In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Still underachieves in Europe. No thanks
But is currently overachieving in the PL? I'm no fan of Rodgers but he would do a solid job and anyway we are a club who underachieve in every competition we are in. I'm not a fan of him, his personality, not easy to warm too and i think the fans will quickly turn on him if things don't go well

Martinez is no better than Mourinho, in fact Mourinho will probably make that Belgium squad play a more attractive football. The guy has 5 to 6 games a year to plan for and the team only rely on individual talent to win.

Almost 30, not very quick, he could deteriorate quickly like Alderweireld has who was very solid at the back and chipped in with goals. We need someone with good experience but with their best years ahead of them
Like a Davinson Sanchez

I genuinely believe if he was managed correctly and encouraged to beef himself up a bit there’s no reason to think his best years aren’t ahead of him

Martinez is no better than Mourinho, in fact Mourinho will probably make that Belgium squad play a more attractive football. The guy has 5 to 6 games a year to plan for and the team only rely on individual talent to win.
I also want us to get a manager that can take charge as soon as the season ends. Not a man that first has to work through (and probably go far) in a international tournament.

Am I hearing this right????

Martinez or Sarri favourites for our manager????

FFS - Is that the best we can do?

If it's really out of those two then I'd rather we choose Potter or Howe.

Martinez is a proven flop and Sarri just does not feel like a Tottenham manager.

Potter has his own "sporting director" as part of his setup.

Kyle Macaulay. He was part of his coaching staff as a analyst at Östersund. Then became chief analyst at Swansea. And he is now Brighton's head of scouting.

If we get Potter I would assume that Macaulay would follow. Maybe not as sporting director/DOF. But he would probably be given a role as head scout. And Hitchen can handle the other parts of being technical director.

Poch brought Paul Mitchell with him and look how that ended up. Macaulay may come but a couple of years with Levy will have him heading for the hills.

If Levy still believes we have an amazing squad that is underachieving and doesn't need much change then he wil go for experience like Sarri, Allegri, Rodgers or Martinez. If the club really wants to go in a different direction and reduce the age of the squad by promoting and bringing in younger players and being prepared to build again then Levy will look at a Potter or Ten Haag

It’s funny cause most people wanted van Gaal back in 2014 and were sure he’s the right man to take us forward. I remember a lot of the fans weren’t very fussed about Pochettino for various reasons. If anything it just shows that we haven’t got much of a clue and sometimes these appointments are a gamble.
Agree with this. I have very little faith in my own judgement when it comes to this sort of thing.

Not saying that I want Martinez, but for the sake of the argument and discussion. We do have some players that would suit his setup based on his world cup 2018 tactics.

Pierre could fill the Witsel role as the ball winning midfielder, with either Lo Celso or Ndombele in the De Bruyne role as the playmaker. Son could play either the Hazard or Mertens role in attack, with Lucas or Bergwijn filling the other role (this is working with out any presumed new players in). Kane obviously fills the central attacking role.

Arguably all of our fullbacks would suit his wingback system except for Ben, who could be moved more permanently into the role of a centreback. With Sessegnon taking the spot behind Reguilon.

The big question marks would be in the 3 at the back. We would need three defenders who are all comfortable on the ball. Toby and Rodon both tick those boxes. Sanchez doesn't have the comfortableness with the ball, but his pace could allow him to play sweeper behind Toby and Joe when they push forward. But we would still probably need to do some changes in the CB department just to freshen things up.

Again, not saying that I want Martinez, I am all in on Potter right now. But if we got him we do have some players that could easily slot into what seems to be his favoured system.

Martinez?

Levy is really trying to lose a fanbase isn't he. Impressive to a point in keeping wigan up for those years, but it was Big Sam football and not what suits our team or club.

But would fit the Levy profile...an older boring man he can have wine and cheese with

Last edited:
Martinez?

Levy is really trying to lose a fanbase isn't he. Impressive to a point in keeping wigan up for those years, but it was Big Sam football and not what suits our team or club.

But would fit the Levy profile...an older man he can have wine and cheese with
If we could meme links to Potter into existence we can meme Potter into the job as well.

Last edited:
Martinez?

But would fit the Levy profile...an older man he can have wine and cheese with
Martinez is 47, younger than Rodgers and Ten Haag and 2 years older than Potter

Back
Top Bottom