In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair enough. They are both important, and I think at the very least we can expect a new coach to play more attractive football. But look at Woolwich and the money they wasted on the likes of Ozil, Auba, Willian, Partey. I think their poor player recruitment is a bigger reason for their decline than their managers' performance.
Managers get the credit for a number of things, a good coaching team behind the manager is just as important as the man himself that is why I think Mourinho's meltdown at Spurs came so quickly. You are correct player recruitment is incredibly important but is not just the recruitment it is the planning behind it. The fact is Levy likes to try get a deal, the problem with this approach is that there seems to be very little planning in it and quite often we spend too long chasing dream targets like Isco and end up with Sissoko and then there was Llorente who we only signed to get one over on Chelsea.

Just an outside the box thought about Daniel Farke here (may have been mentioned before?) he brought Norwich up, took them down and he’s bringing them up again with ease.....he will most likely take them down again, but that says more about Norwich’s size and structure than their manager....

However, he obviously knows how to manage a team in a very difficult league (all be it the Championship) and has stuck with the club loyally....

Does a guy like this deserve a chance with a ELS, sorry EPL team? Who knows.
But the interesting part is his connections with the Dortmund managerial set up, and we know German football is hot thing for young talent these days, also being German helps, and I wonder with the right club and budget could he attract players form the Bundesliga and the greater Eastern European countries who usually produce Premier league quality players....
Just a thought.....
He does seem to be under the radar - I think he has said that he wants to go back to Germany next though. It would be interesting to see how he would do with a bigger club

I'd take Potter. Saw Brighton batter chelsea with a high press and system. I just want a high press, energy, identity and a pattern of play within a system then we can be a match for anyone
How the fuck are we going to play a high press with the squad we have at the moment?
We will need at least 6 new players in the starting11 and will also need to add squad players to that list

How the fuck are we going to play a high press with the squad we have at the moment?
We will need at least 6 new players in the starting11 and will also need to add squad players to that list

We need 6 new players no matter what system we play. Whether we press or not that doesn't change that.

In fact many of our players would be good or great at pressing, with Kane likely being the obvious guy that might not fit into that now.

Last edited:
We need 6 new players no matter what system we play. Whether we press out not that doesn't change that.

In fact many of our players would be good or great at pressing, with Kane likely being the obvious guy that might not fit into that now.
Many of our players would be good at pressing?
Please tell me as I can't see many with the exception of Moura who work hard enough.
The number of times that an opposition player runs 40 or 50 yards without being tackled is criminal

Ali Gold going with Ten Hag and Potter

Ali Gold going with Ten Hag and Potter

Animated GIF

Many of our players would be good at pressing?
Please tell me as I can't see many with the exception of Moura who work hard enough.
The number of times that an opposition player runs 40 or 50 yards without being tackled is criminal

Son has done well in a press under Poch. He has the work rate, intelligence and ability to do well. GLC in MF is perfect for a press, he is very quick and able to get up quickly on defenders. He also is good and the in close tackles as well.

Bergwijn has the ability to press if he is playing on RW. PEH is also someone perfectly suited to press in MF, probably actually the role he should be used in more than being a traditional DM, he work rate and willingness to run all day would fit well with in a pressing system, especially if directed better on how/when to press in a coordinated manner so he wasn't the only one doing it like he often does now.

Bale probably doesn't work well under this system, but I doubt he is here next year anyways. Alli could if he put effort into it, but like Bale I think he is gone.

Guys like Lamela, Moura both can press, but hopefully are gone.

The reason guys run that long, which is obviously vastly overrated by you, has nothing to do with our inability to press.

Potter is close to relegation with a team whose net spend is like 250m in the past few years

People really overrated these chic managers. Brighton bought Championship centre backs for like 25m a piece and should be nowhere near the bottom of the table with the amount of talent they have in the squad.

At least Ten Hag is winning games, but who wouldn't with that squad.

Potter is close to relegation with a team whose net spend is like 250m in the past few years

People really overrated these chic managers. Brighton bought Championship centre backs for like 25m a piece and should be nowhere near the bottom of the table with the amount of talent they have in the squad.

At least Ten Hag is winning games, but who wouldn't with that squad.

Where are you getting 250 million from?

Back
Top Bottom