Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He looks like a guy that thinks he shouldnt be at a bigger club than Wolves, he looks worried, in awe of better players and toothless.
I would prefer an arrogant bastard in every department
Honestly, I feel for him a bit. He's a decent player who worked his way through the divisions, wasn't a highly touted youth prospect, kept improving his game and found himself in a real hot streak when a good coach came in and found an effective use for his attributes (heading, back post runs, following his pass for a one-two inside the full back). Scored lots of big goals for Wolves and helped to solidify them as a PL team.

You can't blame him for jumping at the opportunity that was presented to him, but it really doesn't seem as if he's cut out to play at the level we aspire to, not at right back, and certainly not as left wingback. It's a shame, because he didn't actually start too badly against Everton despite a poor team performance. Poor on Jose for wanting him, and our scouting for not sussing out that the guy was just a pretty good system player.

Honestly, I feel for him a bit. He's a decent player who worked his way through the divisions, wasn't a highly touted youth prospect, kept improving his game and found himself in a real hot streak when a good coach came in and found an effective use for his attributes (heading, back post runs, following his pass for a one-two inside the full back). Scored lots of big goals for Wolves and helped to solidify them as a PL team.

You can't blame him for jumping at the opportunity that was presented to him, but it really doesn't seem as if he's cut out to play at the level we aspire to, not at right back, and certainly not as left wingback. It's a shame, because he didn't actually start too badly against Everton despite a poor team performance. Poor on Jose for wanting him, and our scouting for not sussing out that the guy was just a pretty good system player.
This is 100% on the money. I actually feel for him he is so badly out of his depth that its not even his fault.

We’ve seen enough evidence over the years of players having ropey first seasons then turn it round.
Whilst I don’t expect him to become Son/NDombele effective, I am more than prepared to hope that by next year he’s a better back up.
Also, he’s not had minutes as a right wing back which was the position he excelled at.
Hopefully sign someone like Lampety in the summer to replace Aurier. He’ll then clearly be back up for next season

If he played with this amount of effort for Spurs as he did for Wolves he would be starting over Aurier each week. But he is a true Woolwich supporter and should be kicked out of this club first thing in the summer.

I think we could move him back to Wolves.

Semedo does not seem to be working out there and Nuno knows that Doherty can work in his system. Not sure what kind of loss we would have to take but we didn't spend much to get and at this point who cares we need to upgrade the position so move him out and bring in someone who can do the job.

This guy had COVID not so long ago.
Its known to possibly have long term respiratory effects after infection.
Whilst he should be ok as a top level athlete, fine margins mean everything at the top level.
I think we will see him kick on later in this season.

This guy had COVID not so long ago.
Its known to possibly have long term respiratory effects after infection.
Whilst he should be ok as a top level athlete, fine margins mean everything at the top level.
I think we will see him kick on later in this season.
I hope so. I'm all for giving a player a full season to break in but so far he's offered us very little. When I see he's starting I feel a bit nervous.

Sacrifice the right back! Get the next cross up on the hill for a poor performance on his far worse side against a team that won the league by 18 points last season and have a squad with far more investment in it on the pitch and in wages than us.

Anyone sell me a pitchfork or torch?

13 wins and 3 draws and 1 loss with Matt starting at RB.
With Aurier starting at RB 7-5-4.

14 wins, 6 draws, 4 losses with Kane up top.

5 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss with Carlos Vinicius up top.

:harrysmile:

12 wins, 7 draws, 5 losses with Lloris in goal

8 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses with Hart in goal

:harrysmile:

Back
Top Bottom