Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think this argument really works. If I tell you Henderson is a better player than Winks (which he is).

You can simply reply, "oh well Henderson has had more time to improve".

These are just excuses for an average player.
Winks is an average player, and I’ve not seen anyone claim otherwise though.
Some people are happy for our average players to have good games though and show improvement.

That’s the main difference here

People seem to think that no top club should have any average players in their squad so he should be shipped off despite playing well.

Maybe you should check Chelsea’s squad.
Difference is their average players cost 70M

Last edited:
I for one is really happy for him to be among the first 13-14 players. He bleeds Spurs and at his best is a fine player. Happy with his performances of late.

I for one is really happy for him to be among the first 13-14 players. He bleeds Spurs and at his best is a fine player. Happy with his performances of late.
You also know that his attitude is brilliant; if it's pointed out to him that he's not good enough in some part of his game, he'll absolutely bust a gut to improve himself. I happen to think that Skipp might well come back and get himself above Winks in the pecking order. He too seems to have an attitude that can't be faulted.

The guys running the Academy are either good at spotting kids with the right mental attitude, or imbuing their charges with it.

You also know that his attitude is brilliant; if it's pointed out to him that he's not good enough in some part of his game, he'll absolutely bust a gut to improve himself. I happen to think that Skipp might well come back and get himself above Winks in the pecking order. He too seems to have an attitude that can't be faulted.

The guys running the Academy are either good at spotting kids with the right mental attitude, or imbuing their charges with it.
If you look at the games that Winks has played this season. He has attempted a lot more "positive passes" as Jose calls them compared to last season. He's trying to play passes up the field and be another way for us to progress the ball. Which tells me that he is responding to the feedback that Jose has given him the right way.

We need options for getting the ball up the field aside from our CBs playing quarterback. Especially if Toby is no longer nailed on since he is the only one with really good distribution out of all of them.

I'd say Cituy don't have anyone as average as Winks in the main matchday squad.
Harry Winks is a better player than Darren Fletcher was imho. There is a place for home grown players that will give their all for the club. It's not like he's a Jamie O'Hara or Stephen Clemence. He's very good on his day and seems like a pro. There are many in the squad I would rather sell before him.

Harry Winks is a better player than Darren Fletcher was imho. There is a place for home grown players that will give their all for the club. It's not like he's a Jamie O'Hara or Stephen Clemence. He's very good on his day and seems like a pro. There are many in the squad I would rather sell before him.

Obviously it's opinion but I'm not sure I agree with any of that. Fletcher was at Man United at their best for 12 years, played in over 200 games and scored 18 goals. He's by no means another Roy Keane but ge was good enough to get regular playing time for multiple premier league winning teams. He was most likely very good at something Fergie liked. I can't say Winks is very good at anything. Jack of all trades and a master of none is the best description.
Crap at tackling. A real liability in fact.
Too easily muscled off.
Not prolific in goals or assists or even key passes
From memory, his interception and header success rate is low.

I can't keep doing it, but pretty sure I found Dele topped Winks in every stat, be it defensive or attacking. It wasn't even close. And Dele is being totally frozen out.

I guess it depends how highly you rate the likes of Mahrez, Mendy and Ake I guess.

Mahrez and Winks can't be talked about in the same context. Come on. He was tearing the premier league apart at Leicester.
He started for City yesterday, got a goal and an assist.
Mendy was on the bench. I confess I know little about him so I'll not go into that lol
Ake not even on the bench and I said "their matchday squad" IE the 18 men at a game.

Obviously it's opinion but I'm not sure I agree with any of that. Fletcher was at Man United at their best for 12 years, played in over 200 games and scored 18 goals. He's by no means another Roy Keane but ge was good enough to get regular playing time for multiple premier league winning teams. He was most likely very good at something Fergie liked. I can't say Winks is very good at anything. Jack of all trades and a master of none is the best description.
Crap at tackling. A real liability in fact.
Too easily muscled off.
Not prolific in goals or assists or even key passes
From memory, his interception and header success rate is low.

I can't keep doing it, but pretty sure I found Dele topped Winks in every stat, be it defensive or attacking. It wasn't even close. And Dele is being totally frozen out.
I never said he was top class, but is a decent enough player that can do a job. He is far away from a liability in my opinion. He has made mistakes as others did too (West Ham), but I think he's a player with a good and positive attitude who is willing to learn. We have other problems.

I think the easiest way to solve this is to agree to disagree.

I mean he's a liability with his tackling specifically. He's dangerous. He could easily have had a number of red cards and, given our ropey defence, I don't like players giving away free kicks in our half.

We’ve played 94 PL games since the start of 2018/19 season.

Winks has participated in 65 and we’ve lost 18 times that’s he’s featured.

He played 90 minutes 34 times

Of those 34 full games we lost 9 and won 19

Find a new scapegoat

We’ve played 94 PL games since the start of 2018/19 season.

Winks has participated in 65 and we’ve lost 18 times that’s he’s featured.

He played 90 minutes 34 times

Of those 34 full games we lost 9 and won 19

Find a new scapegoat
Of the games he hasn't featured, what do those stats look like,...?

Back
Top Bottom