slight adjustments. But the results are still there. And we've had some tough fixtures over the Christmas period.

Some fair weathered fans on here. Ain't happy unless there's something to cry about. The season is far from over and no club is consistent. And instead of supporting, we cry on forums about boring football and a few bad results and how we hope mourinho isn't kept on even if he wins a trophy and finishes top 4, and how they hope Poch comes back before the end of the season.

Jokers. Don't know shit about football.

No debating our very hard fixture run. I don't think our rivals have had or will have a harder one all season.

But I think people are just a bit frustrated with winning 1 game in our last 6 in the league and getting 2 points from our last 12 available.

On top of not taking advantage when others have dropped points too.

Long way to go yet though!

Every club challenging for the title has dropped points this weekend. We've had the hardest run of games in the league and at worst we lost an unlucky game at anfield, a poor loss to Leicester and a draw against wolves. Hardly shocking stuff. Win our next 2 games and we're right back up there in the title race.

Embarrassing the amount of self pity wank fest going on here. we're 6 points off the title and only city and Liverpool have lost less games than us. Mourinho hasn't even had a full season yet and the squad is far from perfect. At worst we need to improve our game and make slight adjustments. But the results are still there. And we've had some tough fixtures over the Christmas period.

Some fair weathered fans on here. Ain't happy unless there's something to cry about. The season is far from over and no club is consistent. And instead of supporting, we cry on forums about boring football and a few bad results and how we hope mourinho isn't kept on even if he wins a trophy and finishes top 4, and how they hope Poch comes back before the end of the season.

Excellent post mate

Nailed it

This squad wont achieve anything if we have to keep relying on the following;

Winks
Sissoko

As the driving/creative force in the team. They were both struggling to dominate opponents previously under Poch and our performances were very patchy. Never felt comfortable with them at any point. Yet here we are, still having to rely on them

Sanchez
Dier

To show focus and leadership. Dier may look better against the bigger teams when sitting back but hes really poor at bringing the ball out of defence, he's not good under pressure with the ball either. Therefore hes asked to look for longer passes. Whereas Sanchez, whilst quick, doesn't always read the game well and can't bring the ball out comfortably either.

Lucas

To make the difference in the final third. Can only really play well centrally and even then he just gets in Kane's way. His consistency is dreadful and bar the Ajax game, he hasnt really shown he can turn a game for us.

The others get a pass for now as theyve either done well or are new and need time.

Once Jose has got a completely new MF from when he took over and a CB pairing he completely trusts, I wont be making a call on him to be axed.

Some fans want rid of the Manager and others still think we will win the league. I doubt either will happen. You only change a Manager mid season in a crisis like last season. No fans in the stadium is not helping as the players, Manager and Levy are not getting their views on what is happening. In fact fans would have encouraged the team to be more attacking and thus solve the problem. Unless a disaster hits then Mourinho is here to the end of the season. No point discussing what ifs and wait and see how the season pans out. It is up to Mourinho to change the mentality of the players and he has done so but maybe too much in favour of defending and needs to get us back to how we were playing earlier in the season without the cock ups.

And if they win tomorrow they are the same distance off us as we are off top..

I'm not banging on Arteta's drum. But you can't use an example of "We were top of the league for 2 weeks" as a reason to give Mourinho an extra year if he fails in yet another cup for us.
well, we gave poch 5 years despite winning absolutely nothing , I don't think Levy has even thought about sacking mourinho right now and it's not like he has lost the dressing room yet.

It’s entirely possible that he could lose the dressing room before long. Dele has his buddies (Dier, for instance) and they must be starting to resent Jose on the way he is handling that situation. The calling out of players after the Wolves match won’t have helped things at all. And losing games due to the manager’s tactics will continue to stoke more of that resentment.
However, although I am starting to criticise Jose because I think his base strategy is wrong I am keeping faith with him. He is an intelligent man with a real gift for football management and I am hoping he will conquer his ego and see the real picture.
This man can win things and that is exactly what we need at Spurs right now.

Gosh, some toxic place this place has turned into. I’ve never seen nearly as much activity on this message board when we’re doing well.

No wins in 4, 3 draws and 1 loss, this place completely melts down calling for our manager’s head.

