In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

don't be flippant. I've outlined the criteria many times. Neither Moyes or Hodgson meet the standard.
Sorry. I thought the flippant door was open when you came down from your lofty intellectual perch to tell me that clubs have both strengths and weaknesses.

Consider me admonished. And let’s agree to disagree too.

like I said is it his fault his strikers can't finish?

he pulled down Jose's pants, tbh.
You can blame an odd game or the occasional bad result on individual errors.
But when you start blaming a virtual whole season on them, where you only have 26 points from 25 games, I think the argument falls apart.

His next job is more likely to be back in the Championship than at a so called big 6 club

Last edited:
You can blame an odd game or the occasional bad result on individual errors.
But when you start blaming a virtual whole season on them, where you only have 26 points from 25 games, I think you've lost the argument.

His next job is more likely to be back in the Championship than at a so called big 6 club
I believe there's a difference between strikers not being able to finish and defenders making errors.

Connolly and Maupay consistently missing open goals is different to an team looking like a disorganised messed moving forward and crumbling under defensive pressure that you look to invite.

One is more about player quality, the other you can limit to extent with better coaching.

Sorry. I thought the flippant door was open when you came down from your lofty intellectual perch to tell me that clubs have both strengths and weaknesses.

Consider me admonished. And let’s agree to disagree too.
You said Hassenhuttl should be doing better, I explained why I believe they shouldn't (you didn't address my point about Southampton haemorrhaging talent.)

You said Hassenhuttl should be doing better, I explained why I believe they shouldn't (you didn't address my point about Southampton haemorrhaging talent.)
Ok, last one then. Don’t really have the inclination to be on here arguing all day.

Yes, they’ve sold a few players. But I still think they have a squad that should finish around tenth. They are presently 14th, after being top a while back. Their drop in form is worse than ours. And I doubt their fans are enjoying the football any more than ours are.

I just can’t get behind a plan that involves getting rid of a guy who has won so many titles but is going through a slump and replacing him for someone who hasn’t and is in a worse slump.

Just don’t rate him. If he ends up here, I’ll support him. If he goes somewhere else and wins stuff, I’ll eat humble pie. As it is, I’d suggest we are a lot more likely to see him in the Swiss League in a few years as we are lifting the Champions League with Barcelona.

Cutting to the chase..if Jose can't get rid of "Spursy" who can?
Our results this season:

Probably a decent manager could. Not sure why we would expect a manager that is past it and unwilling to adapt to what works would get rid of anything or do anything positive.

Ok, last one then. Don’t really have the inclination to be on here arguing all day.

Yes, they’ve sold a few players. But I still think they have a squad that should finish around tenth. They are presently 14th, after being top a while back. Their drop in form is worse than ours. And I doubt their fans are enjoying the football any more than ours are.

I just can’t get behind a plan that involves getting rid of a guy who has won so many titles but is going through a slump and replacing him for someone who hasn’t and is in a worse slump.

Just don’t rate him. If he ends up here, I’ll support him. If he goes somewhere else and wins stuff, I’ll eat humble pie. As it is, I’d suggest we are a lot more likely to see him in the Swiss League in a few years as we are lifting the Champions League with Barcelona.
i don't think we are arguing, i've enjoyed the exchange!

Who knows about his future? even if he's as bad as you say, Jose has put the bar in hell IMO.

Yes he's decorated but his current performance is terrible. he doesn't get to hide behind achievements from 5-15 years ago with financially more powerful clubs with me.

what's the ideal stepping stone between Brighton and Spurs though?

because if I said we should buy bissouma, (IMO their best player) then you wouldn't be saying that.

Poch, Redknapp and Jol, Spurs was the biggest job that they had all taken on. They were the best for us.
He’s managed pony teams and one in a pony league. Whilst his time at both has meant it’s enabled him showcased his ability for the style of football he’s implemented and has Brighton competing against most teams in the PL I feel there is a massive difference of expectation at our Club, something he wouldn’t have come close to.

In terms of that stepping stone club, it could have been argued it was us, but even Poch took Southampton to 8th(?), Jol was already here. Plus Spurs have clearly moved on from those days (obviously not under the dinosaur) especially off the pitch, we don’t need to take such a gamble.

Naglesmann is still a gamble, at Spurs he will be without a set-up he hasn’t worked in before, new league (both Pep & Klopp had to adjust to their surroundings) and of course he’s still a very young coach but he’s competing at the pointy end of the bundesliga and had taken his side to CL semi-final and this season looks good again.

He’s managed pony teams and one in a pony league. Whilst his time at both has meant it’s enabled him showcased his ability for the style of football he’s implemented and has Brighton competing against most teams in the PL I feel there is a massive difference of expectation at our Club, something he wouldn’t have come close to.

In terms of that stepping stone club, it could have been argued it was us, but even Poch took Southampton to 8th(?), Jol was already here. Plus Spurs have clearly moved on from those days (obviously not under the dinosaur) especially off the pitch, we don’t need to take such a gamble.

Naglesmann is still a gamble, at Spurs he will be without a set-up he hasn’t worked in before, new league (both Pep & Klopp had to adjust to their surroundings) and of course he’s still a very young coach but he’s competing at the pointy end of the bundesliga and had taken his side to CL semi-final and this season looks good again.
agree about the expectations. however the underlying numbers at Brighton are good. They create plenty of chances and are solid defensively. there's only so much a coach can do with players.

Poch had a far better team at Southampton I reckon (and IMO he's just a fantastic coach and it's going to be hard to get someone that good again). Collins and Maupay wouldn't even be average championship strikers IMO.

priority though is that Mourinho can't be allowed to carry on after this season. He just cannot.

Back
Top Bottom