Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Scarlett scores five in big win over Newport | Tottenham Hotspur

Matt Taylor (u18 coach) :
''When I look at the positives to come out of the game, obviously Dane scoring five goals is fantastic, Roshaun Mathurin was very good with his performance and there were a couple of others like Nile John and Kallum Cesay who came out of the game the right way, but the main aim for us today was to win the game and we did that.”

Lo-Tutala (c), Cesay, Kyezu (Hackett 66), John, Muir, Lusala, Whittaker (Donley 46), Cassanova (Carrington 81), Scarlett, Santiago, Mathurin.

Substitutes (not used): Hayton, J Davies, Haysman.

Spurs played their FA Youth Cup 3rd round back in January v Newport with Scarlett scoring 5 in a 6 - 2 win - but a number of clubs did not play before January lockdown and have just resumed playing these,

Spurs 4th round match against AFC Wimbledon or Burnley is likely to be scheduled for the end of this month/start of April

Hi fellas

Anyone got any footage of the Chelsea U18 game a few days ago. I''m hearing good things about some of the players. Can any of you youth watchers give me a heads up on some of them, who I need to be keeping an eye out for (Scarlett and Devine I've seen glimpses of).

Hi fellas

Anyone got any footage of the Chelsea U18 game a few days ago. I''m hearing good things about some of the players. Can any of you youth watchers give me a heads up on some of them, who I need to be keeping an eye out for (Scarlett and Devine I've seen glimpses of).

They are probably the only two players who would make it at Spurs. So just keep your eyes on them.

The full match is here though

Not a golden era by any stretch but almost all have got a pro career out of it.

Amos particularly unlucky with injuries.

KWP and Josh particularly unlucky with their manager.

They are probably the only two players who would make it at Spurs. So just keep your eyes on them.

The full match is here though

After that game, and based on that alone, I'd say Mathurin looked every bit as good as Scarlett, without the physiology (good technique, positioning etc).

Have concern about Scarlett's demeanor, he's got the surly edge.

Hi fellas

Scarlett and Devine are the obvious ones, but I'd put Mathurin (winger) not far behind, and given our limited alternatives playing as wide AM's I think has a decent chance of making it - but all 3 with the caveat that its a long way to go for 16/17 year olds to get to first team.

I quite liked Muir (CB) and his less visible partner Paskotsi who defended well and ensured ball went forward efficiently. Lusala (RB) was possibly the standout player last season in u18's but doesn't seem to have carried that form into this season.

But truth to tell the team as a whole was pretty good, with no poor performances.

This is pretty much as I recall although Mundle and Mathurin might be on the wrong sides in a fairly fluid 433/4231

Lo-Tutala (c),
Lusala, Muir, Paskotsi, Kyezu,
Matthew Craig, Michael Craig, Scarlett (J Davies 72), Devine (Whittaker 62),
Mathurin ,Scarlett Mundle (Cesay 78).
Substitute (not used): Hayton.

After that game, and based on that alone, I'd say Mathurin looked every bit as good as Scarlett, without the physiology (good technique, positioning etc).

Have concern about Scarlett's demeanor, he's got the surly edge.

I think that's common with a lot of players, especially the talented ones. It's a hunger, a need-to-win attitude. Also as a sixteen year old you're going through puberty, I imagine we were all a bit surly at one point in our development.

Scarlett and Devine are the obvious ones, but I'd put Mathurin (winger) not far behind, and given our limited
Devine's clearly class.

Mathurin looked very skilful - free kick was a belter, went high and dipped, maybe might have beaten a wall of taller senior footballers too. Very neat flick with left peg to mug the defender and volleyed left peg finish for the 3rd.

Scarlett is very physical, will be interesting to see how he develops against senior centre backs who won't be bullied.

Muir looked a useful CB.

Good interplay down our left #11 and #3, obviously for the first goal but not the only time. Mundle and Kyesu?

That first goal - some great possession football, great the scorer Lusala arriving late in the box was the RB.

Seemed to get the rub of the green for once with ref decisions. The 2nd looked a foul by Craig the assister, but great credit for pressing the last defender on the edge of the box.

Zest Zest mentioned Scarlett's surly edge. I wasn't bothered by that, he didn't seem to do much fouling.

