Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

yeah let’s just sell our best players as they peak and make the task of actually winning a trophy exponentially harder.

yeah no problem mate. Great input

Son will be 29 this summer. What we are seeing is most likely than not his peak. After this will be the inevitable decline. But you think the chances of winning trophies will be better after he declines?

Keeping old players is not going to win us anything. The best thing to do is sell them and buy younger players that can extend our window of opportunity.

When we have a squad of top quality young players, and/or we have the funds to compete with the top spenders in Europe, then we can talk of milking the entire career of our top players and not worry about sell on value.

El Magnifico has admitted he’s not a Spurs fan.
KaneDomBadBoy KaneDomBadBoy is a moron who wanted Son dropped for Lamela.

After insulting Son yesterday for not scoring enough, now they’re fantasising about the idea of him being sold.

Big clubs keep their best players, and then gain extra revenue from higher league table finishes, trophies, and European qualification; which they reinvest.
Selling clubs sell their best players and just become feeders to other top teams. They lose out from revenue of European qualification but gain money from player sales.

I’d prefer Spurs to at least aim for the big club mentality.

El Magnifico has admitted he’s not a Spurs fan.
KaneDomBadBoy KaneDomBadBoy is a moron who wanted Son dropped for Lamela.

After insulting Son yesterday for not scoring enough, now they’re fantasising about the idea of him being sold.

Big clubs keep their best players, and then gain extra revenue from higher league table finishes, trophies, and European qualification; which they reinvest.
Selling clubs sell their best players and just become feeders to other top teams. They lose out from revenue of European qualification but gain money from player sales.

I’d prefer Spurs to at least aim for the big club mentality.
Aim for big club mentality when we do not have the financial means to do so? That's like a homeless man aiming to buy a mansion.

Liverpool sold countinho and it didnt stop them winning the league. Chelsea sold Hazard and still have one of the best squads in the PL. RBL and Dortmund sell their players and it hasn't stopped them from being competitive.

We don't have the luxury of funds that those big clubs have and will be stupid to run our club like their in the name of some 'big club mentality'.

I understand being a fan but it shouldn't cloud one's judgement to the extent of sacrificing the club's interests.

BTW how is that big club mentality working for Barcelona?

Liverpool sold countinho and it didnt stop them winning the league.
They already had a world class front 3, so sold their 4th attacker and bought a CB which they needed.

BTW how is that big club mentality working for Barcelona?
You mean the club who sold Neymar and couldn’t replace him despite signing 3 £100M+ players?

We don't have the luxury of funds that those big clubs have and will be stupid to run our club like their in the name of some 'big club mentality'.
The only hope we have of becoming a big club is keeping our best players and then reinvesting the money we get from CL qualification to build a world class team.
Becoming a feeder club won’t win us anything.

As a player that primarily relies on his pace, Son is very vulnerable to a steep decline within 1-2 years. 29-30 seems to be the age where father time becomes visible for most wingers. Look what happened to Hazard...
very true. physically its downhill from here for son and thats what his game relies on. the time to sell would be this summer. as long as the money is reinvested back in the team its a smart move

very true. physically its downhill from here for son and thats what his game relies on. the time to sell would be this summer. as long as the money is reinvested back in the team its a smart move
He’s also a clinical finisher so could easily reinvent his game in his 30s in more of a CF role.
Aubamayang relies on athleticism to a far greater extent than Son, and he was in great form last season while aged 31.

Well he’s already adjusted his game from a LW under poch to more centrally under Jose. One of the highest in both goals and assists so far this season in PL.
I think his football IQ is higher than the IQ of any Spurs ‘fan’ who wants to sell him. 👍
changing from LW to more centrally is a little different to reinventing your game once your pace has gone

You sell cos this is likely the best time to do so. The alternative is to watch him decline while not having the funds to get an adequate replacement. Like it or not, we simply dont have the funds to run a transfer policy of holding on to ageing players.

The question of if the money would be spent on a good replacement is irrelevant, as we would have to get a replacement in a few seasons irrespective. In fact, having more funds makes it more likely to get it right than bargain shopping for unproven talent.

As an example, a sale of Son for £70-80m gives us the opportunity to get a replacement for £40-50m while still having £20-40m for another quality addition to the squad. That is far better than looking for an undiscovered gem for less than £20m

I agree with the sentiment and you are correct not selling him because you don't have faith in who we replace him with is a reason to improve your transfer team not to keep someone. However, I have doubts that we could get that much for him and with Levy, Hitchens and Jose likely going nowhere we are stuck with a terrible group deciding our transfers.

I agree with the sentiment and you are correct not selling him because you don't have faith in who we replace him with is a reason to improve your transfer team not to keep someone. However, I have doubts that we could get that much for him and with Levy, Hitchens and Jose likely going nowhere we are stuck with a terrible group deciding our transfers.
Okay let’s say you’ve replaced Hitchens.
Who would you replace Son with?

Okay let’s say you’ve replaced Hitchens.
Who would you replace Son with?

Are you saying Son is irreplaceable? That is kind of insane.

We are currently outside the top 4 and were outside the top 4 last year and have a lot of holes we should look at anything that potentially improves the team. Nobody should be untouchable on this team.

Are you saying Son is irreplaceable? That is kind of insane.

We are currently outside the top 4 and were outside the top 4 last year and have a lot of holes we should look at anything that potentially improves the team. Nobody should be untouchable on this team.
I’m just asking a question.
You want to sell Son. Who would you replace him with?

I’m just asking a question.
You want to sell Son. Who would you replace him with?

I don't want to sell Son, I said if we can get a big over pay for him we should look at that option.

It is ridiculous that saying that makes people get so defensive.

Edit:

If I were to sell Son I would likely look to upgrade at other positions and take a drop down from him at Winger because I think our team can get stronger if we have better players at other positions even with a "lesser" player than Son on the wing.

Son will be 29 this summer. What we are seeing is most likely than not his peak. After this will be the inevitable decline. But you think the chances of winning trophies will be better after he declines?

Keeping old players is not going to win us anything. The best thing to do is sell them and buy younger players that can extend our window of opportunity.

When we have a squad of top quality young players, and/or we have the funds to compete with the top spenders in Europe, then we can talk of milking the entire career of our top players and not worry about sell on value.
You never said after they decline you said once they hit peak value which is when they are mid 20s. We will win nothing by that logic

You said the issue was you don’t trust our transfer team, not with selling Son.
So I’m asking a fair question. Who would you replace Son with? Budget of ~£80M.

That was part of the reason yes but I also said that is a poor reason not to sell.

I said I would look to probably strengthen the CM/CAM and CB position and try to bring in someone like Leao to replace Son. It would be a downgrade from Son to his direct replacement but also a way to improve the squad overall. Similar to when Liverpool sold Coutinho to fund their squad changes.

Again are you such a Son fanboi that you think he can't be sold? That is such a ridiculous notion.

Back
Top Bottom