Roy Keane On Spurs 'Softness'

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mr. Voldemort

No More Mr Nice Guy
Hello to all, I've managed to get my hands on an internet PC for a few hours so have been catching up on all the news. I spotted this link and whilst I hate Roy Keane he does tell it as he sees it.

I loved the author's comments, particularly : As I’ve made the point before; professional sport only works one way. If that weren’t the case, golf courses would have no holes and racecourses wouldn’t have a finish line.

I fully understand Jamie's attempts to defend the club but he's clearly struggling against the harsh reality of titles and cup successes. So I'll ask the older members here, has this 'softness' gone on for 40 years ??

Great to be on the internet, I've been like a kid in a sweet shop :) .... take care all. Hopefully catch up with you all again soon. :thumbup:

It's just a popular media narrative that's easy to wheel out whenever we don't win. Why is it only ever Spurs that are accused of this softness? There are plenty of sides that have won equally few trophies since PL clubs became the popular plaything for the filthy rich, yet I seldom hear about Roy Keane going off on a rant about how 'ard or soft they are.

To add, us giving up so many points from winning positions this season has fuck all to do with Spurs sides in the 80/90/00s being pretty rather than gritty, or some nonsense idea of a dna that runs through the club.

Hello to all, I've managed to get my hands on an internet PC for a few hours so have been catching up on all the news. I spotted this link and whilst I hate Roy Keane he does tell it as he sees it.

I loved the author's comments, particularly : As I’ve made the point before; professional sport only works one way. If that weren’t the case, golf courses would have no holes and racecourses wouldn’t have a finish line.

I fully understand Jamie's attempts to defend the club but he's clearly struggling against the harsh reality of titles and cup successes. So I'll ask the older members here, has this 'softness' gone on for 40 years ??

Great to be on the internet, I've been like a kid in a sweet shop :) .... take care all. Hopefully catch up with you all again soon. :thumbup:
Good to hear from you
Hope all is well

Keane still lives in the 1990s. He's got nothing meaningful to contribute to any debate. He just says things to get attention. Sky Sports in general is borderline unwatchable.

As a club we are painfully soft. It is so fcuking apparent it is untrue.

We had a wonderful period of change under Pochettino and he fell at the final hurdle who remembers Crisp for am appropriate analogy or Jimmy White?

Too many and sometimes me included believe it us just about quality- it isn't.

It's also about some hidden ingredient that we just do not seem able to get our hands on.

We need a manager and players who can find the mindset of winners. The day that occurs we may return to the days of Nicholson, a man who would be ashamed of the jelly like softness we are displaying at present.

The usual suspects will come out and bemoan Keane but look at the trophy cabinet, look at the games lost over the years (not just this season) from winning positions,. These things are more than just a set of unfortunate coincidences.

Last edited:
Keane still lives in the 1990s. He's got nothing meaningful to contribute to any debate. He just says things to get attention. Sky Sports in general is borderline unwatchable.
He's there to be a WUM, whilst occasionally funny in the main it's boring and childish. Sky in general are a joke, no proper punditry at all. When Trent scored the winner on Saturday Carragher screamed are you watching Gary Neville? It really is school playground stuff.

As a club we are painfully soft. It is so fcuking apparent it is untrue.

We had a wonderful period of change under Pochettino and he fell at the final hurdle who remembers Crisp for am appropriate analogy or Jimmy White?

Too many and sometimes me included believe it us just about quality- it isn't.

It's also about some hidden ingredient that we just do not seem able to get our hands on.

We need a manager and players who can find the mindset of winners. The day that occurs we may return to the days of Nicholson, a man who would be ashamed of the jelly like softness we are displaying at present.

The usual suspects will come out and bemoan Keane but look at the trophy cabinet, look at the games lost over the years (not just this season) from winning positions,. These things are more than just a set of unfortunate coincidences.
Agreed

I don’t like Keane for various reasons but in this instance he’s right imv

It's just a popular media narrative that's easy to wheel out whenever we don't win. Why is it only ever Spurs that are accused of this softness? There are plenty of sides that have won equally few trophies since PL clubs became the popular plaything for the filthy rich, yet I seldom hear about Roy Keane going off on a rant about how 'ard or soft they are.

I'd agree with this - off the top of my head why do the likes Villa, Everton, Newcastle not get accused of being soft & bottlers?

Leeds? Sheffield Wednesday? Probably missing a few more as well.

All of these teams had enjoyed success in the past and all have won f*ck all for decades. I'd say that most of those also have a similar size fanbase to us as well.

He's not right this is empty headed crap brought by the empty headed. Trophies are with a few anachronistic stand outs, won by investment. We very nearly went bust in the 90s, ironically after a period of winning trophies. This idiotic narrative could be said of nearly all the EPL clubs. Villa were winning the championship league in the 80"-s then what...This country is full of lazy people spouting lazy clichés. The man has nothing to offer regards analysis of the game walked out on his country in a world Cup useless as a manager amazed anyone takes him seriously.

Spurs having a soft underbelly is a criticism aimed at us ,with some justification since the late 80s.Pretty much since Maxie ,Stevie P and Robbo moved on.

What did Keane win before he went to Utd? What did he win after he left? What did he win as a manager? What did he win with Ireland?

Nothing. He played for the richest club in the country under the best manager in their history so he has a shit ton of trophies. They would have won most of them without him. Without Ferguson and Utd he's as soft as he thinks Spurs are

He's not right this is empty headed crap brought by the empty headed. Trophies are with a few anachronistic stand out won by investment. We very nearly went bust in the 90s ironically after a period of winning trophies. This idiotic narrative could be said of nearly all the EPL clubs. Villa were winning the championship league in the 80"-s then what...This country is full of lazy people spouting lazy clichés.

What did Keane win before he went to Utd? What did he win after he left? What did he win as a manager? What did he win with Ireland?

Nothing. He played for the richest club in the country under the best manager in their history so he has a shit ton of trophies. They would have won most of them without him. Without Ferguson and Utd he's as soft as he thinks Spurs are
Its so fucking stupid but its also Goebels 101. Say "spurs are soft " because they along with 95% of teams don't win anything repeat since the 80's despite winning two FA cups and Ueffa Cup and two league cups in this time and thick fucks(even our own support) will repeat it.

We're Liverpool soft for 30 years too? Or only spurs? Theirs fans at least were not stupid enough to nod along whilst being shit on by a talentless agitators.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe"

Attributed to an evil old Nazi

He’s not wrong about is being soft but he’s a fucking weapon

His stint as a manager was laughable, he’s stuck in the 90’s and has no intention of understanding that the game has changed

He's there to be a WUM, whilst occasionally funny in the main it's boring and childish. Sky in general are a joke, no proper punditry at all. When Trent scored the winner on Saturday Carragher screamed are you watching Gary Neville? It really is school playground stuff.

It's all about narratives. Storylines. Dramatic evolvement.

Clubs being reduced to protagonists and antagonists.

So little genuine sports coverage.

"Mentally weak" is just a lazy buzzword, just like "Spursy" and other crap some people spout

We have numerous winners at the club, they have shown it at this club and previous ones.
Every final we have reached we have been up against much better invested in clubs.
Every final we have reached we have shown we have been mentally tough enough to get there.
To over-achieve relative in the league for numerous successive seasons showed we were not mentally weak.

What we are are the moment is under-coached, under-prepared, very low on confidence, tactics that don't suit the players, a manager that doesn't suit and has fallen out with some of the players, and no doubt some players no longer looking forward to coming in to work every day and being at the club.

We are currently in a spell of being very poorly run on the playing side of the club, from board downwards, and that is feeding through to what we see on the pitch.

I'd agree with this - off the top of my head why do the likes Villa, Everton, Newcastle not get accused of being soft & bottlers?

All of these teams had enjoyed success in the past and all have won f*ck all for decades. I'd say that most of those also have a similar size fanbase to us as well.
You could include Palace as well tbf

"Mentally weak" is just a lazy buzzword, just like "Spursy" and other crap some people spout

We have numerous winners at the club, they have shown it at this club and previous ones.
Every final we have reached we have been up against much better invested in clubs.
Every final we have reached we have shown we have been mentally tough enough to get there.
To over-achieve relative in the league for numerous successive seasons showed we were not mentally weak.

What we are are the moment is under-coached, under-prepared, very low on confidence, tactics that don't suit the players, a manager that doesn't suit and has fallen out with some of the players, and no doubt some players no longer looking forward to coming in to work every day and being at the club.

We are currently in a spell of being very poorly run on the playing side of the club, from board downwards, and that is feeding through to what we see on the pitch.
You know what's funny and absolutely proves the bull shit. I'm old enough to recall Burkinshaws Spurs side that won two FA cups the Ueffa cup and challenge for the title. No one suddenly went like David Brent ooh their so hard now. Reducing winning and losing down to character not culture and technical ability is why this country is a footballing joke.

Comparing us to them. How far we have fallen.

We are serial bottle jobs.

Painful but true and using that group of teams to argue the point is quite embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom