Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has to stay at least another year. Unless we've got 80M+ to spend on 2 top centre-halves, which is what that might cost (and that's being conservative).

He is probably coming towards the end of his PL career but has still been our best defender this year which says a lot about the other options.

What gets me with all the criticism of our CB's that Rodon is not getting even on the bench. He did make a couple of mistakes but they all have and should be given a chance.

I don't get leaving him out of EL and then not starting him in PL.

I haven't seen anything to indicate he will be anything more than a squad player for us but we might as well find out. Limiting our ability to use him because of some silly notion that we have to go with the guys who got us here, when it is a part of football that every team deals with and every player understands was pointless.

Maybe the excuse is that Jose had no idea Sanchez and Toby would work so he thought he would have to use EL for Sanchez, but honestly if Sanchez wasn't good enough to get PL time is there much need for him to play in the EL.

The Wolfsberger and Zagreb games would have been great to give Rodon a chance against weaker opposition to see if he is up to getting a chance in the PL.

I know we have recent good results with him playing on the left but I prefer him on the right.
Can't remember the last time I saw him make a decent long pass.

So Jose was claiming him and Aurier only turned up to training on Sat. Now I'm reading reports that Toby was in fact training on the Thursday - it's in a fair few newspaper reports . So is Jose now resorting to blatant lies to cover up his dodgy team selections and ostracising of players? If so, what a cunt and he's done.

Last edited:
So Jose was claiming him and Aurier only turned up to training on Sat. Now I'm reading reports that Toby was in fact training on the Thursday - it's in a fair few newspaper reports . So is Jose now resorting to blatant lies to cover up his dodgy team selections and ostracising of players? Is so, what a cunt and he's done.
My interpretation of this situation is that Toby is one of the (now many) 'Jose out' players and Jose knows this so is trying his best to freeze him out. The only explanation for not playing him this season compared to the shite he's been rolling out every week with Sanchez and Dier.

So does he stick with Sanchez who had an awful game yesterday or bring Toby back? Well I would play Toby every time but after the lie it is difficult to see how he would explain him not playing.

Seems dodgy as fuck. To y was playing until recently but there is no way he has been responsible for the insepid performances and goals conceded recently. He didn’t even play against Dynamo. So kit sure what he has done to be now ostracised.

Hopefully one of the so-called journalists who report on the club will be able to question Mourinho and clear this up.

I won't hold my breath though.

Jose will just claim he misspoke, or more likely that he was misquoted.

Spin, spin. spin, not his fault, he loves Toby, Toby loves him. everything is great, not his fault, the players suck, but he loves every player and they love him.

Jose will just claim he misspoke, or more likely that he was misquoted.

Spin, spin. spin, not his fault, he loves Toby, Toby loves him. everything is great, not his fault, the players suck, but he loves every player and they love him.
It's actually incredible the amount of bullshit someone can get away with unchallenged.

I mean what is actually going on here? Does he think fans are stupid? There are literally pictures posted by the club of Toby training on Thursday...

I can’t wait to see how the prick tries to weasel out of this one...

#tobygate continues.

The Joker Popcorn GIF

Not playing Toby was criminal. And why was Aurier left out? These guys both need to be in our first 11 right now. There's no more EL. The fixture calendar including Newcastle is totally reasonable. The only short rest game we've got is Aston Villa on May 15. So play the best players!

"Despite his restoration to the team last season there was every expectation that Tottenham would lose the Belgian in the summer transfer window as soon as the clause in his contract became active. That clause, triggered by Spurs extending the centre-back's contract by a year, meant that until the final two weeks of the 2019 summer transfer window any club offering £25m for his services would have their bid accepted. A done deal surely?

The player, his representatives and Tottenham watched the clause period open and they waited....and waited...and they waited until it closed without a single bid matching that relatively low release figure.

For a player often considered to be one of the best defenders the Premier League has to offer, for not one club - many with defensive problems - to want to seal a bargain £25m signing is mind-boggling on the face of it. Alderweireld, who has been capped 92 times by Belgium, could fit into any team in the Premier League or Champions League with relative ease.

When you look at the money splashed around on £80m Harry Maguire or even the £26.5m to take Tryone Mings to Aston Villa, it's hard to understand why Alderweireld was left on the shelf in the transfer market. Only Roma came forward with any real interest and the Serie A side had no interest in bidding anywhere near the £25m required for a Rolls Royce of a player."

"Despite his restoration to the team last season there was every expectation that Tottenham would lose the Belgian in the summer transfer window as soon as the clause in his contract became active. That clause, triggered by Spurs extending the centre-back's contract by a year, meant that until the final two weeks of the 2019 summer transfer window any club offering £25m for his services would have their bid accepted. A done deal surely?

The player, his representatives and Tottenham watched the clause period open and they waited....and waited...and they waited until it closed without a single bid matching that relatively low release figure.

For a player often considered to be one of the best defenders the Premier League has to offer, for not one club - many with defensive problems - to want to seal a bargain £25m signing is mind-boggling on the face of it. Alderweireld, who has been capped 92 times by Belgium, could fit into any team in the Premier League or Champions League with relative ease.

When you look at the money splashed around on £80m Harry Maguire or even the £26.5m to take Tryone Mings to Aston Villa, it's hard to understand why Alderweireld was left on the shelf in the transfer market. Only Roma came forward with any real interest and the Serie A side had no interest in bidding anywhere near the £25m required for a Rolls Royce of a player."
Do you have a point mate or are just throwing it out there,?

Alistair Gold seems to think the relationship between Toby and Jose is at the very least volatile.

Back
Top Bottom