Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was definitely worth it giving it a shot though, unfortunately it didn't work out the way everyone wanted it to.
If you paid attention to the Real Madrid fans, or watched his games since the CL final goal, you would have been very nervous about bringing him in. The odds of this working out were very very low.

I pretty much got banned from here for pointing out it was not smart to bring in a player who relied so heavily on his pace after so many injuries, had won everything there was to win, hadn't played for roughly a year and was openly saying he had no passion for football anymore.

It wasn't worth it even then, but obviously no one wanted to hear it. The 10m or so committed towards Bales wages for the year could have easily gone towards someone like Eze.

I'm sure I'll get a bunch of "X" against this post, but the reality is that I was one of a few concerned more with the club's needs than simple personal nostalgia. Otherwise, I'd ask to bring back Dembele and Eriksen too.

Let's wait until the end of the season before judging if this was a good signing. We've not seen him starting EPL games with Kane, Son yet.

What is he scores the winning goal in the cup final?

What if he turns around the result of 2 games in the EPL - 6 points could be the difference between 5th and 1st this season.

10m wages could turn out to be money well spent.

Now, how about GLC - That's a disaster signing.

Last edited:
If Kane gets injured (touchwood and hope that never happens this season), Son-Bale-Vinicius would be the only hope Spurs would have of scoring goals.

Quite short-sighted to criticize his loan deal just because he hasn't set PL alight..if he were still that kind of a player then the trophy-buying clubs like ManCity or ManU would've taken him in a flash

If you paid attention to the Real Madrid fans, or watched his games since the CL final goal, you would have been very nervous about bringing him in. The odds of this working out were very very low.

I pretty much got banned from here for pointing out it was not smart to bring in a player who relied so heavily on his pace after so many injuries, had won everything there was to win, hadn't played for roughly a year and was openly saying he had no passion for football anymore.

It wasn't worth it even then, but obviously no one wanted to hear it. The 10m or so committed towards Bales wages for the year could have easily gone towards someone like Eze.

I'm sure I'll get a bunch of "X" against this post, but the reality is that I was one of a few concerned more with the club's needs than simple personal nostalgia. Otherwise, I'd ask to bring back Dembele and Eriksen too.
You’re talking as if it hasn’t worked out though

The 24-year-old guy on a long term contract who carried us last year and has some injury troubles this year: disaster.

The 31-year-old guy nearly half the way through his loan while doing fuck all: we need to give him more time.

Interesting.

Yeah 3 goals in 500 minutes what a disaster

For the salary he is being paid his loan has been very poor value so far. 3 goals in 500 minutes against very poor teams is not a good return for a player we all hoped would still be able to play at a high level.

So far we are seeing exactly why he didn't play for Real Madrid in the last 18 months, fragile fitness and low intensity on the pitch. He looks like a 31 year old who has won everything and just wants to relax.

Still plenty of time for him to turn it around but he's looking like our version of Willian at Woolwich.

For the salary he is being paid his loan has been very poor value so far. 3 goals in 500 minutes against very poor teams is not a good return for a player we all hoped would still be able to play at a high level.

So far we are seeing exactly why he didn't play for Real Madrid in the last 18 months, fragile fitness and low intensity on the pitch. He looks like a 31 year old who has won everything and just wants to relax.

Still plenty of time for him to turn it around but he's looking like our version of Willian at Woolwich.
He can’t play well against big teams if he’s not played can he

You say plenty of time to turn it around, then what’s the problem. He’s been injured, barely played for two years and there’s going to be set backs.

He can’t play well against big teams if he’s not played can he

You say plenty of time to turn it around, then what’s the problem. He’s been injured, barely played for two years and there’s going to be set backs.

There's plenty of time left but there has also been plenty of time for him to show something. Time to reach his best is one thing, but after 4 months he is still behind Lucas and Lamela in the pecking order. It's going to be very difficult for him.

The 24-year-old guy on a long term contract who carried us last year and has some injury troubles this year: disaster.

The 31-year-old guy nearly half the way through his loan while doing fuck all: we need to give him more time.

Interesting.

Lol.

If any player carried us last year; it was Sissoko.

Bale wasn't signed to play week in, week out. Club probably expected 20-25 games from him and for him to make a big impact from the subs bench when we are chasing a goal.

lo Celso should be the heartbeat of our midfield and a bang on starter. He has missed a massive 104 days through injury (that number is expected to rise to 120 with his current injury). Bale has been out injured less than Lo Celso.

There's plenty of time left but there has also been plenty of time for him to show something. Time to reach his best is one thing, but after 4 months he is still behind Lucas and Lamela in the pecking order. It's going to be very difficult for him.
Fair points, won’t be easy but I was never expecting him to start every week

Bit suprised mourinho got this one wrong (so far). A already peaked bale Doesn't seem a good fit for a hard working defensive mourinho team at all. You can't get them all right though. So far hojberg & reg been great signings. Doherty & bale disappointing. Vincinus & rodon looked decent in what little game time they have had. Hart has being a reliable back up.
Hard to predict. Id have thought Doherty & bale would have done better than hart & hojberg.

Bit suprised mourinho got this one wrong (so far). A already peaked bale Doesn't seem a good fit for a hard working defensive mourinho team at all. You can't get them all right though. So far hojberg & reg been great signings. Doherty & bale disappointing. Vincinus & rodon looked decent in what little game time they have had. Hart has being a reliable back up.
Hard to predict. Id have thought Doherty & bale would have done better than hart & hojberg.

Bale was a Levy signing, just a bonus punt. If it works out then great, if not we sell some shirts before sending him back. Same thing with Alex Morgan and the women's team.

I'm sure Mourinho was happy to add another player with experience of winning the biggest trophies but he was warning straight away that Bale had physical problems and a mental issue of dwelling on previous injuries.

Let's just hope that Bale can chip in with a few goals in the cup matches, where he will get plenty of football. It's very clear when you look at the intensity of the PL that he is not going to be a regular player in that competition. He simply doesn't have the legs to hurt PL defences. It's a telling sign that his 3 goals have been a penalty and two headers.

He is not capable of bullying people with the ball at his feet or regularly blasting it into the top corner anymore. After so many seasons being utterly explosive it's normal that at 31 he is a diminished player. But he still has his technical quality so there is still a role for him.

Let's wait until the end of the season before judging if this was a good signing. We've not seen him starting EPL games with Kane, Son yet.

What is he scores the winning goal in the cup final?

What if he turns around the result of 2 games in the EPL - 6 points could be the difference between 5th and 1st this season.

10m wages could turn out to be money well spent.

What if GLC scores the winning goal in the cup final?

Or if he turns around the result of 2 games in the EPL?

Still a disaster?

Back
Top Bottom