In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dear lord I actually threw up in my mouth at the thought of Gerrard as our coach. I don't want anyone tainted with Liverpool any where near us. Nagglesmann with Ragnik as D.O.F has always been my preference. Followed by Potter( there's something about Potter that makes me think he will end up very big indeed.) But he needs a Southampton sized job first. Gerrard would be openly waiting to replace Klopp and tapping up Scarlet and Son.
loooooooooool

He actually might be it and it terrifies me. Him setting up a new LFC dynasty or him winning with us ala Dalglish at Blackburn?

Besides plenty of guys who've been associated with one club end up working elsewhere. Antonio Conte is doing that right now!

is he legit?

(the author not nagelsmann)
As I understand it Falk is very connected to Bayern. But his links in other clubs are more hit and miss. But he is one of the bigger names in German football journalism.

Worth listening to but if it isn't Bayern related best to not take it as 100% true.

Well because within every club there are strong and weak points.

For me what keeps Southampton respectable are Hassenhuttl's brave coaching, Ings being an excellent goal getter and good solid players like Vestegaard, KWP and JWP. They don't have the player quality to be consistently good for long stretches.

Do you judge Spurs by the level of a Harry Kane and the potential/talent of an N'Dombele or do you judge Spurs by the level of a Matt Doherty?
I know there are strong and weak in every club. Just don’t think Hassenhutl can be regarded as a strength for Southampton. His sides go through long dips in form, ship a lot of goals and have been pumped 9-0 twice in two years. I’m not expecting Southampton to be consistently gold, but I don’t expect them to be consistently bad either. What you call brave coaching, I call not having a clue how to set a team up to not concede.

Just don’t get the hype around the guy.

My ideal situation would be to win the League Cup and Europa League then bring Naglesmann in and with him Sabitzer. That would set us up lovely for next season.

If we win 2 titles this season then Jose is not getting sacked.

If he comes below 6th he might. It would be hard for Jose to justify the poor league performance and crap football and it’s a one shot only chance to get a manager who can take the club forward long term at that level.

If he comes below 6th he might. It would be hard for Jose to justify the poor league performance and crap football and it’s a one shot only chance to get a manager who can take the club forward long term at that level.
If he wins the Europa League he has secured CL football without depending on the league. Which means that the minimum target or European football next season has been met.

There is literally 0% chance that Jose would be sacked off of winning 1, let alone 2 trophies this season.

By what measure? CL knockouts 2 seasons running, semi final last season. Title race this season.

That's improvement.

They had done none of these under Rangnick or Hassenhuttl.
The measure of quality is the league. In the previous three seasons, RBL finished 2nd, 6th, and 3rd, Nagelsmann finsihed 3rd last season with same number of points - definitely not an improvement. No guarantees he would finish any higher this season.

As for cup competitions, he has done well to get them to the knockout in the CL, but has been worse in the DFB Pokal. His recent tactical blunder against a struggling liverpool is not reassuring. Still there is too much luck involved in cup competitions to use as a clear sign of improvement.

I know there are strong and weak in every club. Just don’t think Hassenhutl can be regarded as a strength for Southampton. His sides go through long dips in form, ship a lot of goals and have been pumped 9-0 twice in two years. I’m not expecting Southampton to be consistently gold, but I don’t expect them to be consistently bad either. What you call brave coaching, I call not having a clue how to set a team up to not concede.

Just don’t get the hype around the guy.
last season was the Best Southampton league performance since 2014-16 where they finished 6th and 7th.

In that period they had Mane, Van Dijk, Tadic, Pelle, Schneiderlin, Wanyama. Alderwireld etc.

Southampton have haemorrhaged an awful lot of talent.

He's done well overall and the 9-0's are an aberration to me. Early red cards in both games and everything that could go wrong did.

If he wins the Europa League he has secured CL football without depending on the league. Which means that the minimum target or European football next season has been met.

There is literally 0% chance that Jose would be sacked off of winning 1, let alone 2 trophies this season.
then Levy is an idiot. the league is your bread and butter and it would help Jose save face too if he walked away with a trophy ending the Spurs drought.

this is like saying don't buy Sancho because Lucas Moura scored the cup winning goal.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that he is ruthless enough to know when an opportunity arises. He wouldn’t get a second shot.

then Levy is an idiot. the league is your bread and butter and it would help Jose save face too if he walked away with a trophy ending the Spurs drought.

this is like saying don't buy Sancho because Lucas Moura scored the cup winning goal.
Difference being you can sell Lucas to another club and replace him with Sancho. You cannot sell Jose's contract to another club.

Managers get fired if they don't meet their expectations. Jose winning two titles in a season would make him our most successful coach on the trophy front since the General. He's not getting canned off of 2 trophies unless he and Levy has a massive falling out behind the scenes.

Why wouldn’t we get a second shot? Where else is he going to go in the summer?

If he stays and then the following season another bigger club come along he could choose them instead, alternatively this summer he may want to make a move and we ain’t ready. I’d rather not miss out, I love the football he plays and how he seems to improve teams.

So that’s Potter’s brilliant brand of attacking football being found out by Hodgkin and Allardyce in the space of a few days.

That’d be enough to get him sacked if he were here.

I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough, I don't care if the the Portuguese Mike Bassett wins the CC EL Davis Cup Calcutta Cup and World series. I want him gone for the ugly neolithic period football we play under him.

Difference being you can sell Lucas to another club and replace him with Sancho. You cannot sell Jose's contract to another club.

Managers get fired if they don't meet their expectations. Jose winning two titles in a season would make him our most successful coach on the trophy front since the General. He's not getting canned off of 2 trophies unless he and Levy has a massive falling out behind the scenes.
He should because the league performance has been abhorrent.

what if he loses both finals?

Back
Top Bottom