Best stay away if you are not one of the JoseOut crowd.
2 loses and 2 draws = 2pts

This squad wont achieve anything if we have to keep relying on the following;

Winks
Sissoko

As the driving/creative force in the team. They were both struggling to dominate opponents previously under Poch and our performances were very patchy. Never felt comfortable with them at any point. Yet here we are, still having to rely on them

Sanchez
Dier

To show focus and leadership. Dier may look better against the bigger teams when sitting back but hes really poor at bringing the ball out of defence, he's not good under pressure with the ball either. Therefore hes asked to look for longer passes. Whereas Sanchez, whilst quick, doesn't always read the game well and can't bring the ball out comfortably either.

Lucas

To make the difference in the final third. Can only really play well centrally and even then he just gets in Kane's way. His consistency is dreadful and bar the Ajax game, he hasnt really shown he can turn a game for us.

The others get a pass for now as theyve either done well or are new and need time.

Once Jose has got a completely new MF from when he took over and a CB pairing he completely trusts, I wont be making a call on him to be axed.
Aurier?

Just can’t be trusted

So much mediocroty in the squad.

Gazzaniga - get rid
Dier is an awful defender. As soon as people realise this, the better. Othan than being an athletic unit, he has nothing on the best defenders. No brains. Useless passing. Complete liability.
Sanchez not good enough.
Rodon - who knows. Why did we buy him?
Toby, brilliant but wrong side of 30 - 32 in March in fact.
Tanganga - too young and may end up RB if he ever stays fit
Aurrier - utter liability one week, brilliant the next. Who knows which one you'll get.
Davies - bland - he is the footballing equivalent of magnolia paint
Winks - just shocking that he gets a start in the PL. Does so little for the good of the team we may as well play with 10
Sissoko - strong, athletic, fast, rarely injured has no fucking idea what to do with the ball when he gets it.
Moura - Has no idea what to do so runs into trouble deliberately to fall over for the Free Kick which we have NO hope of scoring from
Lamela - 1 in 3 player who is also terribly unreliable
Fernandez - WTF

All of these players need to be upgraded or else we should just accept our place in the league is not in the top 4
They will not improve. We will continue to put in dismal performances. It won't matter who the manager is. We saw enough evidence of this in the last year of Poch, who was as guilty of not upgrading as Levy

So much mediocroty in the squad.

Gazzaniga - get rid
Dier is an awful defender. As soon as people realise this, the better. Othan than being an athletic unit, he has nothing on the best defenders. No brains. Useless passing. Complete liability.
Sanchez not good enough.
Rodon - who knows. Why did we buy him?
Toby, brilliant but wrong side of 30 - 32 in March in fact.
Tanganga - too young and may end up RB if he ever stays fit
Aurrier - utter liability one week, brilliant the next. Who knows which one you'll get.
Davies - bland - he is the footballing equivalent of magnolia paint
Winks - just shocking that he gets a start in the PL. Does so little for the good of the team we may as well play with 10
Sissoko - strong, athletic, fast, rarely injured has no fucking idea what to do with the ball when he gets it.
Moura - Has no idea what to do so runs into trouble deliberately to fall over for the Free Kick which we have NO hope of scoring from
Lamela - 1 in 3 player who is also terribly unreliable
Fernandez - WTF

All of these players need to be upgraded or else we should just accept our place in the league is not in the top 4
They will not improve. We will continue to put in dismal performances. It won't matter who the manager is. We saw enough evidence of this in the last year of Poch, who was as guilty of not upgrading as Levy
I’m sure that Jose will agree with you but it will take time to move some on so he can change things
So give him another 12 months is all I’m saying

I’m sure that Jose will agree with you but it will take time to move some on so he can change things
So give him another 12 months is all I’m saying

We don't need to sack Mourinho until we're 3 years in and still playing Dier, Winks, Sissoko and Moura.
If they're still here in 2022 he, Levy, big Joe, they all need to go.
Squad is fucked, manager doesn't matter.

We don't need to sack Mourinho until we're 3 years in and still playing Dier, Winks, Sissoko and Moura.
If they're still here in 2022 he, Levy, big Joe, they all need to go.
Squad is fucked, manager doesn't matter.
Did you read my last post and others mate?

You’re agreeing with me I think

At least 5 need to go and the sooner the better

You seem to think it's the results that people are complaining about or our position in the table rather than the football being played and the tactics being used - our good position in the table that you hold on to won't last long if we continue to be our own worst enemy in games by sitting so deep and inviting teams on to us, then what? we're as far from 12th as we are 1st iirc and the way we are set up and the way we struggle to create chances means there's more chance of us being in latter come the end of the season than the former, unless we start attacking teams and killing games off, you talk about people not understaning football but from where I'm sitting that's very much those who are focusing on results and just expecting them to continue because...

If you keep making the same mistakes, like we are, then you will get punished.

Last edited:
Did you read my last post and others mate?

You’re agreeing with me I think

At least 5 need to go and the sooner the better

Yep - we're totally on the same page. Anyone calling for Mourinho to go is short sighted. We have a surplus of players who can't play high level football.

If anyone us a glutton for punishment, go back and watch how well the Wolves players pass the ball. One touch, bang, one touch, bang. They know where their team mates are and they move the ball and the players around.

We on the other hand do 1 of 2 things - lose it within 5 passes (most of which take too long) or pass it 30 times and do nothing with it.

That's on the players. That's on the Wink's of this world, who look for the easiest pass. That's on the Sissoko's and others who just don't seem to know what to do with the ball.
You can't coach them. They will always do what they do.

You seem to think it's the results that people are complaining about or our position in the table rather than the football being played and the tactics being used - our good position in the table that you hold on to won't last long if we continue to be our own worst enemy in games by sitting so deep and inviting teams on to us, then what? we're as far from 12th as we are 1st iirc and the way we are set up and the way we struggle to create chances means there's more chance of us being in latter come the end of the season than the former, unless we start attacking teams and killing games off, you talk about people not understaning football but from where I'm sitting that's very much those who are focusing on results and just expecting them to continue because...

If you keep making the same mistakes, like we are, then you will get punished.

You seem to think our players are capable of a style of football that they're clearly not.
The only 2 genuine footballers in our starting 11 against Wolves were Ndombele and Kane. Son is goo d at taking chances in front of goal. But give him the ball far enough away from it and 9/10 times he's gonna give it away.
Kane can't pass to himself and Ndombele can't seem to last a whole match.
Almost everyone else on the pitch is poor at passing, poor-average at dribbling and completely inept at movement and tactics.
If you doubt this, go back and watch these games

18/19 season
Burnley 2-1 Tottenham 23/02/2019
Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham 27/03.2019
Tottenham 1-1 Woolwich 02/03/2019
Southampton 2-1 Tottenham 09/03/2019
Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham 31/03.2019
2 wins
City 1-0 Tottenham 20/04/2019
1 win
Tottenham 0-1 West Ham 27/04/2019
Bournemouth 1-0 Tottenham 04/05/2019

19/20 season
Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle 25/08/2019
Leicester 2-1 Tottenham 21/09/2019
Brighton 3-0 Tottenham 05/10/2019
Tottenham 1-1 Watford 19/10/2019
Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham 27/10/2019
Everton 1-1 Tottenham 03/11/2019
Tottenham 1-1 Sheffield United 09/11/2019

As you may have guessed, those are all Pochettino games. Every last one of them was pitiful. Painful to watch. Turgid. Whether we had 20% or 80% we were utterly shit.
The vast majority of players then are the same as now.

There is literally no point at all aiming abuse at Mourinho. The squad is shit.

Buuuuut....you can have a solid defence and play an entertaining brand of footie no? Poch managed it for a couple of seasons, pep does it, klopp does it. I don't think strong defence precludes good football -it is a good foundation granted but against wolves we sat back for 89 mins and paid the price - and not for the 1st time....mourinho can blame the players for not doing as he asked but....really?!? I'm sure none of them wanna defend forn99 mins and create very little at the other end...
Poch had a younger toby and jan to play a higher line. He had walker and rose in great form. And 2 animals in dembele and wanyama. We dont have that. Guardiola still cant get his team to defend despite 750 mill to sort it. Klopp spent 130 million on van dyk and alisson to sort his defence out. And klopp was there 3 years before they finally got it together.
Its widely known mourinho wants pacier centre halves to play a higher line. Our one pacy one is a liability. Our right backs are nut jobs.
Do i like the way we are playing fuck no. Will i wait till end of season to judge? Yes. If we havent a trophy and top 4 then we can say this isnt good enough.
We tried the other way long enough. Lets get a trophy any way we can and build on it

Back
Top Bottom