But Devine - he's the one with attitude! Got red in the previous one I saw for kicking Drinkwater, got a yellow this time (kicking ball away?), always in the ref's face nattering, walked straight past when subbed!

Were Chavs missing lots of players? They were battered. Whittaker (?) missing from a yard out after a deflection made it sound a lot worse than it was. That would have been 7 (seven)

Why can't Spurs televise Youth games? There must be a reason

Is there a worry with Scarlett that his goalscoring prowess is down to hitting puberty early?

Seen it happen too many times when a guy bags dozens of goals from u16s onwards but never really makes a dent in mens football

Devine's clearly class.

Mathurin looked very skilful - free kick was a belter, went high and dipped, maybe might have beaten a wall of taller senior footballers too. Very neat flick with left peg to mug the defender and volleyed left peg finish for the 3rd.

Scarlett is very physical, will be interesting to see how he develops against senior centre backs who won't be bullied.

Muir looked a useful CB.

Good interplay down our left #11 and #3, obviously for the first goal but not the only time. Mundle and Kyesu?

That first goal - some great possession football, great the scorer Lusala arriving late in the box was the RB.

Seemed to get the rub of the green for once with ref decisions. The 2nd looked a foul by Craig the assister, but great credit for pressing the last defender on the edge of the box.

Zest Zest mentioned Scarlett's surly edge. I wasn't bothered by that, he didn't seem to do much fouling.

But Devine - he's the one with attitude! Got red in the previous one I saw for kicking Drinkwater, got a yellow this time (kicking ball away?), always in the ref's face nattering, walked straight past when subbed!

Were Chavs missing lots of players? They were battered. Whittaker (?) missing from a yard out after a deflection made it sound a lot worse than it was. That would have been 7 (seven)

Why can't Spurs televise Youth games? There must be a reason

Agree with all that.

Mathurin I put as 3rd best in the Academy Year Group when they were first announced almost a year ago, but if anything in the Chelsea game he seemed to have taken an extra step up - and that free kick would be the envy of a few PL players imo. Spurs lack class wide forwards/AM's (especially after Mandueke moved on) with probably only 19 year old J'Lloyd Bennet (who hasn't featured much this season) as anywhere near Mathurin's standard so I think he has a decent chance of making it.

We might have ridden our luck a little (esp. 2nd goal as you say) but there were a lot of good performances from all over the team - I mentioned Muir, Paskotsi and Lusala in my earlier post, but agree Kyezu and Mundle could get a mention, as could one or both of the Craig twins inn CM and Lo-Tutala did well when called on.

Dane Scarlett is a big guy for a 16 year old, but also very talented, so whilst he may lose some of his current advantages as others of his age develop, I think he will remain a class centre forward, and as we saw in a couple of first team cameos he can already worry first team players now. But at aged 16, its too early to be sure of any of any these players.

Chelsea may have moved a couple of their u18's up to u23's - but otherwise I'm not sure they were that under strength and the Chelsea commentators didn't mention missing players once in their very partisan commentary. Overall I think our players were just better than theirs in most positions, and they did not have any 'star' players whereas I'd suggest Scarlett, Devine and Mathurin probably are 'star' players at this level - and that made the difference.

I've never seen a reason put forward for not televising youth matches - I doubt if its cost although there would be some - and at some stage I hope Spurs do.

Is there a worry with Scarlett that his goalscoring prowess is down to hitting puberty early?

Seen it happen too many times when a guy bags dozens of goals from u16s onwards but never really makes a dent in mens football

Fair question, but as I wrote earlier :

Dane Scarlett is a big guy for a 16 year old, but also very talented, so whilst he may lose some of his current advantages as others of his age develop, I think he will remain a class centre forward, and as we saw in a couple of first team cameos he can already worry first team players now. Most 16 year olds wouldn't cope

But at aged 16, its too early to be sure of any of any these players.

Harvey White starts for Portsmouth in the EFL Trophy final at Wembley. Live on sky sports 3pm
Nice bonus for him.
Parrott back starting for Ipswich.

Harvey definitely gets a pizza the action

Clarke and Parrott also start with their various loan clubs

Eyoma back on bench as Lincoln try to accommodate their January signing

Tracey and Okedina both on bench at Cambridge

But Fagan-Walcott gets a start at Dundee, as does Sterling at Greenock Morton

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom