European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
This conversation comes round so often, I usually dismiss it as the standard annual bullshit.

I do wonder, however, if COVID is being used as an opportunity. If that sort of money is legitimately being offered, of course the greedy cunts will grab it.

Will games be played midweek or the weekend or a mixture of the two?

With all these American investors they'd want a lot of games played at the weekend so where does that leave the PL?

Would we play midweek PL games and weekend jet off to Madrid or Munich or Miami for a "showpiece" game?

We're pretty bad right now, by the time it starts we could be even worse!

If this goes through it will kill lower leagues, they're barely surviving as it is but with a drop in PL revenue and the paltry amounts already receive things would become even worse and many would have to go semi-pro or fold completely.

It's not about the sport of football, it's about sheer greed.

No real football fan is for this proposal.

One thing the PL clubs must try and do is push for more CL places due to the historically higher number of genuinely big clubs in the PL. The big European clubs have an advantage because they're virtually guaranteed to qualify for the CL, even if they have a bad year.

The PL clubs could kill off the ESL by pulling out and an offer of more CL places could do that, or guaranteeing the top 16 Uefa ranked teams qualify.

If you set aside the despicable shameless cash grab aspect that will completely gut what little remaining soul that is left in football these days, can you just imagine how shit it would be to endure watching Spurs get pumped game after game by Europe's leading clubs, without (I assume) even the sweet reprieve of relegation to allow us to play someone more on our level?

We aren't even competitive in a league made up of West Ham, Villa, Burnley, Newcastle etc! Fuck me, they've got a nerve even calling it the European Super League if they're going to let a bunch of jokers like us in...

Besides, what is the point in following if they're going to strip away local rivalries, what is special about a big European game if ALL games are 'big' European games?

Surely this is going to be a massive shoot themselves in the foot deal? Who in their right mind wants this? And if no fans want it then the TV money won't stay high for long surely? Or is that just wishful thinking from me?

Overseas subscriptions and TV deals.

One thing the PL clubs must try and do is push for more CL places due to the historically higher number of genuinely big clubs in the PL. The big European clubs have an advantage because they're virtually guaranteed to qualify for the CL, even if they have a bad year.

The PL clubs could kill off the ESL by pulling out and an offer of more CL places could do that, or guaranteeing the top 16 Uefa ranked teams qualify.
Isn't that what UEFA are about to offer as part of the Champions League reform?

My personal view is to scrap the EL and ECL. Put everyone in the CL, expand it, it would be easy to do, just have 5-6 single game knockout qualifying games before the group stages.

That would allow probably 8 English teams or more in but only 2-3 automatically qualify for the group stage. Make the league, FA cup and League Cup winners auto qualify (help make domestic cups more valuable) and the other team have to play knockouts based on where they finished in the league.

And the fucking brass nutsacks on Levy to sign up to this when we haven’t won shit.

Cheeky cunt.

Yep, with one stroke of a pen he's increase the value of the club substantially and all without winning a single trophy.

I guess the only silver lining if this were to come to pass that it's likely ENIC would receive their asking price and we'd have new owners.

not like this GIF

If you set aside the despicable shameless cash grab aspect that will completely gut what little remaining soul that is left in football these days, can you just imagine how shit it would be to endure watching Spurs get pumped game after game by Europe's leading clubs, without (I assume) even the sweet reprieve of relegation to allow us to play someone more on our level?

We aren't even competitive in a league made up of West Ham, Villa, Burnley, Newcastle etc! Fuck me, they've got a nerve even calling it the European Super League if they're going to let a bunch of jokers like us in...

Besides, what is the point in following if they're going to strip away local rivalries, what is special about a big European game if ALL games are 'big' European games?

Surely this is going to be a massive shoot themselves in the foot deal? Who in their right mind wants this? And if no fans want it then the TV money won't stay high for long surely? Or is that just wishful thinking from me?
Had my first cricket game of the season today. Got a golden duck, so had a good 45 overs to chat to one of the team that's a UTD fan.

You have to realise this is absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with domestic leagues. They could not give a flying fuck about local rivalries. UTD have some silly stat that one in four people on this planet is a UTD fan. They want to package this dogshit up and sell it to Thailand, India, Australia, China, USA (especially the USA actually). There will be games every night, on rotation, like US sports.

It's not *for* us.

Isn't that what UEFA are about to offer as part of the Champions League reform?

A couple of teams across Europe could get in that way from 2024 I believe. Meanwhile, upto four of the big 6 in the PL could miss out next season. Those teams should be using their clout to try and get in for next season.

Also, remember FIFA want to introduce a World Club Cup which would involve the best teams making even more money.

We'd be unlikely to get into this cup so we'd still be financially worse off than the elite clubs.

This conversation comes round so often, I usually dismiss it as the standard annual bullshit.

I do wonder, however, if COVID is being used as an opportunity. If that sort of money is legitimately being offered, of course the greedy cunts will grab it.
COVID is 100% being used as an opportunity in a variety of ways. From the sound of it, Chelsea, Woolwich and Spurs were all reluctant to throw their hat in the ring (City, too).

But Woolwich basically have been run like a CL club on a EL budget - they need a huge cash infusion. For Spurs, they've had to take out loans and missed more than a year of events at the new stadium. Neither club is really in a position to not take £300m for signing on, let alone the additional money Spurs will get to help with the stadium. And that doesn't even include the huge annual income certainty from the league.

Without COVID it's probably Liverpool, United, Juventus, Madrid and Barca trying to rally support and not getting any.

UEFAs proposed 36 team bore off competition would also be bad news for the domestic premier league and the domestic cup competitions - you'd have the top 6 or so involved in ties all over Europe that are just designed to milk the bigger teams for tv money and prop up minnow leagues

The breakaway would at least mean games you might actually want to see ...

But it's still bullshit.

A couple of teams across Europe could get in that way from 2024 I believe. Meanwhile, upto four of the big 6 in the PL could miss out next season. Those teams should be using their clout to try and get in for next season.
To get Woolwich in next season they are going to have to go down to 11th.

I can see Levy's thinking. Now that we've conquered the Premier League, we can now dominate even better competition .

Time for us to fail in a brand new league.

GIF by Identity

Last edited:
Yes play juventus, Real, Bayern every so often in a way where we‘ve earned it by being consistent the previous season okay I’m not enthralled by the current set up champions league and not being champions I’ll live with that I’ve no option but skulking our way into a super dooper league cos we’ve more money than you, nope that’s basically being hypocritical everyone on here who’s slagged of the chavs, City, dippers and any other fucker in Europe who’ve bought their way through life we aint going to be any better. I want to play West Ham, Newcastle, Leicester I want to play a random league two team in the F.A Cup and struggle like fuck yet some how by good luck & ignorance beat them I want a debate on here of what team we will put out against Southampton, WBA or Aston Villa I want a debate on our new kit and reminisce about past glories.......fuck your super league fuck Real Madrid & PSG

Back
Top Bottom