Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

hes not as fast as most people think he is. as said, hes getting himself into good positions which is positive but if the end product is no good thats kind of irrelevant. needs to work on his shooting big time! that one earlier where hes spun and smashed it into row z epitomised his finishing since hes been here.

He's good at everything that isn't passing or shooting, so he's our best RW, but he isn't great right now, he has to improve.
Bergwijn is good enough to get in positions with his movement and passing to fuck up his scoring opportunities. The goals will come.
These sum it up rather well. Even if he's fluffed his lines in front of goal a few times, his movement and overall play (i.e. including the defensive side) are good and the fact is that he's usurped the José favourite of Lucas (going off team selections from last season) in the starting lineup.

Football's weird. Some players can seemingly join the PL and hit the ground running whereas others (especially from weaker leagues like the Eredivisie) take time to adjust. With Bergwijn it feels like he does the vast majority of what we want well and then it doesn't quite come off at the end; but if he clicks as we've seen with a lot of players after a year or so in the PL then I think we'll be singing his praises.

Ironically, his fantastic goal in his debut against Man City might actually have been more of a curse than a blessing as it set the expectation levels amongst the fanbase way too high in the short term.

At minute 5:10 Alasdair Gold asks about Bergwijn. Jose explains he's been "acumulating physical problems" while playing, and for that reason he hasn't been able to train normally with the team.

Despite that, Bergwijn is showing in every opportunity what a good team player he is. I think we should give him more credit for what he's doing well, and more support in relation to his mistakes in front of goal.

At minute 5:10 Alasdair Gold asks about Bergwijn. Jose explains he's been "acumulating physical problems" while playing, and for that reason he hasn't been able to train normally with the team.

Despite that, Bergwijn is showing in every opportunity what a good team player he is. I think we should give him more credit for what he's doing well, and more support in relation to his mistakes in front of goal.

Does a lot of things well except finish/score. Maybe he needs to take penalties to get on the score sheet.

hes not as fast as most people think he is. as said, hes getting himself into good positions which is positive but if the end product is no good thats kind of irrelevant. needs to work on his shooting big time! that one earlier where hes spun and smashed it into row z epitomised his finishing since hes been here.

These sum it up rather well. Even if he's fluffed his lines in front of goal a few times, his movement and overall play (i.e. including the defensive side) are good and the fact is that he's usurped the José favourite of Lucas (going off team selections from last season) in the starting lineup.

Football's weird. Some players can seemingly join the PL and hit the ground running whereas others (especially from weaker leagues like the Eredivisie) take time to adjust. With Bergwijn it feels like he does the vast majority of what we want well and then it doesn't quite come off at the end; but if he clicks as we've seen with a lot of players after a year or so in the PL then I think we'll be singing his praises.

Ironically, his fantastic goal in his debut against Man City might actually have been more of a curse than a blessing as it set the expectation levels amongst the fanbase way too high in the short term.
Was gonna say this pretty much.... he started SO well in his first game against City, he was expected to do it every week.... his two misses up at Anfield last month were clearly similar chances, and he tried to execute both in similar ways.... that didn't work out, but you can clearly see it's his 'thing' to take those chances on....

...look at Winks' debut goal against West Ham.... I thought we had the next Beckham!

Likewise Ndombele scoring on HIS debut v Villa, then seemed to struggle for a year, only NOW showing his worth!

Maybe a poor debut (like Holjberg's) lowers expectation and gives you a bit of time to adjust??

I like Stevie B, I think he likes to try and do the best thing. He tries to score, he tries to attack, but he puts in a shift defensively when required.

Seen some talk about us potentially letting Moura go and fans being unhappy about it, preferring him to Bergwijn.
I don't see it myself. Moura only really shines in games against lower level opposition these days. In every PL game he seems to take the easy option of looking for a crowd of defenders to run into and go down.

I like Stevie B, I think he likes to try and do the best thing. He tries to score, he tries to attack, but he puts in a shift defensively when required.

Seen some talk about us potentially letting Moura go and fans being unhappy about it, preferring him to Bergwijn.
I don't see it myself. Moura only really shines in games against lower level opposition these days. In every PL game he seems to take the easy option of looking for a crowd of defenders to run into and go down.
as far as our RW options are concerned it's not a contest right now. Bergwijn so far ahead of the rest.

Only Lamela offers a bit of utility as a shithouser supreme at the end of games. Bale and Moura are non-entities.

Still surprised he’s getting so much stick. How many times over the years has a player needed a season or two to get in the swing of things. Most obvious comparison is Son. Give him time. There’s a few areas on the pitch that we need to improve but RW is not in the top 3
Exactly, Bale and Modric come to mind as well.

And for old gits like my self Chris Waddle didn't exactly pull up trees when he first come to the club.

Well... I was also quite critical of him previously.
And it is still alarming that he could not score a goal to save his life - make no mistake, despite instructions and everything - he absoutely should have scored in both - Pool and Leeds game.

But Mou tried some alternatives ... and in those Leicester + Wolves games (Stevie did not start in either of them) we looked even worse, let's face it!

And alternatives to him are not really better.
Moura also works hard and runs a lot, but his first touch sees the ball bounce 2 meters away from him. And his mid- to long range passing and decision making are worse then Bergwijns.
Lamela is injured + even when fit, he is not as fast and strong as Bergwijn.
Bale ... well... unfortunately is just invisible and hardly is noticable on the field.

Basically all in all Bergwijn is not doing enough all in all (player in front 3 HAS TO score goals - literally, it is not an opinion, it's a fact) alternatives to him are worse. And alternatives to him are also older, so considering future potential I would like to see him getting time over others.
But I would not be totally against sending Bale back, selling Coco and buying someone who can actually run, pass and score goals.

Have Bergwijn as doubtful but do not mention Lamela.
PlayerReasonFurther DetailPotential ReturnConditionStatus
Gareth BaleCalf/Shin/Heel InjuryDec 29: "I wouldn't say it's serious but I'd say a few weeks."10/01/2021NoneRuled OutTRACK
Matt DohertySuspendedSending Off - Two Yellow Cards10/01/2021NoneRuled OutTRACK
Giovani Lo CelsoThigh InjuryDec 24: "Gio no, he will not be fit. I don't know [when he will return], he will not be playing in this period of Christmas and New Year for sure."No Return DateCurrently Being AssessedRuled OutTRACK
Steven BergwijnGroin/Hip/Pelvic InjuryJan 02: "I don't know if you could see in the last 10 minutes he was touching his groin, he was touching his adductor. He's suffering a little bit."No Return DateCurrently Being Assessed25%

Have Bergwijn as doubtful but do not mention Lamela.
PlayerReasonFurther DetailPotential ReturnConditionStatus
Gareth BaleCalf/Shin/Heel InjuryDec 29: "I wouldn't say it's serious but I'd say a few weeks."10/01/2021NoneRuled OutTRACK
Matt DohertySuspendedSending Off - Two Yellow Cards10/01/2021NoneRuled OutTRACK
Giovani Lo CelsoThigh InjuryDec 24: "Gio no, he will not be fit. I don't know [when he will return], he will not be playing in this period of Christmas and New Year for sure."No Return DateCurrently Being AssessedRuled OutTRACK
Steven BergwijnGroin/Hip/Pelvic InjuryJan 02: "I don't know if you could see in the last 10 minutes he was touching his groin, he was touching his adductor. He's suffering a little bit."No Return DateCurrently Being Assessed25%

Bergwijn's ineligible.

lol

usjt6mcxzj961.jpg

Hope he starts tomorrow, Bergwijn has plenty of quality. We can all see that a third major g/a contributor is badly needed, and if Dele isn't going to see the field I think Bergwijn is best equipped.

Back
Top Bottom